Reliability, carry weapon: Glock 19 or .357 Mag 7-shot revolver

Monty

I'll trust my Glock 19 again and might get a good revolver anyway

Glad to hear you got it worked out. My Glock 19 has never had a single bobble through a few thousand rounds...still getting broke in :p

westphoenix

I bought this Taurus 617 7-shot .357mag awhile back.
I bought it to carry from time to time.
I very rarely carried it because its heavy and thick.
Packs a hell of a punch though :).
Something was up though, if you fired it in double action sometimes the firing pin didnt strike hard enough to fire.
It never failed in single action though, which is how I prefer to shoot it anyway.
I ended up selling it, because I really like autos and wanted to eliminate a cartridge from my line up.
It sure is a pretty little gun though. Stainless steel, ported, with rubber grips.

attachment.php

IM_Lugger

I'm not a Glock kinda guy, but I'd say stay with a Glock :eek:

I just prefer a gun than can offer a high capacity; when it comes to ammo it's better to have more than you need than not enough ;) If you find ammo that makes your gun barf don't carry it.

OutLaw

I agree something must be wrong with the gun or it is possible the magazine is crap. But a good revolver can't be beat. But the Glock does have mag capacity going for it.

xdfan

i believe that shot placement is the key to any defensive engagement 6 or 7 from a .357 should be sufficient for all but a combat scenario if you are practiced with the weapon

Boarhunter

Over the last 30 years of my shooting experience, I too have personally debated this very issue, accumulating in the process quite a number and variety of both semi automatic pistols and revolvers. And I am a Glock fan, big time (I own three so far, including a model 19). And this is my solution: I carry a 12 ounce Smith scandium .357 revolver (5 shots) in a Safariland pocket holster always. Always. And when I travel at night or in other, potentially precarious circumstances, I ALSO carry a Glock 19 or 26 in a Fobus paddle holster. Both the Smith and the Glock are totally reliable and easy to carry, and this system seems to work perfectly for me.

Whether this is an option in Europe, I do not know. But it sure works fine here in Alabama.

Boarhunter

WESHOOT2

clarification

MY revolvers are pretty darn reliable; overall I've seen abuse, whether from wear or wearing, take its toll on both action types.

However, a careful re-read of the original question prompted my answer: in MY experience I suggest autos are more reliable than wheels.

However, if faced with the (unthinkable) 'only one gun' quandry why I'd pick a wheel......but which one oh me oh my.....357 Redhawk....which barrel length oh me oh my.....my 5.5". 'Cause it's easier to wear.