Recoil

Rustic

shooting should be enjoyable

so you'll shoot more, enjoy more, etc. The answers above will get you there, although I have no experience with big boomers.

A. good recoil pad and good stock fit are essential
B. light bullet, managed recoil loads to get comfortable
C. scope mounted? the extra weight will help but give it plenty of room for the gun to recoil
D. PAST pad, "sissy bag", other ways to spread the impact work well
E. a T3 lite may have space in the stock to add weight if necessary. Spread it out to balance properly
F. If it's a hunting gun, you don't want to heat the barrel up anyway. Shoot 3, let it cool while shooting something else, try another 3. Notice what happens as it heats up.
G. muzzle brake as a last resort. Too antisocial for me.

I am sure you have good eye and ear protection. Too much noise will cause anyone to jump the gun. Time and experience will help more than anything.

XD Gunner

After reading some brake reports, I think I may actually stay away from them...apparently the sound increase is rediculous...

Last edited:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've been shooting an '06 since I was a kid, and that's a long time gone. My ego has never been involved in my benchrest shooting. I'm as happy to use a "sissy bag" or other padding as anybody might be.

Sure, changing to a really-soft recoil pad is a Good Thing, but don't worry about adding even more softness when at the bench. Nobody else's opinion matters.

I'll sometimes sandbag the rifle sorta high and bring my left arm around and under the stock, with my left fingers across the buttpad. That basically creates a rounded four-inch-wide buttpad. Really spreads the recoil load.

In the field, shooting at Bambi, I've never felt any recoil at all. :)

Art

Picher

I'm with Art when it comes to bench advice. Do what is most comfortable for you. Add sandbags behind the stock, a slip-on pad, whatever. You'll shoot better and be happier with your accuracy.

When you're hunting, recoil won't be in your mind and you won't feel the rifle go off.

Picher

XD Gunner

I have no problem with recoil in the field, like many of you, I simply dont feel it...

I have a pad here that was used for shoe-ing horses...It straps onto your thigh, but should be no problem to fit to a shoulder...Ive been kicked by a 6 month old coltwith it on and barely felt it, Im sure the colt had more pressure on impact than a rifle...

Charles S

Don't feel like a weenie. I just posted that I think my Tikka T3 lite 270 Winchester kicks harder than either of my 300s. I agree, the gun has substantial recoil.

and a friend suggested looking into muzzlebrakes...

No...never on a hunting rifle. I just really don't like brakes, recoil never bothers me after a hunt, but my ears do. I really don't recommend a break.

There have been some excellent suggestions for dealing with recoil. I highly recommend the PAST recoil shield.

If you are doing load development for several rifles, I cannot state how well the Caldwell Lead Sled works for dampening recoil and helping you shoot well.

I like the suggestion of the limbsaver pre-fit for the T3. I am going to look into that myself. Does anyone know if the 10112 or the 10011 fits the Tikka T3 Lite?

Great gun. I love mine, light, very accurate, easy to carry. I have already killed 4 deer with mine and have only had if for two years now.

Last edited:

XD Gunner

Charles S, your going to want the 10011 for the T3 Lite, I just returned a 10112 because it is for the wood stocked ADL/BDL 700 Rems and T3 Hunter/Deluxe/Battue...

Charles S

Thanks XD Gunner. I will order one today or tomorrow. I have really been impressed how well the limbsaver recoil pads work.

I have one on a Remington 700 30-06 and it really helped with recoil.

armedtotheteeth

I havent seen any one recommend it yet, but how about adding some weight to the butt of the gun?? Like a pound of shot in a well balanced location in the stock somewhere. , Just a thought. Im a weenie too. I shoot 18 pound 300 winn mag with a Muzzle break. It kicks like a 22.

Ian2005

Bad Recoil? I have not seen anyone mention this, but I found it at Bass Pro and put it on the butt of my shotgun and it works excellent. Of course it will work perfectly on any rifle or shotgun stock and looks good to. The product is right next to the ear muffs, limbsavers, etc - it comes in Mossy Oak camo and is basucally a piece of Neoprene with pieces of foam inserts (some large, some small) form fitted to the butt of your rifle. You simply insert as many as needed (I onll added one) and it slips over a small portion of the butt stock. Couldn't be easier & works like a charm.

Here it is:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=35502&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

XD Gunner

Thanks XD Gunner. I will order one today or tomorrow. I have really been impressed how well the limbsaver recoil pads work.

I have one on a Remington 700 30-06 and it really helped with recoil.

No problem, I'm glad I can be of assistance, I'm waiting until after the Thanksgiving Holiday to order one...

Jeffenwulf

I have the Limbsaver 10011 on order right now. I have the Tikka T3 Lite in .270 and it definitely kicks harder than I had expected. I guess weighing in at just over 6 pounds will do that. I definitely flinch less with good hearing protection, plugs under earmuffs. With any luck the recoil pad will tame the savage beast.

Charles S

The Limbsaver 10011 went on my T3 without any problems and made a difference in felt recoil.

I think you will be pleased.

Jeffenwulf

Good to hear, I think I might try out something other than 180 grain bullets as well. I've been firing only handguns and M-16s for so long I forgot what I used to know about real guns. I'm re-learning quickly.

Jeffenwulf

Good question, I had thought it was Win super X, but that's only 150 grain. I'll check around to see if I can figure it out. That's odd. I'm not even 30 and my mind is going already. Guess it could have been a box of 150 grain rather than 180.

Watermain

I would be interested to know why you chose the .270 which has about 15 - 17 lbs of recoil, rather than something that would do much the same job, but which does not have the recoil (6.5x55, 7-08, 25-06). The lighter recoiling types would almost certainly have meant that you could concentrate on the target, rather than being off-put by the belt in the shoulder you have learned to anticipate.

I'm sure you did your homework, because you bought a damned fine rifle, but some range trials with prospective calibres might have saved you some trouble.

It's a bit like the guy in San Francisco who was asked the way to New York. He replied, well if I were going to New York, I wouldn't start from here.