Red dots on pistols

Willie Lowman

I recently bought a Glock 34 MOS gen 5. I mounted a trijicon SRO with a CHPS mounting plate and had extra tall Dawson Precision sights mounted.

My intention is to shoot the Carry Optics division of USPSA when things warm up and matches resume.

So far I have only shot this pistol once at an indoor range but I was very happy with the groups I shot. Iron sights always look fuzzy to me indoors or in poor light. The dot was was a much better aiming method. The range I was at strictly forbids "rapid fire" so I don't know how this set up will work out for target transitions or the fast pairs that USPSA will require. I plan to go out to my farm and do some shooting as soon as we get a weekend with halfway decent weather.

So have any of you tried a dot on your pistol? What optic are you using? How do you like it?

TunnelRat

I’m using a Type II RMR (3.25 MOA) on a Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS with the stock plate and blue loctite. I’ve been happy with it so far, but I only have 500 rounds with it installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TunnelRat

Following as I’m considering picking up an MOS G19

FWIW, I’m very happy with mine. An interesting note is the MOS models, and the regular G45 IIRC, have a cut in the slide to the left of the breach face if looking from above. The case rim actually fits in it and is held tighter against the breach face as a result. When the slide reciprocates and contacts the ejector the end result is much better ejection, even compared to my other Gen 5s. It fixes what for me was always one gripe I had with Glocks.

mk70ss

DJG9QfOm.jpg

Loving the red dot on my Hellcat so far

Kreyzhorse

My buddy has one on his tricked out Glock. Brand unknown, but once you get the hang of it, its very accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

I also have one on my AR pistol... not a handgun per se, but again, I really enjoy shooting that gun and find the Holosun easier to use than on the Glock.

No sure that I would outfit any of my handguns with one, but I can still see the front site and rear site okay but a few more years may change that.

ammo.crafter

Go dot!

Without "the dot" I would no longer be competing due to senior citizen eyes.

Installed Vortec on Colt 1911, Sig sp2022 & Ruger MK 1. Consistentantly finish in the top 3 at matches, if not 1st place.

Once you become accustomed to the sight picture, you will never return to iron sights.

Lohman446

To those that EDC red dots: please forgive the dumb question because I don't have one, how much do they interfere with the holster and have they necessitated changes in your daily carry habits?

TunnelRat

To those that EDC red dots: please forgive the dumb question because I don't have one, how much do they interfere with the holster and have they necessitated changes in your daily carry habits?

Out of an effort for future proofing all of the holsters I had ordered for some time had red dot cuts done on them. This really just involves removing any material that might go up and over the slide, as is done for some sweat shields. It’s usually a cheap option (like +$5) and hasn’t affected my comfort. Most kydex makers give the option.

As far as changing my carry, it hasn’t as of yet. I still carry strong side IWB (between 2 and 3 o’clock). The RMR is pretty low profile so it doesn’t really print.

Areoflyer09

I run a Proto-M holster from Black Arch, it’s cut for the optic. I don’t notice the optic at all when I’m carrying it though and the Holosun 507c isn’t as small as the RMRs.

Sharkbite

Any new holster i order, i get it with the red dot cut. Ive cut material off some older holsters that did not have the cut. The results are the same as a factory made cut...no issues.

OhioGuy

I will never go back to not having a red dot on a pistol. Yeah, it took a lot of dry fire reps and presentation practice to find the dot in the window, and lots of live fire to not lose the dot between shots. But once I'd broken it in (meaning, broken myself in!) I just can't go back.

Inside of maybe 25' (?) I don't see any speed advantages over irons, provided the front sight is easy to spot. I can ghost the front sight over the target with both eyes open and get reliable center-mass hits. Beyond that it starts to get confusing to my eyes and I lose either the sight or the target. Red dots allow you to look where you need to look, and have holes magically appear where the dot is.

I think a lot of people think the sight will make them "more accurate" and are disappointed when they can't hit anything. If you can't shoot accurately with irons you'll never shoot accurately at all. But when trigger discipline and grip are mastered, the dot takes it to another level.

OhioGuy

So long as the holster is cut for the optic, there's no interference at all :)

No effect on how I carry, and no effect on concealment.

I'm really interested to see how well the new Sig Romeo Zero sights hold up and perform, given their cost-cutting measures. If they're reliable and rugged enough for daily carry, then they've set a new bar at $200.

raimius

Within 10 yards, you'll probably be slower for a while. At distance, the dot makes things MUCH easier/faster.

stephen426

@mk70ss,

Could you please post a pic of your Hellcat in your carry rig? I am curious if the red dot makes it harder to conceal (like a long grip would stick out). I just bought a Hellcat and am pretty happy with it. I was thinking of adding a light and laser to mine like I did with my Glock 43, but there aren't that many options out there yet as the Hellcat is still pretty new. Thanks!

TunnelRat

Battery life on the DP Pro is rather dismal compared to Aimpoint and RMR...

Results / feed back on this have been mixed. I would like to hear any feed back you have Doc.

For myself, shooting the through RMR is like shooting Indoors with sunglasses on. I'm not a fan of the tint or the small window.

The tint helps highlight the dot. I don’t find it that bad personally. The window being smaller I find more annoying than the tint. But part of that is likely the inverted arch of the housing, and that’s what makes the RMR as durable as it is.

Last edited:
Quote: Within 10 yards, you'll probably be slower for a while. At distance, the dot makes things MUCH easier/faster.

Good Point. I have trained with point and shoot skills so long, I found the Red Dots to not be of much help, actually slower at 0-15 or so yards I might put one on one of my larger non carry guns in the future. Not interested in adding any more weight or bulk than I have to for EDC. Barely use the sights as it is.