Recommend protection for a range safety officer

kilimanjaro

I'm with MarkCO on this one. A GSW Trauma Kit, or two of them, and first aid response training of the RSO's is going to be more beneficial to the public than your personal vest. Get the vest if you want one, but the range needs to seriously look at expending some funds on the trauma kits. Also consider a Defibrilator setup.

dajowi

A better means of protection would be another RSO on the line if you're trying to oversee 20 shooting stations by yourself.

jtmckinney

New shooter with a rental gun! I am thinking the rental should include clear verbal instructions at the counter and then physical introduction with the firearm at the table should at least be offered (or maybe mandatory for a rental) especially to a new shooter. And then close observation for a few rounds. If the person is good to go then then the person is good to go.

But then maybe I don't understand the economics of a range that rents firearms.

rpseraph

And yet NO ONE IS GIVING HIM ANSWERS TO HIS QUESTIONS!!

lol, silly internet.

Preventative measures aside... who can blame you for wanting to be protected. I watched something from Late Boy Scout on this recently, looks like a pretty amazing product, albeit expensive! Flexible, lightweight, totally hidden, and great protection.

Citizen Armor - Carbon Nano-Tube
https://ctznarmor.com/product/t-shield/

FaceTube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgeqART8WYU&t=0s

T. O'Heir

"...an RO keep a weapon..." An RO shouldn't need that either. Wouldn't help anyway. Accidents, generally, do not broadcast they're about to happen.
"...a range user has..." You'd need to be aware and 'Quicksdraw'. It'd be another thing you cannot prepare for.
Any vest that will stop a close range .223 will be expensive, heavy and hot. You'll note the Citizen Armor T-shirt will not and starts at $600.
"...most recent situation..." Armour may or may not have helped if things had gone bad. Close range shot to the femoral artery gives you about 3 minutes. Taking 3 minutes for a range safety talk when the FNG shows up makes it go away.

Never seen it myself, but that doesn't preclude taking reasonable measures for one's own safety. Depends on the people on the range.

The club in Pueblo requires every member to be certified as a range safety officer. Everybody is then on the same page.

damienph

I was a range safety officer for a couple of years until I moved. We scheduled an RSO on each firing line with a maximum of ten shooters each. We just wore a blaze orange vest with our NRA RSO patch and Hunter Safety patch sewn on the front.

I haven't heard of a range that requires all members to be RSOs. Do they still have a designated RSO on the firing line?

No argument there. But understand that we will have to make fun of you.
I had a nearly deaf machinist tell me this once when I took over his machine at shift change and got hearing protection out of my tool box. I'm still laughing at him.

I have spoken to several RSOs who wear armor. All had them from another job and did not buy just for RSO though. I personally would worry much more about spending that amount of time at a range and the air quality.

Chainsaw.

"ange officer should not need body armor. They do need to learn situational control through voice commands and positioning. I would recommend an RO keep a weapon hot in their holster at all times in case a range user has bad intentions."

What? You admit that sometimes people do bad things with guns on firing lines (not arguing that point at all) you then advise his to be hot so he can get in a gun fight but NOT wear body armour? Would you tell a firefighter to keep a hose charged but not wear his fire suit? I don't understand this thought process.

I have been to ranges where he RSO chose to wear a plate carrier. While I think it's like wearing a helmet in the woods in case of falling branches. The likelihood of a branch actually hitting you in the head is very slim but you're not wrong for taking a step towards safety. Odd perhaps but not wrong.