Reliability, carry weapon: Glock 19 or .357 Mag 7-shot revolver

Para Bellum

I recently had several malfunctions (faliures to extract) with a pretty new Glock 19. It might have been new nontox-ammo I use, but anyway it is a pretty bad feeling to hold a gun that goes "click" only or not even that.

So I figure: Maybe a 7-shot .357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel would be a better choice for a 24/7 carry weapon. Even if it was an ammo-faliure. With the revolver I would just have to pull the trigger again.

What do you think?

Blue Heeler

I have had a 'jam-o-matic' fail several times. Quicky fixed mostly. Revolvers are much less likely to fail, but if they do they often take longer to get going again. I had one (S&W M 36) break the tip off it's firing pin - quite useless until a new fp was fitted.

I think it is important to do the basic maintenance. Your Glock should function
reliably-you are doing the right thing by finding ammo that suits it. I'd go with a mainstream load if I were you eg Winchester etc.

RWK

IMHO -- and I absolutely do NOT want to start a “contest” -- Glocks are very reliable, but top-quality revolvers (Smiths and Rugers in current production) are even more reliable. If your primary concerns are reliability, potency, and reasonable capacity, I believe a S&W 686 “seven shooter” (loaded with either.357 magnums or with .38 Special +Ps, if your circumstances dictate) is unbeatable.

Six (or seven) for sure.

CarbineCaleb

Since they don't reuse the same chamber and therefore don't need to move cartridges, revolvers don't often have a failure-to-feed or failure-to-eject :D

kgpcr

My CCW is an XD service. Springfield really has a great pistol here and i carry it all the time. it is 100% reliable and has never failed me yet. Try one you will like it. i have yet to see a handgun that pointed so nice. its just on when you point it.

IanS

I'd try to get it fixed. Glock 19's are known to be reliable and if yours isnt' that means something is wrong with yours. It could be something as simple as bad mags/ammo or at the very worst something is out of spec. I don't know how easy it is to get it to a qualified Glock Armorer over there but why give up on it? Many people (professionals) rely on the G19 and I doubt they would if it wasn't trustworthy.

If you're more comfortable with S&W full size .357 Mag revolver fine. But there must be a reason why you wanted to go with the G19 in the first place. Capacity? Its weight? Small size? The simple fact you shoot it better?

Tell Glock about the problem. See what they say. It can't hurt.

Okay, everyone can get back to Autos vs. Revolvers debate now :rolleyes:

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Hey, we all take whatever excuses we can, to get a new gun from time to time.

:D

You don't specifically say, but when most speak of a full time carry sidearm, they're talking about concealed carry. The vast majority of the seven-shooters are considerably thicker, and are certainly far heavier than a G19. Heck, for that kind of weight, you could carry a .45 automatic. :p

The only such mag I know that isn't pretty heavy is downright vicious with magnum ammo. Since S&W has discontinued the K-frame magnums (Models 13, 19, 65 and 66,) you're constrained to the J-Magnum five shooters or the far larger seven shooters, if you want a new revolver. Personally, I'm far happier with the K-frame six shot mags I was able to locate. They can still be had, but it takes a bit of looking. The good news is that they can be bought for less money than a new 7-shot mag.

If my only choice was between a G19 and a 7-shot mag, I'd sure carry the Glock. Flatter, lighter, and easy to shoot well.

I don't know what's wrong with your Glock - - I'd sure try some other types of ammo. I suggest Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot HP, Federal HydraShok 124 gr, Federal 9BP 115 JHP, or Remington Gloden Saber. Save the non-toxic stuff for when you must practice on an indoor range.
LATE EDIT: Para Bellum, I just noticed your location and recalled reading some of your other posts, that you're in Austria and have some sort of restriction on use of hollow point ammo. If my earlier suggestions are simply not available to you, the Federal EFMJ may be your only choice. Some years back, I remember reading about something called BAT, Blitz-Action-Trauma, ammo. I think it had a discarding nose plug, to enable open point ammo to be used reliably in certain submachine guns/machine pistols. I guess this would still be deemed an HP, huh?

I have heard and read some good reports on the EFMJ ammo, but have no personal experience with the type. END EDIT

I understand you specified the problems were failure to extract, but it might not hurt to try other magazines, as well.

