Recommended 9mm Loads With CFE Pistol? Blackened Cases?

Shadow9mm

I thought CFE was suppose to be this miracle Clean burning powder?
I have tried CFE Pistol and CFE223. I used CFE Pistol on 9mm, 38spl, 44spl, and 45 auto. Both CFE powders are on the somewhat dirty side in my experience. They do seem to reduce copper fouling as advertised. However in the process they seem to create more fouling. Although the extra fouling seems to clean out easier than regular fouling, so maybe its a different kind of fouling. But that is just my subjective opinion having used 2 of the FCE powders.

Metal god

I tried CFE pistol in 44spl loads and it was a joke . Soot and unburned powder all over the place . I’ve relegated it to heavy for cartridge bullets where it does better . It’s ok in 158gr 357mag , 147gr 9mm etc . Lower pressure cartridges is not where you want to use CFE pistol IMO like special cartridges or 45acp .

Don’t get me wrong it “seems” to work in most cartridges but it has a place in the higher pressure range for cartridge then loading down , think HS-6 . It seems to do better when pushed a little harder .

Last edited:
Electrod47,

CFE powders only claim to keep copper fouling from building up (what rubs off bullet jackets and onto the bore) (a source of accuracy problems over a long course of fire). Nothing clean was ever claimed for the powder's own combustion products. If you want to see what a clean-burning powder looks like, see if you can find some Trail Boss and try a few loads in new brass with that. It's only for reduced loads, but I've had new bulk 45 Auto cases loaded with it that eject with no sign anything was burned in them either inside or out. Just bright, shiny brass all around.

MP-44

I reloaded some more rounds with the same charge. The only difference was to increase the crimp. My original loads were crimped less than the Lee set-up guide suggested. I went with the minimum suggested crimp.

Velocity increased around 100 fps, from 1100 to 1200fps, and the cases were much cleaner. It was also a very accurate load.

akinswi

I reloaded some more rounds with the same charge. The only difference was to increase the crimp. My original loads were crimped less than the Lee set-up guide suggested. I went with the minimum suggested crimp.

Velocity increased around 100 fps, from 1100 to 1200fps, and the cases were much cleaner. It was also a very accurate load.
Glad to hear it, Amazing what a little more crimp will do

MP-44

Wow that's incredible! 100 fps!!!
I was surprised by the jump from just the crimp, but my chrony is always consistent and has never given "weird" readings.

During the same shooting session, I ran some CCI SV from my S&W 41 and the readings were what I always get.

The 9mm pistol I was using was an HK USP Expert. Also, out of my CZ EVO carbine, the load was running 1300fps.

The crimp making that kind of difference suggests this powder is hard to light. For that reason, you could try magnum primers to see if they improve matters any further.

Marco Califo

I have CFE Pistol, have used it. I am now thinking that it needs Magnum Primers and solid crimping. I have Lee FCD for 45, 9mm, 40. I think the result could be better.