Recommend a 9mm, HP Ammo

Pahoo

Lately have been involved locally, with debates on defense ammo. I think we can agree that the .45ACP and .40, will get the job done and the 9mm, is marginal to some folks. For those of us who have shot all three and settled on the 9mm, what ammo do you recommend for self defense purposes?

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

Cheapshooter

Do a Google search for 9MM ballistic gel tests. Lots of good videos with results.
Most any modern self defense (HP) name brand will work well. The main concern is if it will function 100% reliably, and have adequate accuracy in your firearm.
My choice for carry in my Kahr CM9 is Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr8. +P.

Fishbed77

I think we can agree that the .45ACP and .40, will get the job done and the 9mm, is marginal to some folks.

Frankly, all commonly-used pistol calibers are marginal at best. You have to step up to rifle calibers to "get the job done." That is why you shoot until the threat stops when defending yourself.

That said, there is practically no real-world difference between modern .45ACP, .40SW, and 9mm high-quality self-defense loads on the human body. This has been confirmed time and again.

As far as 9mm self-defense loads, I usually carry 124-grain Speer Gold Dot JHP or 135-grain Hornady Critical Defense. Not because there is anything magical about them, though - just because I can usually find them available locally for a decent price.

diggler1833

The FBI has listed which ammo has passed their test protocol:

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Best bet is to find one that functions flawlessly in your own firearm.

DA/SA Fan

I believe Speer GoldDot is considered to be about the best. Depending on which gun you're using, you can choose from standard pressure to +P and even short barrel offerings. I would go with 147 grain +P if you don't mind the extra kick in your particular firearm, but if you need more 9mm like recoil, the 124 grain standard pressure will do just fine. Personally, I go with Underwood or Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P+ for the first 6 rounds in the magazine followed up with Buffalo Bore 124 grain +P+ FNFMJ Penetrators. Might be a little stiff for you if you rejected .40 S&W though.

TunnelRat

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr Short Barrel +P. Shoots very well in all my pistols, never a malfunction, and here in the northeast I never see HST or Ranger T in any stores.

TailGator

I am in the same boat as TunnelRat seems to be: among the premium HPs, Gold Dots were the most available around here. It is nice to be able to stock back up without feeling like you have to function test all over again.

The differences between the premium brands are pretty darn thin, though.

Cyanide971

I use (and have a pretty good stock pile of) Federal HST, Speer Gold Dots, and Hornady Critical Duty, and all of them in standard pressure loadings. I can almost always get any of these 3 from either SG Ammo and/or Ammunition Depot, as they are usually in stock at any given time.

AustinTX

There are a number of excellent self-defense rounds available these days. After reviewing the results of as many tests as I could find, I chose 124-grain Gold Dot +P for my 92FS (nightstand gun) and the "short barrel" version of the same round for my PPS.

T. O'Heir

The ammo that your pistol shoots the most accurately. Nothing else is as important. As mentioned, there's no pistol cartridge that gives a 100% guarantee of anything.

tjhands

Get the right ammo and there's VERY little difference between 9mm and .40SW or .45ACP.

124g +P Gold Dot and 147g Federal HST are my choices.

Webleymkv

Just about any modern JHP in the 115-147 gr weight range will work fine in a 9mm. My personal choice is Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ T-Series, but I'm also impressed with Speer 124 gr +P Gold Dot, Federal 124 gr +P HST, and Hornady 135 gr +P Critical Duty.

HeadShrinker

Well I'm new here, so I realize without being known, my opinion carries little weight, but... I like the Cor-Bon 115 grain +P Jacketed HP in my little CZ 75 Compact PCR. And in all honesty, I would rather have that with me, (with 15 rounds), than a 1911, and I love and trust 1911's a lot. Just my opinion... I have to say I learn something everyday here on this forum, which is why I decided to join and put in my 2 cents...

Pahoo

Welcom aboard !!!

Well I'm new here,
Makes no difference in here as your input is valued just as much as anyone else. Heck, I'm the one that is asking because I too am on the learning curve, of this "Great Adventure", ..... :)

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!

Worc

I like loads from Corbon in the DPX 115gr, Hornady C Duty 135 gr & C Defense 115gr, Sig Sauer V Crown 124gr, and Speer GDHP 124 gr. All of them function fine in all of my guns and are good in terms of accuracy. Right now I'm using either the C Cuty and the Sig V Crown depending on the gun.

Sharkbite

I have used Speer Gold Dot (in varies calibers) for years. My old agencies testing sold me on this bullets ability to perform across a wide variety of tests.

Currently, i use 147gn Gold dots when running suppressed and 124gn if i bother to change out ammo. Mostly i just leave the 147gn in the gun with or without the can.

cryogenic419

+1 for the sgammo.com recommendation. You can get 50 round boxes for what everybody else sells 20 round boxes for.

As long as it functions in your gun and is reasonably accurate, I don't think you can go wrong choosing any of the offerings by the major manufacturers.

skoro

My preferences, in no particular order:

Federal HST, if you can ever find it...

Speer Gold Dot

Whatever Remington is calling their Golden Sabers this month

Winchester PDX

I like 124gr because it feeds in all of my pieces. But the 147gr is great if your pistol digests it well.

skizzums

I like the hornaday flex-tip line. they always expand like they should, but, this is such a subjective matter and everyone on here is going to have a different favorite. 9mm is a fast round and is likely to expand everytime with a decent bullet design. I like to stay around 125gr for speed and weight, and that's what the cartridge was designed for. Stay away from the silly gimmick rounds and find one that has a good velocity and make sure it does well in your firearm.