Recommend Revolver to a Buddy

Pahoo

One of my buddies asked me to recommend a revolver to him. Here are his requirements and what I recommended. Perhaps Y'all could give your blessings or recommend something else. ....... ;)

1) Has to be a revolver in .357.
2) Wants to use it for home defense and hunting.
3) Prefers double action.
4) Wants quality and reliability but price is will be a factor.

I recommended a Ruger GP-100, in a 6" barrel and full lug, as well as SS, as he hunts rough and hard, mostly WhiteTails, Mullies and possibly BlackBear. Another shooting buddy has one of these and had some trigger work done to it. WOW, it was every bit as good as a Smith and then perhaps some ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

sandbag

GP 100

You can't beat the GP-100 for reliability,brute strength,and price.
It'll handle any hot 357 load with ease.
It's not as if your buddy is looking for a classic revolver like a Python or S$W 27

tbeb

I don't hunt, but I'm thinking a .44 magnum would be a better choice for deer. My friend uses a Ruger Redhawk for that purpose, and not his .357 magnum. Your friend could load it with .44 specials for home defense. I read a very good article about hunting deer with a .357 magnum. 180 gr. JHP ammo worked if hunter only took broadside shots and never further than 50 yards. One of my friends took a deer with a GP-100 and a hot 158 gr. JHP reload. I own a Ruger Speed Six that, after trigger work by a competent gunsmith, has an 8-pound double action trigger pull (and cartridge ignition is reliable). I've also owned a GP-100 and it was a very good gun. If your friend chooses his shots carefully, then a Ruger GP-100 should work.

Webleymkv

Really, there are several good options available in both new and used. Since he said he wants to hunt, I'd recommend at least a 4" barrel with adjustable sights.

New
Ruger GP100
S&W 686
S&W M27
S&W 627

Used
Ruger Security Six
Ruger Redhawk (they did make them in .357 Magnum at one time)
S&W M19 (with 140grn or heavier Magnum)
S&W M66 (same ammo as M19)
S&W 586
S&W M28
Colt Python
Colt King Cobra
Colt Trooper

As has already been mentioned, a .44 Magnum might be a bit more suitable for hunting and would still be good for home defense when loaded with .44 Special or low-end .44 Magnums. Good choices in a .44 Magnum would include a Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Super Redhawk, S&W M29, S&W 629, or Colt Anaconda.

A Dan Wesson might be another consideration, but I really don't know enough about them to make a recommendation one way or the other.

roaddog28

+1 on what Webleymkv said. All of his recommendations I would second. If your really wants more of a hunting revolver then the 44 magnum is better. Also good recommendations by Webleymkv.

Good luck,
Howard

ZEBRARANGER

I'd have to agree, a GP100 would fit the description & purpose nicely. If its his first revolver, he'll probably have it forever. Depending on what he's hunting though, a 44 might do better for hunting.
015-1.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Either a Ruger GP or a S&W 686 would be a great chocie. I'd also opt for a 6" barrel with either gun. Truth be told, he couldn't make a wrong decision with either gun. The S&W has a slightly better trigger out of the box but even a stock GP isn't far behind the 686.

Tell your buddy to handle both and buy whatever gun feels the best in his hand.

rantingredneck

Agreed GP100.

Depending on how much hunting balances against other general uses I may opt for the 4" barrel.

The 4" will balance better and will holster and carry easier than the 6". I've owned 2 6" GP's and sold both. I'm down to two 4" and two 3" ones at the moment.

If he's dead set on a 6" look around for a half-lug 6" barrel, they're a little less nose-heavy than the full lug and balance better in the hand IMO.

There's also a limited run every now and then of 5" GP's.

In all of this, take into account the barrel length regulations where he hunts before he makes a final decision. Some states mandate minimums of 5 or 6".

Andy Taylor

I think one of the limited runs of 5" in the GP100 would be perfect. If one of those isn't available then the 6". I only say 6" because hunting is mentioned and concealed carry is not. If either of those conditions changed I would say 4".

BigJimP

I prefer the S&W over the Ruger ..../ but I have to say, hunting Mule Deer or Black Bear with a .357 magnum handgun is a poor idea ....and will probably not result in a clean kill unless he's inside 15 - 20 yards ....and that's awful close for a stalk ....

I have carried a .357 magnum in the woods a lot hunting / but not as a primary gun.

Having said that ...if he's serious about hunting with this gun - he really needs a 6" barrel to maximize his accuracy and range .....so the S&W 686 on a budget is probably the best way to go.

But I still think its a bad idea...because I won't hunt with any weapon that won't give me a 90% chance or better of a clean, one shot kill ....especially on Mule Deer or Black Bear ( and I've killed a lot of them in Western Montana over the years with .30-06 or .30-40 Krag ) and my share of White Tails...which, at least on a typical White Tail - with a close shot, you can take with a .357 mag handgun if you really wanted to - but I don't see any point to doing that either unless you're within 25 yards ....

temmi

Yep... I think you hit it on the head...

Ruger GP100

But the

S&W Model 386 XL Hunter...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57898_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Model: 386 XL Hunter
Caliber: .357 Magnum®
.38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 7 Rounds
Barrel Length: 6" / 15.2 cm
Front Sight: HI-VIZ® Fiber Optic Red
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Overall Length: 11.875" / 30.2 cm
Frame Size: Medium - Exposed Hammer
Action: Single/Double Action
Weight: 30 oz / 850.5 g
Grip: Synthetic
Frame Material: Scandium Alloy Frame
Stainless Steel Cylinder
Finish: Matte Black
Purpose: Recreational
Home Protection
Handgun Hunting

Eagle0711

Recommendations May Or May Not Work Out

I really dislike reccomending anything to any body. Some times it deosn't work for the other guy and they can get upset at you. Help him arrive or gently guide him to a at a decision that he likes and works for him. We are all different.

I once reccomended a friend to my boss who I thought was a good worker and dependable. The boss hired him on my reccomendation, and you guessed it. He was lazy, missed a lot of time, a real cull. The boss told me to tell my buddy that his check was in the mail. Man, was I suprised and embarassed. But I did learn a lesson. But felt like a fool.

Archer 9505

686 Plus

686 Plus 4 inch or 6 inch. The 6in would IMO be better for Hunting, longer sight radius and a little more velocity.

Oh, this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

user

I'd say GP100 is not "bad" advice, and it's a good second choice. But odds are it may cost as much to put it into good condition or more than one would spend on a Smith & Wesson. And it's not that much cheaper to begin with. No question if you get a good one, it's really really good, durable, easy to field strip and clean, and easily upgradeable with sight and grip options. For hunting, your friend will want good quality adjustable sights; you can get scope mounts for both GP100 and S&W L & N frame revolvers, but I wouldn't do that for home defense. I'd agree the 686 is probably the best choice, though I prefer the larger 627; I own 2 GP100's, but I will never again risk the downside of buying a Ruger (customer service is spotty to say the least - if the problem is easy, they're good; if not, they're horrible). My GP100's are perfect, now, but it took an awful lot to get them that way.

Rifleman 173

I'd also say a good Ruger with a 4 inch barrel is a good revolver for most shooter's needs. One of the few things Ruger did get right was their revolvers. Those things are built tough.