Remember when you used to take everything?

jimbob86

Remember?

..... and now I have kids! Just taking the guns THEY want to shoot takes several trips!

I find I spend less time shooting than I do supervising......

warningshot

Remember the movie scene...

when Mel Gibson, in one of those Austrailian desert road warrior movies, was asked to leave all the guns he was carrying on the counter before he could go into some kind of establishment? That is me at the range; minus the good looks and the money and fame, movie contracts, fun, women, and....But I have the guns. In a range bag of course.

Shadi Khalil

I take a revolver and semi with me when I go shooting. My collection isn't nearly half of what it used to be (slowly rebuilding) but even in its heyday, two or three handguns and one long was usually the most I'd take to the range.

langenc

Wife and I went to BR match took 4 guns.

Suhl,and Rem 40x for BR. Took the Kimber 82G for the iron sight match and the Ruger Mark III, hanfgun for the Ruger Challenge practice. Should have taken the Rem 66 for the practice also. They let me use a 10/22, I guess. All it did was give me a click, twice before I laid it down and quit.

Cheapshooter

Maybe you could share your ideas?

The bed liner in my Ram has ledge areas about one foot in front of the tailgate, on the top of the wheel wells, and one foot behind the front of the bed. They are sized to fit a 2X4 as a divider. or maybe a brace if you want to make the bed a double deck of something. I took a couple 1X6 boards, and attached 1 2X4 to one, and a 2X6 to the other in a "T" arrangement. Then cut the ends of the 1X6's to fit in the ledge. I put Velcro on them to hold them in place, but be removable. I took a 2" hole saw, and cut 10 holes in the 2X4 with the bottom of the hole half way down. Then made straight cuts to the top forming a "U" for the forearms, or barrels to rest in. On the 2X6 I cut the 2" holes in alignment with the ones in the 2X4, and again with the bottom half way down. With these I cut an angled slice to the top of the board forming a "V" for the buttocks. A bungee cord stretched across the guns secures them in case of rough roads
I haven't painted, or stained them, but I guess you could. Also you could use some carpet scraps to line the slots for the guns if you wanted.
BTW, I also have a lockable fiberglass hard tonneau cover on my truck for security.
I did think on my way up there that if I get stopped, and a State Trooper looks in the back I'm really gonna have an interesting day!:eek:

dbluefish

How Many?

Well it used to be easy, my Ruger P85 MkII and my ancient Savage 187A. Shoot in the woods, paper targets, etc.

Then I got my Ruger LC9(CCW),my S&W MP22, My AK47 WASR10 and.....damn I was losing concentration.

So, to honor ny decision to take just one and work the hell out of it, I have a Mosin Nagant 91 30 coming and it will be my first to go as my single weapon.
Besides I hear the recoil might mmake for a short trip, lol.

paul

I also have a Savage 12Ga single shot but my range does not allow shotguns.

rep1954

After posting here on this thread I got to thinking why not just take one gun shooting on Tuesday night, so I did. I must of spent 20 hours in my head trying to decide on what gun I was going to take for 1 1/2 hours of shooting. I ended up taking my Ruger Single Six Stainless 6 1/2" barrel with only the mag cylinder. I took along 150 rounds of Winchester 22WRF and shot in it. I had a great time but man what pressure trying to decide. Dont know if I will do that again.

cwok

How many guns ?

When shooting a pistol:

1 - Always a .22, if I don't shoot it, I have often offered it as a loaner to someone who brought an obviously new shooter but who only has a center fire weapon for them to use.
I'd say about 75% of the time they take me up on the offer - I give them twenty or thirty rounds for my Ruger.

2 --Almost always some verision of a 1911 in 45 acp.

3 -- Usually a third pistol, 10MM, .357 or maybe another 45 acp.

I've only have one rifle (.22), so that decision has been easy; but I just bought a sporterized Krag that I'm having a gunsmith check out before I start working on it (want to mount a reflex sight).

Last edited:

johnbt

We took everything.

For the 16 years after my parents retired, about once a month I'd load up my stuff and drive 100 miles to their house for a light lunch. Then we'd load my stuff into their car for the 26 mile drive to the isolated range he belonged to in the mountains. I joined eventually.

We would load my mother into the back seat with her book and off we'd go.

Being a $26 a year range, we took water, toilet paper for the outhouse, target stands if we wanted to shoot closer than 100 yards, and sometimes a clean change of clothes if it was hot. After shooting for a few hours we'd drive into Lexington and take mom to dinner.

John

Metal god

AR build

PSA lower . DEL-Ton everything else .Mid length ,heavy chrome lined barrel ,1-7 twist $600 out the door . very happy with it

phone2010.jpg

I also bought a 308 Ruger american for $390 out the door Im pretty happy with that as well.

phone2004.jpg

Last edited: