Redfield revenge made in the Philippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flakbait

I don't think there is an American optics company that manufactures all its components and assembles them in the United States. I think the glass from Leuphold comes from Japan.

I want to support American workers and American jobs in all aspects of life as much as I can but I don't think buying a GM car produced in Mexico or Canada is supporting American jobs as much buying that Toyota built in Ohio. Because I cannot determine the impact of my purchasing on American workers, I evaulate the quality and price of all my purchases and play less attention to whether something is produced by an American company or not.

Interestingly, several of my gun purchases of foreign brand guns like SIG Sauer and Beretta were produced in the US by US workers whereas guns produced by "American" companies like Browning are made in Japan or Portugal.

In this global economy, I search for quality even though I would much rather see "made in the USA" than "made in China" on all my gear.

jhgreasemonkey

I wouldn't worry about it being made in the phillipines. They make good scopes for several big companies at the Kenko plant there. Like the starting line up from Weaver and Nikon.

TX Hunter

If this Country ends up a Third World Looserville, We may be trying to go there for work, like the Mexicans are doing here.:D

You can blame it on corporate greed... You can also blame it on the fact that many shooters are just too darn cheap to spend the money to buy a quality scope... None of my guns wear cheap scopes and they never will!!! I hate to hear anyone ask... "What's the best $100 scope?"

Lloyd Smale

I agree with 300wby. Its not just leupolds fault but the fault of all the americans that will gladly buy products that the manufacture of is outsourced to other countrys. If nobody bought these new redfields id bet a dime to a dollar they wouldnt be around long. Sad thing is most americans would buy a foreign made scope if it just saved them 10 bucks but those same people will be the first to cry the blues when there job is outsourced. Lots of hyopcrits too. I know guys that work in the car factorys in detroit that lecture everyone about buying american cars but show up up here with jap scopes on there jap rifles wearing hunting clothes made in china. Where do you draw the line? I guess thats up to every individual. Im not pleased with leupold going overseas to make scopes and wasnt when burris did it either. they were the last two holdouts. At least i still have the option of buying a scope in there lines that is american made.

benzy2

I dont think leupold labels any of their scope "made in the usa" anymore as the glass comes from an "asian" source, be that china, phillipines, or japan. Really us optics is about the only us made scope left and they arent cheap. From all i had heard the redfield line had very little to do with the us from the start. I consider the move to be one that makes them a better optic as i had heard many parts were china made previously.

TX Hunter

Benzy2

I believe your right on that, Yesterday I bought A Leupold Ultimate Slam Riflescope for my Muzzle Loader, It looked like it had sat on the shelf awhile.
The Plastic Wrap, was missing from the Box, but everything was still in there.
It had all the cool stuff in the box, the Neopreme Scope Cover, a Leupold L Sticker, and the literature about the aiming system for the scope.
But it didnt have in big letters made in America. It is a Golden Ring Scope, so Its supposed to be American, but didnt have it on the Box.
I bought this scope, because, Well first off, I wanted it, but I chose this brand to support American Workers. When I send in my Scope Registration Card and Survey, Im gonna write a Note to Leupold and send it with it.:)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
In the FWIW department, the Philippines has become a leading source of lenses. It began with contact lenses, back in the Marcos era, supplying much of Asia. Previously Japan had the honors of "best glass". Nikon, for instance, used the old Zeiss formulas from pre-WW II in their cameras in the Korean War era--although the shutter springs had been out-sourced to Germany.

TX Hunter

Art

I know my Leupolds use Asian Glass, they alwayse have, but Its Americans that make the rest of it isnt it ? By the Way The Redifield Revoloution Scopes at Gander Mountain had not gone up yet as of yesterday. But I expect them too when the out sourced Product shows up.

Palmetto-Pride

Copy & Pasted From Leupold's website.

BUILT IN OREGON,
HUNTED ACROSS THE COUNTRY

We've been building scopes for a long time. And we're going to keep building them, right here in Oregon. Buy with confidence; knowing your Revolution was made with pride.

