Recommendations of best .22 rifle...

allenomics

In your opinion, what's the best .22 autoloading rifle for under $400?

I don't want to buy an expensive scope or accessories to make it function well. Looking for the best stock .22 on the market.

It will be used for target practice, not hunting.

I had been eyeing Ruger's 10/22 synthetic stock/stainless barrel. I can get one for $249. But, is there anything better out there for a guy on a budget?

jdc1244

I guess I’m just unlucky to get the only fussy 10/22. It’s tedious to have it stove pipe on all cheap ammo and only shoot the more expensive stuff.

I agree with the 511

gunlover_06

Pass on the 10/22 and get the marlin model 60 much better gun and don't have to add another $300.00 to $1000.00 dollars to get it to shoot anywhere as accurate out of the box as the marlin.....

OK boys bring on the 10/22 FLAMES:D

hoytinak

OK boys bring on the 10/22 FLAMES

No flames, but I've got a Marlin 60 also and I've put my 10/22 up against it and I'll take my 10/22 any day. It's more accurate and just feels better to me. (both are very reliable though) But hey, that's why there is different models out there...to fit everyone's needs.

Pointer

10-22 is a very good choice... if you decide later that you want even more you can do it yourself using the same 10-22. ;)

I guess I’m just unlucky to get the only fussy 10/22. It’s tedious to have it stove pipe on all cheap ammo and only shoot the more expensive stuff.
You have a worn out ejector hook... Get your 10-22 a titanium ejector and spring replacement... Stove pipes will disappear and they won't come back during your lifetime.

http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm

tINY

What about Magnum Research's version of the 10/22?

Browning makes a buckmark with a shoulder stock and a 16" barrel...

-tINY

azredhawk44

I'm partial to the Marlin autoloaders. Model 60 or 795. I prefer the 795 to get a stick magazine fed system over the 60's tube magazine.

I've never been overly impressed with the 10/22. Most of the ones I've seen though have been so "customized" that the barrel was no longer relieved from the stock and more often than not they no longer even worked.

One guy changed his to a 17HMR with a bull barrel but didn't relieve the stock for the larger contour. You could see the receiver rattling back and forth in the stock (no it wasn't an Akins conversion, just sloppy kitchen table gunsmithing).

I think the temptation is there for a lot of folks to make the 10/22 into something it isn't, and they get screwed up before they even get broken in.

ghettoestl

I'm partial to the Marlin autoloaders. Model 60 or 795. I prefer the 795 to get a stick magazine fed system over the 60's tube magazine.

I've never been overly impressed with the 10/22. Most of the ones I've seen though have been so "customized" that the barrel was no longer relieved from the stock and more often than not they no longer even worked.

One guy changed his to a 17HMR with a bull barrel but didn't relieve the stock for the larger contour. You could see the receiver rattling back and forth in the stock (no it wasn't an Akins conversion, just sloppy kitchen table gunsmithing).

I think the temptation is there for a lot of folks to make the 10/22 into something it isn't, and they get screwed up before they even get broken in.

AMEN, BROTHER, AMEN!!

I wont get a 10/22 just because everybody has them. That makes them worthless, cuz there are so many out there. It's like a damn '69 Camaro with a Small Block Chevy. EVERYBODY has um. Overmodification is retarded. Sleepers are awesome. Take for example if you could take a .22 rifle and chamber it for say.... a .270 Win, make it accurate and dependable and people would be like woah how did you do that with a .22! And you just smile and keep your mouth shut. Of course I guess it's easier to make a car fast as hell while keeping it looking and sounding bone stock.

Martyn4802

The most accurate out of the box 22 semi auto rifle is the Thompson Center Classic. It is capable of shooting 5 shots into a 1/4" group at 50 yards. The Ruger 10-22 is capable of shooting 1/4" groups, but a lot of money must be spent on parts upgrading to achieve that kind of accuracy. I have eight Ruger 10-22's all tricked out. A shooting buddy here has a Thompson Center Classis and I witnessed him shooting 1/4" groups with his rifle.

Martyn

Bigfatts

Remington 597. It's generally more accurate than the 10/22 and the 60 right out of the box and there is some upgradeability as well.

Picher

The Thompson Center is a very nicely made rifle, but I don't like the stock fit for me. I'm a bigger guy and like the Ruger 10-22T and it's stock.

With a bit of tinkering and few non-factory parts, most Rugers can shoot very well. The metallurgy of the bolt and other internal parts is fantastic.

I've written do-it-yourself instructions to accurize a 10-22 and they're posted in the Tips and Tricks Forum of Rimfirecentral.com. With very little money, a T-model can be turned into one heck of a shooter.

Picher