Redneck Engineering....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
My friend Marlon calls it Ghetto Engineering,but I know it as Redneck Engineering, and no Jeff Foxworthy jokes please.

By either term, the paradigm is....

Make it rather than buy it.

Use what's at hand rather than buy stuff.

Keep the cost down as much as possible, because money's tight but trash is free.

As pertaining to shotguns, here's a few examples.

A section of drainpipe, the sort that carries water from the gutters on a house to wherever you want it to go. The pipe was squeezed shut at one end by the simple expedient of driving a Ford Farmall tractor over it. It was secured to that tractor by baling wire and a rim of old garden hose,split and cut to fit, placed over that end to protect the finish of a 16 gauge H&R single shot. When things flushed in front of that tractor, I got pretty good at throwing it into neutral, grabbing the H&R, and making meat.

Some of us like a little weight up front, oft more than an extended choke tube may add. On repeaters, we can buy a weight that's attached to a mag cap, or we can make one.

A bought weight will set you back about $65. A 2.5" 1/4X28 bolt. nut, lock washer and enough donut washers to fill the shank will cost less than $5 and weigh about 3 oz. Use something like a 9/32" drill to make a hole and insert the bolt after using all the washers but one. Add that one on the inside, the lock washer and the nut, tighten up and install. A wrap of black electrical tape adds a certain panache.

Wonderful Wife is heavily into crafts. She bought a roll of material some time back that's like Neoprene, and has adhesive on both sides. About 1/8" thick, it was meant to back up rubber stamps attached to wood blocks. Cut into sections and placed under a pad or butt plate, it serves to lengthen the Pull and cushion the kick slightly. Use a sharp knife to trim.I added close to 3/8" to my 20 gauge SKB O/U this way.

Some folks,both for sporting and defensive purposes, like a very bright front sight. At hobby shops, Testor's enamel comes in little bottles for painting model airplanes,etc, and costs just a couple bucks. A dab of bright yellow makes the front sight on my HD 870 very visible in low light, and a dab of white on the front sight of my deer gun stands out nicely against Bambi's shoulder.

Golf shops sell a lead tape or little dots of same to add weight to a club.These have a self stick glue on one side. Some of this applied to the inside of a forearm on a break action gun can help the balance. Added at the tip, it can add inertia to the swing. Added to the rear of the forearm near the balance point, it just adds a bit of weight to aid precision and cut kick.

I could go on, but that's enough for now. What Redneck Engineers are reading this and how do YOU make things better to and with your shotguns?....

B.L.E.

The pipe was squeezed shut at one end by the simple expedient of driving a Ford Farmall tractor over it.

Um, er, wasn't it International Harvester that sold the Farmall® line of tractors?:confused:

abelacres

We call it 'Presidential Solutions'

Our tractor gun rack wasn't as fancy, just bailing wire and an old old soft case. It worked though and we never had a shot gun (or rifle) fall out.

oneounceload

Aw GEEZ, Dave - encouraging them?!?!?!?:eek:

We have too many on here now trying to shoot more than is safe, or finagle something they shouldn't...............and now YOU, the Master of Tact and Diplomacy is encouraging redneck engineering......somebody is gonna "bubba" something real good.................

;):D

BigJimP

I'm a "refined red-neck" ...and house trained too ...somedays anyway ...

but I have used spent shells full of lead / duct taped up to add weight inside a stock ....and I've used the "golf lead" inside my fore-ends ... I'm not adverse to making things - that will do the job ...(I'm just lazy these days"..

but I can't wait until HogDogs chimes in ....( he'll have some "real" examples" ...

highvel

There is nothing wrong with ingenuity and making or repairing things with what's on hand! Whatever it takes works for me.
Just remember to ask yourself "what if" and make it safe enough!;)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
but I can't wait until HogDogs chimes in ....( he'll have some "real" examples" ...
I am just doing a little research to make sure there is a statute of limitation in place before I mention some of my favorites...;):D

Brent

Technosavant

Well, I took some old shotgun from England and chopped it down to coach gun length with a hacksaw, I keep it out in the garage. I just scrape off the rust spots every now and then and I've had to sand down the stock where it warped. It's ok, the receiver was all scraped up when I found the thing.

It ain't that "Purdey" anymore, heh heh.

/Just kidding :p

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Thanks for the responses, folks.

BLE, Pop called it a Farmall, it was definitely a Ford. Made in the 30s or 40s. We sold it when I was a senior in HS, about 1963 or 64. I drove over half the county on that thing....

Zippy, REAL Rednecks use anything they want to, and may even eat quiche.
Here, wheel weights are given to a friend who casts and runs off some 41 mags for me every now and then.

1 oz, they're going to anyway. maybe this thread will show the limits and why some things are bad ideas. Note I did not mention hacksaws or Duck Boat paint.

Let's see what else folks come up with......

B.L.E.

Dave McC said:
BLE, Pop called it a Farmall, it was definitely a Ford. Made in the 30s or 40s. We sold it when I was a senior in HS, about 1963 or 64. I drove over half the county on that thing....

I don't doubt that. I had an aunt who called every camera a "Kodak" and it drove me nuts. Even today, a lot of people call every personal watercraft they see a "JetSki®".

oneounceload

Note I did not mention hacksaws

WHEW!......:D

Actually, duct tape was ALWAYS a part of my hunting rifle repair kit - Many a time in NV, you are eons away from anything human with a pulse, so a broken stock from a fall can ruin the day - a small roll and some super glue (both are also good for first aid) went in the pack

nathaniel

Grandpa had an old single shot with a few peices of duct tape on it that he kept in the tack room. well he had an auction not so long ago and no one wanted that shotgun so I bought the dang thing for $5. Well I took it home mixed up some jb weld and the stock and forend is just like new. People ask me where I got the replacement synthetic stock set for it.:)

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
BLE, up to now I thought they were all Jetskis. Live and learn.

Brent, looks like a 9n. 5 speed, PTO, trike front. Pop replaced it with a Cub.

1oz, pre duct tape there was a black sticky type we called Tar tape. I can recall a few grips wrapped with that.

RRN, good for you and your spouse. WW makes great Jambalaya, and she has used Venison sausage instead of Andouille.

Nathaniel, thanks for rescuing that old single. JB Weld is good stuff.

BarkeyVA

No doubt jet ski (all lower case) has become the generic term for a PWC (personal watercraft) just like kleenex is the term most folks use to describe a facial tissue. How often have you zeroxed something even if you were using a competitor's copy machine? Nylon was once the trade name for Dupont's polyamide plastic. Now nylon is the term used for any brand of polyamide plastic.