Rem .44 Magnum same as .44 Magnum?

Bob Wright

NoSecond Best said:

Amazing. Eighteen answers for a yes or no question. For the OP....YES. I'd hesitate to ask this crew what time it is, I'd end up knowing how to make a watch. The only reason I stopped on this post today was to see how that question drew so many responses. Heard a lot of stuff I never heard before though.

Well excuse us for talking guns and ammunition. I was sort of under the impression that was what this forum was about. Apologies if we wearied your eyes. You were welcome to stop reading at any time.

Bob Wright

Kev

No2ndbest wrote
Heard a lot of stuff I never heard before though.

Then quit yer....

I mean you are welcome;)

"The Colt Montor was select fire, semi or full auto, as I recall. But a rifle, none the less."

Uhm... No.

It was a lightened version of the Browning Automatic Rifle, which was a rifle... in name only.

The BAR was called a rifle simply because the military didn't know what else to call it.

Plus, they were probably also following the French example of the Chauchat, which the French had classified as a machine rifle, but which we all known was treated like, operated like, and position as a light machine gun in French usage.

When the US made the horrific decision to adopt the Chauchat, it was classified as the Automatic Rifle, Model 1915. The ONLY thing rifle about the Chauchat was the cartridge it fired. It was even less of a rifle than the BAR.

It was never intended to be the primary service arm for every soldier, i.e., it was never intended to be a battle rifle. It was far too expensive and time consuming to make and far too heavy.

In use, it required a two-man squad, the gunner and an ammunition bearer/loader who, oddly enough, WAS armed with a rifle so he could protect the gunner.

The BAR was a first generation squad automatic weapon/light machine gun.

As its direct successor, the Colt Monitor also wasn't a rifle for the same reasons noted above.

Nor, as I noted, was it aimed directly at the heart of Winchester's primary market as the Burgess had been.

So, Colt didn't produce a rifle for the civilian market until after World War II.

Last edited:

Willie Lowman

I don't think the 1927A1 semiauto Thompson was ever made by Colt. As far as I know, all the semi auto Thompson "rifles" were made by Auto Ordnance (now owned by Khar).

That is not true. Colt did produce 1927 Thompsons using the 1921 receivers. They were semi automatic only, open bolt carbines. They are now regulated as machine guns due to the ATF's "Once a machine gun" rule

B.L.E.

I think just about everybody who had the manufacturing ability to do so made guns or gun parts during WWII, if they weren't busy making airplanes or tanks.

Kev

Since the OPs question has been answered and we are having this sidebar...

I have to ask "What about the Colt Lighting" That for sure is a rifle?

well dang..Mike answered the Lighting issue here and I missed it. My bad

The gentlemen's agreement that was supposedly hammered out resulted in Winchester dropping plans for revovlers. Colt could keep producing the Lightning rifle and shotguns, but wouldn't replace them when production ended, and would end production of the Burgess rifle after a single year.