Reloading Room Advice

globemaster3

So with my recent retirement from active duty, and a little more time on my hands, I am looking to set up a space for reloading rifle and shotgun. I have an interior room in a barn I want to configure that has a concrete floor, completely walled in, and not exposed to the elements. It is uninsulated and not air conditioned, so components will be exposed to the typical seasonal temperature and humidity fluctuations.

So, here's the question: is there a problem with this set up from an environmental perspective that I should be aware of (thinking temp fluctuations and humidity)?

I would prefer an indoor, environmentally controlled solution, but it just isn't going to happen in my current home.

Thoughts?

Ifishsum

Lots of people load in uninsulated garages and sheds, I say any place you can set up is a good one! Watch for rust on your dies and other tools, if you keep a stock of primers you might try and keep those inside or in sealed containers for longer term storage but then again I never had an issue with estate sale primers that I know were kept in a garage for years. For anything you are going to use within 2-3 years at least I wouldn't really think twice about it.

Congrats on the retirement and thank you for your service!

Blindstitch

Have you thought about a portable setup. I use a Lee hand press in an apartment and when it comes to loading I can set the scale, Lee perfect powder measure, priming press and projectiles on a small 24x18 inch table and I don't have to worry about freezing or sweating. But it would be nice to have a press up on a bench inside or outside for sizing.

BBarn

I would store powder somewhere with less temperature fluxuation. Otherwise such an arrangement can work fine.

ms6852

Humidity and static electricity is about all you need to really worry about. A good window AC will take care of the humidity and rubber mats should take care of the static electricity if its a dry area.

globemaster3 said:
So, here's the question: is there a problem with this set up from an environmental perspective that I should be aware of (thinking temp fluctuations and humidity)?
Where is this barn located? Seasonal temperature and humidity fluctuations will be different for Seattle as opposed to Phoneix as opposed to Miami as opposed to Minneapolis. What are the upper and lower limits for temperature and humidity at your location.

^^^That's the issue. High temperatures can significantly accelerate powder aging. Changes in ambient humidity affect powder burn rate and, gradually (over about a year) the burn rate of powder even in assembled cartridges, though they will tend to average the effect over a year. I don't think you will get hot enough to affect primers, but the trunk of a dark-colored car parked outside during the day in Phoenix, AZ can get hot enough to kill them.

Ideally, you want to keep powder around 50-60% RH. If you let them get super dry, as by using a desiccant, the burn rate can go up as much as 12% (the 2013 Norma manual has information on this and on finished cartridges gradually letting humidity changes affect the powder inside them (these are cartridges without sealants)).

Rapidrob

Powders and primers are almost always designed to military specification. they are made for temperature fluctuation that a military may run into.
Cold is never a problem as long as the powder is kept dry with a tight fitting lid.
Heat above 110 Degrees F can be a problem once again if the air in the container is humid.
My reloading shop is only heated when I'm in it reloading. The rest of the winter the shop is cold.
In the summer fans keep the shop "cool" as in below 85 degrees F.
You can always by a can of Nitrogen and give the container a blast just before you seal it up for a long time as well.

globemaster3

To answer some of the questions:

Portable system... I’d prefer to have something more permanent since I have this 15X30 room unused.

Location: Missouri. So think highs in the 100s during the summer to below freezing in the winter. As for humidity, between 50-80 mostly.

mxsailor803

Globe, congrats on the retirement. I’ve got 4 years left, guaranteed at least 1 if not 2 deployments left and I’m retired as well. As for your storage, my grandfather use to store his powder in a broken deep freezer. That was in SC where we have a crap ton of humidity and high temps. Not so much in the colder temps. That was in a detached, non-insulated garage. Me on the other hand, since I live by myself, I turned one of my extra bedrooms into my reloading room. Plus I’m in Florida now and just left VA about 3 weeks ago.

std7mag

I live in PA, and have essentially the same weather conditions. My wife keeps me in the basement, errr, i mean i do my reloading in the basement. :rolleyes:

A window A/C unit will drastically help in the hot humid months! Sucks trying to reload with sweat coming out of every pore, and into your eyes!

I helped a friend wall off a room in his barn. We installed electric heaters, with fans built in, between the wall studs. They blow a decent amount of heat, and can be placed away from your powder storage/usage area. Highly recommended! You can pick up fairly cheap from Lowes or Home Depot.

I run a dehumidifier also. Even with a vent from the furnace, and a window AC unit, it's surprising the amount of humidity tbere is!

Enjoy your retirement!
Thank You for your service!

Bob4

I have an outside shed for reloading in SW Florida. Didn't cost that much to insulate and add a window unit. It slows the rusting down quite considerably.

USSR

globemaster3,

At the very least, store your powder somewhere else without the large temperature fluctuations.

Don

hounddawg

in addition to what others have said about powder be aware that some electronic scales have temperature problems. If you can install a small air conditioner put in I would recommend it. I have a similar setup and live on the coast in the south. A space heater and the smallest air conditioner available from a hardware store work fine but I do have one scale that has severe drift unless it is above 70 F

T. O'Heir

"...more time on my hands..." That's the worst part of retirement. Finding enough to do to stay busy.
As mentioned, where you are matters.
Heat the place. Everything about reloading is far less pleasant in a non-environmentally controlled place. We may be geezers, but we're not animals. snicker. And the components don't like temperature or humidity variations.

globemaster3

Thanks for all the input. I’m going to consider insulation and some air conditioning in there.

At a minimum, I can keep the powder in the house and take it over there for reloading.

Kevin Rohrer

Powder and primers need to be kept at a reasonable temperature and humidity level.

Presses, dies, and powder measures rust and corrode if exposed to temperature extremes.

Make that room as environmentally comfortable as possible, or store and reload elsewhere.

gwpercle

My little reloading building is not insulated and not heated or cooled , I keep powder and primers inside my house and I've never had any moisture problems .

My small out building is built up off the ground so I have not had any serious moisture problems.
Been reloading out there 47 years now . A wipe down of the presses every once in a while with an oily rag is the only thing I do .
The only time a concrete slab on grade causes any moisture problems , in Louisiana , is when there is no vapor barrier between the ground and concrete slab . The concrete will pass ground moisture without the vapor barrier and you need to watch out for that situation .
Powder and primers inside the house keeps the temperature and humidity under control.
Gary