Recommend a S&W 357 mag snub nose

TennJed

I am a Ruger and really not too familar with S&W centerfire models (I do have a 617 22lr) guy but would like to get myself a decent Smith 357 snub nose. No paticular purpose. maybe the occasional carry, but the main reason is I want one.

I would like to keep it under $600.00 My finish preference would be blued (not the modern "Black") first, followed stainless, and last would be "black". 5 or 6 shots, and no more than a 2.5"

What would you recommend?

Jack19

Like Shotgun693 said, get yourself a decent K-Frame and do what you have to do to conceal it when you use it that way.

J-Frame .357s..about a cylinder full is enough. :eek:

CajunBass

My wife likes her Model 65LS, Ladysmith.

100_0309.jpg

So do I now that I think about it, but she's selfish. :D

Deja vu

I love my 640. No hammer to get caught and has a Crimson trace 305 grip on it for a bit bigger (and softer) grips and the laser is nice too. :D

bumnote

Find a used M-19 snub. Should be able to find one for less than what you want to spend. Mine is my main carry. Heavy enough to soak up enough recoil, but not heavy enough to become a bother.

0001111m.jpg

Last edited:

Tad_T

I have a Model 66-4 2.5" that is my carry revolver.

My Model 19-4 is a 6" and is a little large for easy concealed carry.

They are both great weapons. Neither a snub nose 19 nor a 66 would disappoint.

JimmyR

+1 Model 19

I have a Model 19 4", and while I can't speak to it's snub nosed brother, I will say that for a 50 odd year old revolver (19-3), mine is a freaking tack driver and a pleasure to shoot.

glenncal1

If you want to shoot .357s out of it I would go with a K frame over the J frame 19 or 66, I think they did make some 2.5" 686 but don't quote me. They would be even better on recoil. .357 out of a J frame is pretty snappy.

BigJimP

+1 on the model 19's ..if you want blued...

Model 66 ...if you can settle on stainless.....
----------------
and you should be able to find either one in the $ 600 price range ..in very good to excellent condition.
--------------
Personally, if I carry a revolver ...I find very little difference in weight between the 2 1/2" and the 4" ...and I shoot the 4" a whole lot better than the 2 1/2" beyond 21 Feet....but beyond 21 Feet may not matter to you if its only a Defense gun. The longer sight plane ...is primarily the issue between the 2 1/2" and the 4" making the 4" easier to shoot. But I find the K frame S&W's model 19's or 66's very easy to shoot with typical 158 gr .357 mag loads ( and I shoot them a lot )...

Model 66-1's  4 and 2 inch 008.jpg
a couple of my model 66's ...in 4" and 2 1/2" ( I have model 19's as well in 4" - but I prefer Nickel on the model 19's).

Handguns - Nov 2009 010.jpg (a pair of 4" model 19's are at lower right / pair of model 66's in 4" at upper right ).

Comancheseven

I have a Smith & Wesson 686, 6 shot 2.5 inch and it is great. It's a bit heavy but I do carry it with a Jackass Shoulder rig and I conceal it with a light jacket. You will like the weight when you are shooting full power 357 Mag's.

Dave

Microgunner

It's black and a little pricy but the 340PD is the absolutely easiest .357Mag to carry I've ever owned.
11.4oz, 1.875" bbl. 5-shot.

340PD001.jpg