Recoil comparison 44mag,45LC, 41mag

Buzzcook

.45 Colt out of a long barrel Blackhawk is going to be much easier than the .44 if you stay wth bullets .300gr and lower and in the 1100fps range.i

Noreaster

I appreciate all the info. I'm keeping my T/C set up the way it is and I'm going for a Blackhawk in 45 or 41. Nothing wrong with buying another gun. Just found a used blackhawk in 45 colt with a 7.5 inch barrel. I was looking for a 6.5 but I'm gonna go check this one out. Which ever caliber I get I'm not going to load heavy for deer under 50 yds. I had a 6.5 inch blackhawk in 357 mag years ago that I enjoyed carrying in the woods.

kcub

I once killed a big axis buck which is substantially larger than Texas whitetails with the .41 Blackhawk. It was a commercial 210 grain jsp, Winchester I believe. Broke through the thickest, boniest part of the shoulder and onward through the heart/lung area.

Mystro

A 45LC is a great deer killer with out the snappy recoil but it won't have the power as a 44mag. That said, a 44mag is probably the ultimate hunting handgun for deer.

Last edited:

mete

I've tested the factory loads of premium bullets in my 44mag. Comparing them to my old less than max handloads.
Corbon DPX [Barnes bullet] and the Swift A-frame equaled the recoil of my loads. The Speer 'Deep Curl' however had considerably higher recoil and I think my shooting technique would have to change.
I tested the A-frame and DPX on 250 lbs red deer in a culling operation. Both performed very well !! So no need to use a hot load especially since my M29 is an older one .
For you handloaders don't get into the "how hot can I load it" syndrome. It's not necessary. Use premium bullets andpick a comfortable load.

30Cal

I've got both .41 and .44 Magnum Ruger Flat Tops, and to me with full house loads, I can barely feel the difference in recoil. I've replaced Ruger's "Cheese Grater" grips with wood ones of my own making, a bit thicker than the Cheese Graters. Both of these guns are easier to handle for me than my S&W's in the same calibers.

I also have a New Vaquero in .45 LC, but I don't load it up to the point where it approaches the recoil of the .41 and .44.

Ruger offers a Bisley model that some find, handles heavy recoil better that the standard, SAA or Ruger grip.

HTH's Rodfac (30Cal's Dad)

m&p45acp10+1

I prefer the .41 Mag Black Hawk. I have the 6.5 inch model with replacement wood grips. With hot loads I would take the .41 over the .44 Mag. I have a Colt Anaconda that I shoot rarely with lighter loads. It is a family heirloom so I baby it. Though I have shot a few full house factory loads from it. I prefer the .41 Mag.

22-rimfire

Since I shoot mostly factory loads, I find the 41 mag a lot more pleasureable to shoot although the recoil is there. Accuracy seems to dominate my preference for the 41 mag. But I suppose you could do the same thing with a 44 mag or 45 LC. My guess is that equal loads (velocity) will probably feel better in 45LC as compared to both the 41 and 44 mag.