Recoil comparison 44mag,45LC, 41mag

Noreaster

I'm thinking of a 6.5 inch Blackhawk for short range deer hunting. I currently use a T/C 44 mag w/ Bushnell 2-7 scope. I've been hunting close in lately and decided to take the scope off and I didn't appreciate the recoil without the added weight of the scope (getting old I guess.) My question, does the 41 mag that much less recoil or is it about the same. How about 45 Colt loaded down to say 1100fps. I've set the 44 back up with the scope for longer shots and I like the idea of a BH for close in stuff. Any first hand experience with these calibers would be greatly appreciated. N/E

smee78

I own both 44 & 45's and have always perfered a 45 due to the push back in the hand verses the snap of the 44. If you are loading your own ammo then you could just down load the 44 ammo to your needs if that is an option? Also ammo cost will be up there if you are not reloading for the 45 or 41mag.

jmortimer

The .45 Colt operates at lower pressure for any given load apples to apples. It has less "impulse" and is easier to shoot. In the end, heavy loads with .41, .44 or .45 means heavy recoil. I'll take the .45 Colt, lower pressure for same weight bullets at same velocity and a larger diameter as well.

Cheap 870

Ive got a Ruger 45colt 3 3/4"bbl. that says your wrong.
45colt vs. 44mag recoil loaded to the same equivalent you can't feel the difference.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Depends on the gun but 45 Colt will be easier on the hand and wrist, even loaded hot. My 44 mag has a 7 1/2" barrel and is stout but bearable, the 41 mag has a 4" barrel and until I put the Hogue grips on it it was an exercise in masochism. I have never used optics on a handgun so I get a pretty good beating everytime I shoot.

Noreaster

Thanks for the feed back. I'm going to keep my scoped setup and I'm looking for a handier revolver, (really like the 6 1/2 inch blackhawk,) for my stands in the thick stuff. Shots will be thirty to forty yards and I wandered about going down in caliber for easier shooting. I've heard the 41 mag is less recoil and the 45 Colt with slower hardcast loads is a joy to shoot and will still punch through a deer.

jglsprings

You need to shoot another gun... I'd wager you would like the Blackhawk.

My Contender in 44 mag nearly ruined me for pistol shooting. I currently own 3 other 44s and I know I'm not recoil adverse. (4" Model 629, 8" Model 29, Dan Wesson 4" and 6"). I'd shoot the revolvers all day compared to my Contender.

I don't know, grip design, shape - whatever - it is NOT pleasant to shoot IMHO.

FWIW - I do not have a scope on my Contender.

Capt Rick Hiott

Noreaster,,,have you looked into porting the barrel?
I can shoot my Taurus Raging Bull 454 with one hand. The recoil is not bad at all.
The ported barrel makes a big difference!

jmortimer

I have had ported guns and did not like them - flash in no/low light no-go for me and if you want to shoot shot shells no can do. Also more muzzle blast. If I want crazy power, I will get a heavier gun.

Bob Wright

The amount of recoil is dependent on what you load into the chambers.

Some of my .45 Colt loads can knock you hat off if not careful. And some of my .44 Magnum loads leave you looking to make sure you actually fired.

Bob Wright

kcub

.41 Blackhawk is the cat's meow, all the power you need,recoil isn't bad.

I prefer the long 6.5" old model.

Jayhawkhuntclub

The amount of recoil is dependent on what you load into the chambers.

Some of my .45 Colt loads can knock you hat off if not careful. And some of my .44 Magnum loads leave you looking to make sure you actually fired.

Bob Wright

THIS is the correct answer. Asking how a 45 Colt recoils is like asking "how long is a string?" It just depends. Some of my 45C Ruger only deer loads will wake you up.

feets

The TC is feisty due to the mild weight and lack of a cylinder gap. I have lots of trigger time behind my TC and my revolvers. The recoil doesn't really compare.
That 44 only has one hole to vent pressure. A revolver will vent through the cylinder gap. That gap greatly reduces recoil.
If you are a hand loader try stepping the loads down a wee bit. The same weight bullets at the same velocity will recoil about the same.
Personally, I'm a fan of fat 45s moving around 1100 fps. Recoil reduction is noticeable when you back off from 1400 fps.

GeauxTide

I've got all three in Ruger Bisley and SBH. The 45 Bisley recoils the least with the least report from 10gr of Unique under a 275 LFN. The 41 would be next, followed by the 44 SBH. You might consider a Lipseys Ruger Bisley in 44 Special in 5.5". It is just outstanding. With 240s from 1000-1200, it'll cover what you need. With 8gr of Unique under a 240, I can hold six on an 8" pie pan at 100........

Rebel9793

The .41 mag is much more pleasurable to shoot opposed to the .44mag. I own both, but I prefer my .44 Super redhawk.

bowfishn

Back in the early 80's a friend of mine purchased a TC Contender 10" octagon barrel that had a screw on choke for shooting shot shell loads. It was a very light weight gun with poor grip design, with really hot 44 mag loads it was worse than shooting a 454 Casull. Same loads out of our SBH's were mild in comparison.
A 300 grain or lighter bullet shot at 1200 fps should be fairly mild out of either the 44 mag or the 45 lc.
Even the 300 grain Bullets out of my 44 mag SRH 10" Barrel at better than 1500 fps are not bad, but perceived recoil is different with each person, of coarse the 10" SRH is a heavy handgun.Try them and see which you prefer.