Recoil

XD Gunner

Okay, so I may be a weeny. I took the Tikka out today and ran a box through to break it in. My shoulder hurts and Im bruised, nicely...ya know, a good one to brag about.

HOWEVER, I found myself flinching from the recoil about half the box through, I have heard of people using the Limbsaver Pad with success, if anyone has a Tikka with the Limbsaver pad, which pad do I need to order, and how do I install it. Forgive me for my questioning, Im new to this and this is the first rifle I have bought new or modified.

Rifle is a Tikka T3 in .270WIN

Thanks everyone.

Aaron

What caliber is it? Is it a T3? Lightweight?

Nevermind, I must have not read that part. I shoot .25 06 and I do have a recoil pad, but that is just for a better fit. If you are having trouble flinching I suggest that you buy some snap caps and dry fire.

joshua

A 270Win in an 8 lb rifle will still recoil, but it should be manageable. I have a 270Win and usually if I fire it after shooting my heavy barreled 22-250 or 223 I tend to hold the 270win a little loose and it lets me know to hold it like a real rifle instead of a puff recoiling varminter. Before calling yourself a weeny :D assess the way you're holding the rifle. Also, you feel more recoil when shooting on a bench in a low position. Put more sandbags or raise that bench rest to get a more upright sitting position. If you lean into it with your arms glued to the bench that butt stock will put all that recoil on your shoulder that is glued to the bench. Just my opinion from shooting experience. josh

rem33

Protect yourself.
Maybe I am a weenie too I could care less what anyone thinks.
I was sighting in a black powder today using 355 grain bullets with 100 grains of powder in a light cheapo rifle. I put a pair of leather gloves between the gun butt and my shoulder. Use a heave jacket, fold up a towel or anything to reduce the recoil when sighting in a gun that will make you flinch. You want to prevent that flinch. If the gun doesn't hurt you your gonna be a much better shot with it.
Let the guy next to ya chuckle if he's a jerk so what. When your out hunting your not going to even feel that recoil, at least I dont'. The buddy that chuckeled will say " good shot" when you shoot that deer at a couple of hundred yards.

joshua

One more thought. Since that bench will not follow you to the hunting fields, make sure you practice your field shooting positions to know where that rifle is going to hit. I hunt out west and range of the shot can vary from 25 yards to 400 (my limit on big game). When shooting off hand I tend to shoot low, but with a good rest it's like shooting off the bench. With shooting sticks it hits high. I don't feel recoil at all when shooting at game. josh

XD Gunner

If you are having trouble flinching I suggest that you buy some snap caps and dry fire.

Its not a problem for those 1-3 shot setups...I noticed it after the soreness in my shoulder set in 10 rounds into it...this 6lb gun is hell after more than a few shots...

I just put an order in for a Limbsaver Recoil pad, and a friend suggested looking into muzzlebrakes...

It is a T3 Lite, I didn't mention that part...

I have had my experiences going from a smaller rifle to the "big" .270's and 30-06's...

Went from a .22LR to a 12gauge 3" once...bloody nose, butt on the ground, cursing kind of hurt...

hoghunting

Since it's the Lite with a synthetic stock, Limbsaver makes a prefit pad for that stock. It's an easy replacement. Very good pad and will tame the recoil. Do yourself a favor and forget the muzzle brake as the new pad with help tame recoil and the muzzle brake will make your rifle too loud for you and anyone around you.

trstafford

practice shooting

When hunting you would not shoot 20 rounds at game. Might I suggest that you shoot the 270 3-5 times and stop before you start hurting and flinching. then shoot a nice 22 or 223 type to practice your technique and different positions.

scottys1

Another option is a recoil shield that straps onto your shoulder. I have one made by Past that works quite well for those extended range sessions.

T. O'Heir

Pull the rifle more firmly into your shoulder and change ammo. Use a lighter bullet, put a slip on recoil pad and ask for help on the range.

snolden

dry fire and shoot more.

always shoot more. dry fire some more. works for me even wth my little mosin nagant m44.

I guess i wounldnt call you a weenie because our abilities to absorb recoil are much different from person to person. I weight 185 lbs and am 6'1" tall. i can easily absorb 10 rounds from my .375 H&H mag with no problems. ive shot 5 rounds from a .416 rem magnum wihtout trouble but i was sore the next day. I shot ten rounds out of my new .45-70 yesterday and feel fine. My dad is a little bigger than me and he has a hard time with a .30-06 firing only a few rounds.