>RIFLESCOPES DELIVERED THROUGH CRAFTSMANSHIP, NOT CARGO SHIP<

Looks like Leupold's webmaster needs to do a little update......

TX Hunter

Palmeto Pride

Thats part of that add I told you about, they said that in the Video, and it was so wonderfull. It brought me to tears, and caused me to buy a Revoloution Scope.
Im still a sucker for them though, bought another Leupold Yesterday, and am looking forward to future purchases from them.:) Being a customer of theirs though, I feel that I have every right to be mad at them, didnt say I didnt love them, just that I was mad at them.:)

old roper

TX Hunter,

I've followed some of your post in the past and I understand "Buy American Made" you don't. Here one of your post from this year..

If you get a chance to obtain a Finnish M39 I would recomend one, they are really good shooters, and also very atractive with their artic birch stocks.
You can buy them fairly cheap from SOG, or WWW.Gunsnammo.com.
The one I have looks like it was really used, has alot of wear, and still shoots great.
Last edited by TX Hunter; January 8, 2012 at 09:52 AM.

How do you separate the two. Kind of like telling kid don't smoke as your lighting one up.

TX Hunter

Old Roper, I did mention that I have a collection of old Military Surplus Rifles, The Fin M39 is one of them. Those were old rifles that were built during World War Two, I also Have a few Mausers, But recently added a Remington 1903A3

I am a collector, and have a passion for old school craftsmanship. But on my newer Hunting Rifles, I have American Made optics. I didnt know that firearms collecting would put me in the same catagory with outsourcing.
If you are interested in seeing my Collection, I will proudly display it on the Curio and Relic Forum for you, Its still small, but I have some interesting pieces of History.
I also own several very nice American Made Rifles.

TriumphGuy

That's a shame. Looks like the Revenge is off of my short list now. You can't get something 100% American anymore, but at least some of it is still assembled at home. I justpaid an extra $100 for a Maytag dryer because it's assembled in the USA and will do the same when I settle on a scope if I decide to buy a new one.

chiefr

I have been told by a very reliable source that all of the glass (lenses) inside current scopes are made in Asia somewhere. The ground glass is then shipped to wherever the scope is assembled whether it be USA, PI, ROK etc.
Having said that, Japan is known for manufacturing the best glass in the world.

old roper

TX HUNTER, Buy American is just that IMHO. Their not much that you can buy today that's not made overseas or should we list by category what we complain about.

I sure wouldn't feel right about complaining about that Redfield scope knowing that I buy Carhartt made in Mexico.

TX Hunter

Old Roper

I remember when Carheart was still American, Ive got a Carheart Shirt on Right Now, HMM Just Checked Bangledesh, That Sucks, its my favorite shirt too.
You have a point, its just hard to embrase the exportation of our jobs.
The Redwing Pecos on my feet, are American though, so I guess I try to be somewhat American.

My whole point in this post was however, that it was offensive to me to see Redfield go overseas so quickly, I will try to support the American Economy as much of it is left, but its getting harder. If my post has offended anyone, It was not my intent, Leuopld still has American Employees at work in Oregan, and elsewhere, I hope that they gain eneough support from our Americna Firearms Owners that they dont end up out of a Job.
One day Im sure everything that is left will be exported, When that day comes, we will just have to do as America has done before, we will Adapt and Overcome. On the Bright Side, some things like Toyota are coming back to America, I own Two Fords, and Two Chevys, and some of the parts on them are Foreighn, but thats straying from the post.

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've never paid much attention to where something was made, so long as the quality met my requirements. I've travelled in a bunch of foreign places and found US-made stuff, so no big deal: Just the quality.

If a company wants to stay in business, it's gotta make a profit. If the overhead and operaating costs are too high in the US, you're gonna see outsourcing.

The real question has to do with why overhead and operating costs are higher here than elsewhere--and I guarantee you that lower wages is only part of the answer. A larger part is one word: Government.

But enough. If the scope works for you, fine. If not, use some other.

Status
Not open for further replies.