Rem 788, is it wrong

Frontierfrank

I love me some 788's. First new rifle I owned was a 788 .22-250 bought at the Base Exchange in Bedford, Mass on a 2nd looey's salary in '68 or '69. Shoots dime sized groups at 100 yd. Cost new $88 and change as I recall.

Bought another new 788 in PA after I got out of the military. It was 6mm Rem and not as accurate as the .22-250. 3/4" groups were fairly common; sub-MOA reliably. Cost new was $110. Decided to clean out all the copper fouling and groups at 100 yd opened to 1.25".

Bought a used 788 carbine in IN in the 90s. Caliber was .308 Win. and someone had tried to glass bed the action in the wood stock. They did a poor job. Put it in a drop-in plastic Ramline stock (remember them?) and got it shooting. It was picky. Nothing did very well (1.5"@100yd) until it got to 125gr. Handloads. Then it perked right up. If you kept the barrel cool, it came close to the .22-250's precision. Cost used: $250. Handy little thing.

Still have 'em all. Sadly, no .30-30s or 44 mags. Saw 'em at gun shows going for not too much, but laughed at the calibers. The greater fool, I.

The moral of this 788 tale is; If you have one that shoots, don't mess with it.

gwpercle

I have learned one thing in the last 50 years hunting , shooting , reloading and altering guns .

When you get your hands on a good shooter ... like you say your 788 30-30 is ...
Don't go acting the fool and screw it up ... I see REGRET written all over this story .
Keep that rifle just like it is and SHOOT it and enjoy the Tack Driving accuracy .

DO NOT rebarrel , cut down the existing barrel or add no flash supressor sub-sonic do-dah's or BS ... You got a shooter ... Shoot it !
Shooters don't come around very often so don't screw it up .
Gary