Recommendations please for a single action

Dogger

I have never owned a single action revolver. Have had a yearning for one for a LOOOONG time. Trouble is, I'm not sure which direction to go...

Ruger or something else?

Vaquero or blackhawk or redhawk? SAA clone?

Stainless or blue?

Bisley grips?

Adjustable sights?

About the only thing I have decided on is to go for a barrel length less than or equal to six inches, and caliber 45 Colt.

This gun would see most use at the range for plinking, and as a trail gun when I go fishing. It would also serve as the back-up to my primary handgun, which is aColt 1911 in 45ACP.

Pitfalls to avoid and gun recommendations will be most appreciated.

I want to keep the purchase price right around $400.

Please help me make a good choice.

Thanks.

AC

So much of what you are asking for is subjective opinion. But I will tell you what I like. Blue steel. Traditional grip. And adjustable sights.

It would be hard to go wrong on your first to get a .45 convertible Blackhawk (convertible since you already have an ACP). Blackhawks are very tough and the best single action for the dollar. Adjustable sights simplify your life unless it just has to look like John Wayne's.

Later on if you want something more traditional you can splurge on one of those USFA Colt copies that people rave are better than Colts ever were.

Byron Adams

Single Action

I concur on the Blawkhawk. I have carried as my mountain hiking revolver a Blackhawk in 357 for many years. Mine has the 9mm cyclinder. The fixed sight is nice and I have a Vaquero in 44 mag. Stay with Ruger. They are strong and accurate guns. The 45/45ACP would probaly be your best choice if you reload for the 45 Colt cartridge.

Bill Adair

Dogger,

I second the vote for a Blackhawk, and my favorite revolver is a stainless in 45 Colt, with 5.5" barrel.

The Redhawk is double action, but a great gun in it's own right.

If you prefer blue, I would consider the convertible, so you can shoot either 45 ACP, or 45 Colt.

My Blackhawk is as accurate as revolvers get, and very easy to maintain with the ss finish. I did add Pachmayr Presentation grips to cure a knuckle rapping problem with hotter loads, but you may not have the same problem.

The Vaquero is also an excellent choice, but I much prefer the adjustable sights on the Blackhawk, as I handload and shoot a variety of power levels, from light plinking loads, to hand bruising John Linebaugh loads. :D

http://www.sixgunner.com/

The 45 Long Colt (as it's sometimes called) is probably the finest handgun caliber ever developed! It can handle everything from light plinking loads, to bone thumping magnum level loads that rival the 44 magnum, and at lower chamber pressure! It's a pleasure to reload because of the case size, and components are still reasonable in price.

Best of luck in your search for a SA.

Bill

contender4040

Rugers are super strong and excellent revolvers, however, I like the vaquero as a trail gun as the adj sights on a blackhawk can be fragile in the field.

JohnK

I would say either a Bisley or Blackhawk, depending on how many heavy loads you plan on shooting. Really heavy 45 Colt loads in the Blackhawk are kind of rough on the hands. If you plan on shooting standard 45 Colt loads most of the time and only occationally going with the rip snorting loads the Blackhawk is great.

Bill Adair

Dogger,

Almost forgot!

The stainless Blackhawk is all stainless steel, including the grip frame and ejector housing, while the blued Blackhawk has an alloy grip frame, and I believe the ejector housing is also alloy.

Small point, but some people seem to prefer the all steel guns.

Bill

P

PreserveFreedom

The Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk are what I would choose. The difference comes in wether or not you want adjustable sights. Some clases of cowboy action shooting do not allow adjustable sights, so keep that in mind. All Vaqueros have fixed and all Blackhawks have adjustable. Personally, I prefer fixed sights on all my guns so I would pick a Vaquero. If you do decide on the Blackhawk, they make a Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC that also comes with a 45ACP cylinder. It would make a nice companion to your 1911. Hope this helps!

tonyz

The Ruger Bisley in 45/45ACP is what I would recommend.
In Stainless Steal.Here is a nice picture

976131594.jpg

JohnK

DennisE that is a limited production run so they're a tad difficult to locate. However there is a dealer over on the http://www.sixgunner.com discussion board who has a couple for sale. Ask for SK on their board if you want one.

Redneck2

FWIW

I just got a Ruger Bisley 45LC 7 1/2" adjustable sights. I was told they are now only available in blued if you want adjustable sights. If I could have gotten stainless I would have. I wanted something to plink with and deer hunt.

For the casual observer they look identical to a Blackhawk (at least to me). I have small hands and the Bisley fits me better. If you hold a Bisley and then hold a Blackhawk you can tell the difference. The grip angles down quicker on the Bisley and as stated above there's a little more room behind the trigger guard so your middle finger doesn't take a beating with heavier loads. I've never shot another LC, but this one has virtually no recoil with standard loads. I wanted adjustable sights for hunting. From what I understand, fixed sights work well with a limited number of loads, but if you want to change you have to go through extensive work (sometimes). Oh..I just paid exactly $400 (plus tax) at my local shop about 2 weeks ago.

Dakota Law Dog

I'm in agreement, a BH convertible, in .45/.45. Try the 4 5/8" barrel, if you're looking for an easy packin' gun. I have one, great shooter.

If you want blue, and don't like the alloy frame (makes it lighter though for totin' around) get a steel frame from Ruger, or Brownells or someone and bolt it on! I ended up with an extra Steel frame from a Blued Vaquero, and put it on one of my BH conv. in .357. Niiiiiiccccceee....

(BTW, extra frame came about like this: Had SS Sheriff's Vaquero, but the Qualite' Birdshead frame, did the conversion, put the SS grip frame on my .44 Blue Vaquero 5.5", put the blue steel frame from .44 on .357 BH conv. There, the short version)

Kernel

sa4a.jpg

Handgun perfection - a stainless 5 1/2" Ruger BH mated up to Brownell's Bisley Conversion kit. One major plus is you don't have to live with that godawful roll marking Ruger puts on all their factory Bisley cylinders.

What's a Blackhawk go for these days? Say $375 NIB. Stainless conversation kit runs around $135 (blue is $110). Sell the take-off parts on eBay for more than you might think - your total cost is well under $450. -- Kernel

p.s. Conversion kit will work on the Single Six too.

JohnK

Nice picture Kernel, that looks sweet! I can hardly wait until I get my 5.5" stainless Bisley, but mine will have the unfluted cylinder with the markings. Not a big deal since I plan on having it converted to 5 shot one some day.

Alpha 4

I have owned an American Arms Regulator, .45/.45ACP, 4 3/4", blue...looked traditional but was a piece of junk. Screws always loosened, even with "vibra-tight" on the threads. Lots of rough edges and machine marks. Accuracy was poor to good with various loads. Sold it and bought a Blackhawk, .45/.45ACP, 4 5/8", blue...not so traditional looking but it's a gem. It's a great "jack of all trades". Very accurate and built like a tank. Great handling too.

JoeHatley

Dogger,

Here is my version of a compromise Bis-Hawk .45 convertible. Fun factor is very high!!!

Joe

Attachments

• bis_hawk.jpg
    bis_hawk.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 67