Reloading M1 Garand Ammo..Pointers plz

PunchinPaper

I made it by my LGS and they had the 168 SMK's in stock as well as a host of different powders. I do not have a loading manual for those bullets,so I don't know what the best powder choice is. Could anyone point to lets say the top 3 choices for the M1 W/ the 168 SMK.....

golfnutrlv

Lots of good info here. I have concluded that imr4895 under 150 and 168 gr bullets is about ideal for a garand load. I started with varget, but got better accuracy out of imr4895. In fact military ball 30.06 was loaded with imr4895 for a long long time.

Fwiw, I always clean the primer pockets, and trim the brass to avoid any slamfire issues.

Reloading for bolt guns can forgive a lot of mistakes that a semi auto will punish. Check twice, slamfire never.

Learning to load for the garand made me a better, more detailed reloader.

I used to run 4896 but found 4064 filled the case better, giving less position sensitivity, and exhibited better temperature immunity and more forgiveness of small charge weight error. It ignites easily and likes the mild KVB762 primers mentioned earlier as producing low MV ES.

PunchinPaper

COAL for 168 gr SMK?

I picked up some SMKs and IMR 4896.
I don't have a sierra manual, could one of you share your M1 acceptable col for this bullet? I was debating the use of the Hornaday 168 col but I know the two are constructed differently. I also know seating depth is normally determined by the rifle in bolt guns for best accuracy. But I want the actual col the book gives. So I can work from there... And yea I know I should buy my own and not trust web load data, from what you guys have posted on powder charges jives with what several of my other manuals show. Thanks for all the help!

Tim R

I would seat it until they cleared the mag well...your basic oal is going to be no different than ball ammo. Keep in mind you might have feeding problems if you cut the oal too close because SMK's as good as they are the meplat or tip of the bullet has minor variations. This is because of the way Sierra draws the jacket. These variations are not huge, only a few thousands. If your seating depth is just clearing the mag well you still won’t be long enough to stick a bullet into the lands if loaded to mag length using a GI barrel.
On a side note. I don’t think anyone really addressed the 147 FMJ question. I have shot these with some success using IMR 5031 and CCI primers in a GI case. The amount of powder was towards the starting load as I recall. These bullets were given to me because they would not shoot for a buddy of mine. I broke a weld on the feet on one of his steel targets made out of armor because I hit the same spot twice on the foot. I have not used anymore 147’s since that supply ran out.

3.290" COL is what Sierra lists with both the 168 grain and 175 grain MatchKings in .30-06. It's a good starting point. Once you like what you are getting, you can experiment, running up and down about .025" and 0.050" to see if one of those seating depths groups tighter than the other. The 168 can actually be loaded as short as 3.185" without the ogive ducking into the case mouth. For the 175 grain its 3.205". Those would be your lower limits. Some folks have used the full 3.340" with both bullets successfully, so I would look at that as an upper limit so feeding is still good.

PunchinPaper

Thanks guys!
I will probably put together a few test rounds within the next day or so.
I will post results at a after I range test.
I am going to use once fired G.I. Brass shot from my rifle.

Tim R

If you want to spend a lot of money, My M-1's really like the 155 gr Palma SMK's with a dose of IMR 4064.