Reload!!

44 AMP

Staff
Our source of information from people who were actually there is almost completely gone. Very soon it will be completely gone. If you know one of the vets, see if you can get them to tell about all the little things, as well as the big ones. I guarantee you will have "10,000 questions" when they aren't around to be asked anymore.

I watched the first episode of the Pacific again the other night, specifically looking for the "reload" and any other things that seemed...odd. Found a few that were clearly production / sequence goofs, but not many.

What I did notice is the announcement "RELOAD!" was a command (and status announcement) from the machinegunner. It tells the gun crew to reload the gun, as well as telling those in earshot the gun is down for reloading. They showed this several times.

A little later during the same fight, a couple of the riflemen also shout "reload" while reloading their rifles. This may have been the practice in training at the time, either local unit or Corps wide, I have no idea, or may have been the fact that the riflemen were part of the MG squad, or it may just have been the director's idea of something dramatic to say.

Remember that Guadalcanal was the first major land battle for the Marines (or any us militaty that weren't already dead or Japanese POWs), and they went into combat with the pre war training, some of which proved to be very flawed.

Sharkbite

The 3 most critical things to do when in " contact "

Shoot, move, COMMUNICATE.

Tactics have changed since Vietnam and certainly since WWII. Our TTP's have chanced and evolved during the last 10 years of armed conflict.

Lee6113

I think I've seen this in several other movies. I'm curious if it's all Hollywood out or not. It makes sense to me if you're part of a team to give them a heads up.
I'm gonna have to watch the Pacific. I've only seen a few episodes.

joe45c

I doubt most of the foes we have fought against know the engish word for reload even if they could hear it. In ww2 most of our troops wouldn't have known the German word for reload, or the Japanese word. Or nowadays the muzzy word for it.

44 AMP

Staff
Some individual troops no doubt spoke or understood some of the enemies language, but those who did often wound up in intelligence slots, where they were more valuable than as troops on the line.

Knowing a bit of the other guys language is a useful thing, at times, VERY useful. When its right, anyway. GIs learn all kinds of the "wrong" stuff, and when that sinks in, its really tough to get the "right" info out there, and used.

I have read of incidents where Japanese yelled insults in (heavily accented) English, things about Elanor Roosevelt, and the common "MALINE, YOU DIE!" ;)

Another incident I read about (maybe true, who knows) was a time when a Marine knew a little Japanese, and during an attack where the Japanese were sneaking up on them, through the tall grass, he yelled "EVERYONE STAND UP!!" in Japanese, and they did. At which point the Marines opened fire...

A friend of mine told me that several veterans, who were there, got to see "the Pacific" before its general release, and they raised no objections.

OF course, it is possible they never noticed "mistakes", memory can be a little tricksy after more than half century...I know mine is...:eek::D

I watched the first episode closely, looking for mistakes, and I found one for certain (a reversed image, Springfield with the bolt handle on the "left" side) and possibly a couple of others, small continuity mistakes.

It is incredibly difficult to a massive production like this and get everything exactly historically right.

Rob228

A friend of mine told me that several veterans, who were there, got to see "the Pacific" before its general release, and they raised no objections.

Dale Dye came out to Camp Pendleton and held a few screenings with some active duty Marines as well. I was instructing at the School of Infantry at the time, I saw someone in the PX that I thought looked very familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it until another one of the instructors came into the office saying that Dale Dye had just invited him to a pre-release screening.

SPEMack618

Christ, I went on a tour's worth of patrols in Afghanistan as a Lieutenant, velcro patch with a little brown bar attached to the front of my plate carrier, and I never got killed. And I yelled reloading any time I did so.

It's super critical when you're clearing a structure or doing any sort of MOUT.