Best of luck
Johnny

63Belair

every forum I am a member of has a debate like this. Semi-auto vs revolver. Carb vs Fuel Injection, muscle car vs import. There is no right answer, never was or will be.

It is all about trade offs. My 63 Bel Air sure is easier to work on than my 2000 Impreza, and parts are much less expensive, but with the Bel Air, I have to work on it more often, and use more parts, so in the end, it evens out, which car is better? It depends on what I am doing. Crusing around on saturday night, I'll take the chevy, driving through a blizzard? As fun as 18 feet long and RWD are, I will take my little AWD Impreza.

Same goes with the revolver vs semi auto debate.

Figure out which best fits the particular situation you are (or will be) in and make an informed decision.

hehe, i offered no help to this whatsoever :D

dairycreek

This is a great carry gun!

163687_large.jpg

The S&W 386 TiScan has been a great carry gun for me :D It is a 7-shot 38/357 with a 3-1/8" bbl. It weighs in at around 18 oz. unloaded and is, for my money, just about as good a carry gun as you can find. A warning though :eek: Shooting "full house" 357 loads in it produces some prodigious recoil :( My answer? I carry and shoot mostly 38 special +P's which are just fine to shoot in this gun. I probably have about 1000 rounds through it and it has performed flawlessly. I recommend it as a carry gun par exelance'!

Para Bellum

Thank you, especially Jhonny Guest for your thoughts.

I did go to Glock, the factory is 30 Min from my office (Vienna/Austria). They were concearned and checkt it. Finally the exchanged the ejector and the ejector spring. This is all about my 2004 Glock 19. I sincerely hope the gun now is as reliable as my 1997 Glock 19 which never had any malfunction. It also could have been the ammo....

Thanks for the EFMJ-tipp. I use them and I did my own test, in the web at: http://www.raoulwagner.com/9mm.htm
It's great ammo. I even prefer it to hollowpoints since they reliably expand up to 0,70 inches from a 9x19mm bullet.

When I bought my first gun, I struggled hard deciding between the Glock 19 and the S&W 686 4". We'll see. I'll trust my Glock 19 again and might get a good revolver anyway :eek:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Unless you start to have problems with your CARRY ammo, I wouldn't get too worried about the problems with your non-tox practice ammo.

In other words, if your firearm is reliable with all the types of ammunition you've tried except for one, it's not rational to assume that the firearm is the problem... ;)

eka

I carry both a G19 and a 4" 686. I have found both to be extremely reliable and accurate. I have found most of the ammo marketed as non-toxic or enviromentally friendly has problems. Go with some good quality premium grade ammo before you jump to any conclusions about your G19's reliability. My advice to you is keep the Glock and definately get the 686. :D

Para Bellum

In other words, if your firearm is reliable with all the types of ammunition you've tried except for one, it's not rational to assume that the firearm is the problem...
I was smart enough to figure that out myself. :p
So I changed the training-ammo but still had extrating-faliures. Since Glock changed the extractor and the extractor spring, the gun worked flawlessly.
(and I might get a 686 anyway :D )

WESHOOT2

I own a 200 Impreza, too (2.5RS), and a '97!

But in my experience I find autos more reliable than wheels (I started with Security Sixes, currently own two KGP-141's, five Redhawks, a S&W M38, and maybe some other stuff).

My most reliable gun = EAA Witness 9x19 customized by Mr. Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry. Over 40K (?) and still -- IF the ammo fits in its chamber -- no failures. Of any kind. Whatsoever. None.

Yet, ay?

RWK

Weshoot2,

I have followed your excellent posts for many years and was interested – and surprised – to read your last one (#17) concerning comparative revolver reliability. We all know you fire many hot – perhaps super hot – revolver rounds. Do you believe the revolver reliability issues you have experienced are unusual and result from the large number of hot loads you fire?

Thanks for your insights and regards.

Pezo

I have to say that I have it up to hear with the auto - revo debate on these forums. MY suggestion is to try, shoot various guns with various self defense ammo's and make your own personal choice. I choose to carry a revo for its reliability and cartridge power capabilities but that doesnt mean I would want to be shot at by a small auto anymore either. All it means is if I have the chance to draw my weapon to defend myself the sob bad guy is gonna experience the toughest moment of his life. :) guns are like women dont settle for the first one you handle try a variety first then choose your favorite. :D