Remington 1911 R1 Review

riggins_83

I purchased a Remington 1911 R1 today from the first shipment a local store received of them. I expected this to be a standard GI gun, I was way off. First the gun has full 3 dot sights and the best trigger pull I've ever felt in a sub $1000 1911. While it's a little heavy (around 3.5 lbs as a GI 1911 should be) there's no creep once the slacks been taken out. The trigger isn't mushy at all and breaks perfectly clean. The thumb safety isn't too hard to move, sights are great, trigger is great while the gun stays with the proper loose slide to frame fit of a GI model. Just purchased it an hour ago, I'll give a range report once I take it out.

rem1911.jpg

KyJim

That does look like a nice Government style 1911 there. I noticed quite a bit of difference in prices being asked on Gunbroker.

Don P

While it's a little heavy (around 3.5 lbs as a GI 1911 should be)

Just curious as to how you measured the trigger pull weight? Do you really consider a 3.5 lb trigger pull HEAVY?
I truly doubt that Remington is producing and shipping a 1911 with a 3.5 lb trigger with regards to todays gun production regulations.

Leejack

That's a good question.

I would guess that a factory GI is more like 7 lbs, but I don't know for sure.

3.5lbs sounds like a tuned 1911 for competition.

Please clarify when you can.

Beautiful gun!

Lee

booker_t

Remington's original announcement of the R1 indicated "a crisp 3.5-5 pound trigger pull."

So it could be that there's that much variation across their production. Their mean trigger pull is 4.25lbs, with +/- 0.75lbs.

If I'm not mistaken, two things affect trigger pull weight. The first is the 3-finger spring and the second are those little tabs at the front of the trigger bow. The spring can be adjusted by hand and the bow is adjusted with needle nose, or a light punch blow to the rear of it while installed. Not a major operation if you have some mechanical ability. Perhaps somebody with more expertise can add to that, or correct me?

Personally I'm also surprised they'd ship a trigger below 4.5lbs for liability, but I'm sure they have their ducks in a row. Congrats on getting a crisp one!

Last edited:

riggins_83

Do you really consider a 3.5 lb trigger pull HEAVY?

I've been spoiled with my bosses tweaked hair trigger Wilson 1911s.

The strange thing.. the store had two in stock left when I purchased mine, one with a very heavy trigger pull, one quite light (the one I purchased). I was surprised at the inconsistency.

Leejack

riggins, get that bad boy to the range will ya please?

I can't wait for a report; i'm considering one of these guns.

Is it made in the good ol' US of A?

Lee

Don P

I've been spoiled with my bosses tweaked hair trigger Wilson 1911s.

What does this actually mean?
Does it mean that if a "HAIR" falls on the trigger that the gun will fire?
I put this phrase in the same category as "clips"
Is it just me or is this a stupid way to describe the trigger pull of a gun?
Sounds like something you here on the old "idiot box"

Beentown71

It is a cliche that we all understand its meaning. Not everything is meant to be literal. Just in case it is not clear. He was simply meaning that his boss has light trigger pulls on the Wilsons.

Well, unless his Boss had it worked on so he can drop hairs on it to make it fire.

Now it is time for me to find the clip for my shotty. Then it is time to go to the back 40 (its really not 40 but 12) and see what the DEAGLE can do!

Really?

Beentown

pgdion

Looking forward to the range review too. I like the price, this could be my entry to the .45 cal. Been thinking there should be a 1911 style in my collection and I like 95% of the look of this gun (and I can learn to live with that big R).

Leejack

I just looked it up.

This bad boy is made in Ilion New York.

NEW YORK CEETY! isn't that where they make the hot sauce? LOL! (j/k)

I'm very interested!;)

Lee

Beentown71

I can look past the R with the USA on the side. I would buy most of my firearms from companies that manufacture here if they were all quality at a reasonable price. This one has the price. Hopefully, it will have the performance/quality.

Beentown

skoro

That's a good-lookin' 1911. My hope is that it shoots as good as it looks and that it becomes a big seller for Remington. A reasonably priced American-made 1911 would be a good thing.