If you are flinching you need to stop shooting your .270 and shoot a .22 until the flinch is gone. i had a severe flinch when i was a kid from the .416 dakota magnum i owned. i had to shoot a .22 for almost six months to get rid of the flinch. It seems to me you might be scared of the recoil. Find a gun that you are comforatble with and shoot it until your fear of recoil is gone. the only other way to get rid of that fear is to shoot something so big it kicks the crap out of you. It took shooting an uncompensated .458 magnum to reach my recoil fear limit. After that shooting anything else "wasnt that bad".

SW

dfaugh

You're not a weenie...I had a Lightweight Winchester .270, and I couldn't make it through a box of shells, shooting off the bench. It just plain kicked my butt. BUT, it didn't have a recoil pad on it. Today, all my rifles have recoil pads, heavier stocks, and in some cases, ported barrels. I can shoot any of them 40-50 rounds before I start to get a little sore (and I seperated my rt shoulder a few years back, so I'm maybe more sensitive)

P.S. the advice about shooting a .22 is good. I now shoot 100-150 rounds of .22 every time I go to the range. Besides being cheap, Its improved my technique with my "big" guns.

I used to warm up to .45 practice by shooting my .41 mag Blackhawk with full-house loads. Just two cylinder's full fired one-handed, then the .45 felt like such a creampuff afterward that any temptation to flinch was gone.

A lot of people have some bones closer to the surface or are simply less padded by flesh in that area than others. Some buttplates just conform to some people better than others. I've run into shotgun stocks that bruise my cheek while others recoil away from it. Its just personal ergonomics.

Take a look at the PAST recoil shoulder pads. I've used these just to extend the pull of shorter stocks, but like them better than extending the rifle itself, which I find can interfere with fast mounting of the rifle. A PAST pad under your outerwear does not.

Jeff Cooper taught us to pull a rifle stock firmly into the shoulder to pre-load against recoil. His snap shooting technique set this up. Get a copy of The Art of the Rifle to see it. This method also makes sure you spread the recoil over the widest area the buttplate can cover.

Nick

Picher

I use a Past recoil pad and it works well when bench testing centerfires. But Years ago, when siting in magnums as a gunsmith and shooting lots of rifles, I took a 4" x 8" (approx.) bank money bag and filled it about 3/4 full of sand, then sewed it across on my wifes sewing machine.

I placed it between the rifles and my shoulder and found that it conformed perfectly to my shoulder and both absorbed much of the recoil and distributed the remainder over a very broad area.

There was never any bruising and I could shoot dozens of shots without flinching, pain, or bruising. I fired several huge magnums while doing that work and never felt pain.

Picher

XD Gunner

I weight 185 lbs and am 6'1" tall.

Im probably built like you then, Im 6'3'' and 200...I think I start expecting the recoil, and then pre-flinch...

I learned to "pre-load" the rifle a few years ago with a .30-30 brush gun with no pad...I always "press" a rifle into my shoulder a bit, it not only reduces felt recoil greatly, but helps my accuracy just as much...

I think its more of a mental thing than anything now...Ive been thinking about everything, and I tended to think of the .270 as a .22LR, a .22LR is the only other rifle I have shot more than 3 or 4 shots...I think that Im settling back into the its a .22, it wont hurt mindset, then it snaps and my shoulder suffers...

At anyrate, a relative just got in from the military, and he's all about the muzzlebrake (he's all about .308's and Barretts as well) I think I will have him fit a brake on the .270 since it will be cheap (read:free) and for my own personal satisfaction, it makes the rifle look "cool"...

Here is what Im doing to correct myself though...

Recoil Pad, 25 dollars, why not? But, moreover, Im taking my little brothers .223 Varmint rifle out with about 100 hot handloads and Im just going to shoot the hell out of it...

After that, Its the .30-30 again with no pad and some hot handloads...then the .270 with normal loads....

Im also going to try on the Barrett and see how a .50BMG feels... The way I see it, If I live through the big 50, a .270 should feel like a toy...

Last edited:

DnPRK

I goofed up my shoulder 30+ years ago playing HS football. When shooting heavy boomers from the bench, I use a 25 lb bag of #7-1/2 shot between me and the rifle butt. In the field, I use a strap-on PAST pad to spread the recoil over a larger area.

tomh1426

If your sholders bruised your not putting the butt of the rifle in your "pocket".
Between your collar bone and sholder is a soft fatty spot "your pocket" if the rifles placed properly it will push your body insted of bashing your sholder.
I also dry fire my Mosin Nagant M-44 to get used to the trigger and stop me from flinching