Rebirth of the 32s?

jski

I saw this episode of the Lucky Gunner and it really made me consider something I hadn’t considered before: getting a 32 cal wheelgun.

Why the Best Snub Nose Caliber is .32

I saw this video after BOTH Brownell’s “GunSmyth” recommended it and likewise for Ken Hackathorn. Is there a renewed interest in the 32s, especially as carry guns, a pocket pistol? That would be a good thing!

Last edited:

Dunross

I favor a snub 44spl myself, but I have been slowly climbing onto the 32 bandwagon for other purposes. Couple of 32acps, an SP101 and a Henry in 327 Fed Mag. Just bought a thousand 115gr rn/fp bullets to play with. As a field and kit gun there's a lot to be said for 327. When I can't carry a larger caliber a P32 gets to go.

Now if 32acp ammo would just reappear!

Don Fischer

I've got a 32ACP in a Savage 1917 and a 32 Long in a S&W mod 16 w/6" barrel. I don't use either as a carry gun. I don't think the 32 will replace a 9mm as a carry gun. (mm I have is light, short small and fires with 8rd magazine. I love my 32 long but believe it's better suited to rabbit hunting. That's not to say if it was all I had I wouldn't use it. If I wanted to go lighter and smaller I'd look for an auto in 22 mag. Not a clue who makes one. I had my 32 ACP out with I think it was 80gr bullet's and fired it at an old dead log. The bullets bounced off and came back and hit me! Really surprised me.

jski

It sure would be nice if S&W reintroduced their Model 332. It was chambered in 32 H&R but still that makes an excellent carry gun. It’s more than a match for the 380.
Smith-and-Wesson-MODEL-332-AIRLITE-TITANIUM-32-HandR-MAGNUM-REVOLVER-NIB_101504638_113596_77F5C03CFF9BABC9.jpg

Last edited:

tulsamal

I have several Single Sixes in .32 H&R. I reload for them and really favor them for general woods walking guns.

I bought a four inch SP101 in .327. Really impressed once I did a bit of action smoothing. I bought a stainless Security Six for my 21st birthday in 1982… the four inch SP101 really reminds me of that revolver. Just a bit smaller. A gun that really can be reloaded “from mild to wild.”

My God I LOVE the .32s! They're just so damned polite when you pull the trigger.

I have 2 .32 autos (a CZ and a Beretta), I have 2 antique .32 S&Ws that belonged to two of my great grandfathers.

And I have a bunch of other .32 revolvers in .32 Long and .32-20.

rclark

My .32 H&R Magnum revolvers are my reloadable .22s. That was the whole reason I got into this cartridge when .22LR were scarce a few years back now. Works for me. Haven't shoot 'em much now though as plenty of 22 (at the moment). I favor my .44 Special Bulldog myself for CC though.

Last edited:

jski

2 Buffalo Bore 32 H&R loads:

HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P Ammo
100 gr. JHP @ (1,300 fps)

HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P OUTDOORSMAN
130 gr. Hard Cast Keith @ 1,125 fps

reteach

I carry a Ruger LCRX .327 Mag most of the time I carry. In that small, light gun the .327 Mag ammo is punishing. I load mine with .32 H&R Mag and feel just fine with that. When even that LCRX is too large, I substitute a Beretta 3032. And for fun at the range, I have a Ruger Single Seven birdshead in .327. One of the coolest things about the .327 guns is that they will accept .327, .32 H&R, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W, and even .32 ACP if you're careful. The .32 ACP functions better in the single action that it does in the double action. It's not as accurate for me in either gun, compared to the larger rounds. .32 S&W Long used to be cheap and easy to find and makes a fine target/plinking round.

Yes, I think .32s could make a comeback.

{{Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I carry the Single Seven as my personal defense weapon.}}

jski

Listening to one of the editors from RECOIL magazine about the most under appreciated cartridges. His number 1 under appreciated cartridge: 32 H&R Magnum

rodfac

My .32 H&R's (two Single sixes, Birdshead 4-5/8" & 5-1/2" plow handle, plus a Smith model 16 4"), are great trail and plinking guns, but not really CC pieces in my view due to their light bullet offerings. CC use with a revolver is more than amply covered by the numerous guns chambered in .38 Special and .357 Magnum factory tailored for that use. And while we're at it...keep the darned fiber optic front sights off good field guns...they just aren't up to the standards required beyond defense shooting distances.

Mine are superbly accurate, the Rugers as good as the Smith in that regard. But for my use, I'd rather have the Smith (a K frame) without the full lugged barrel, just to lighten the weight on my belt. Ideally, I think the K frame is too large for the caliber. The smaller Ruger Single Sixes are much easier in that regard and great fun plinking in our KY meadows.

Both brands are great cast bullet guns...I size mine to 0.313" (the RCBS 98 gr LSWC) with muzzle velocities up t o 1150 fps, and still get outstanding accuracy with zero leading issues. With jacketed bullets, I particularly like Hornady's XTP 85 gr JHP's. They're every bit as accurate as the heavier 100 grainers and give better expansion with their increased muzzle velocity.

Given my druthers, I'd love to see S&W re-introduce the excellent model 631 with 3" or 4" barrels. With decent target styled stocks fitted, they'd be my ultimate "kit" gun. And also Ruger tool up for the SS version of their Single Six with a 4-5/8" bbl. Both guns would be a joy to tote in the field.

YMMv Rod

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

All else being equal, such as cost or availability...

Versus .380 or standard-pressure .38 special, I'll choose .32 H&R Magnum any day of the week. Against .38+p, I'd still probably choose .32 H&R Magnum for the extra round.

For EDC, I love .327 Federal with 85-grain loads. It is quite capable. It is more impressive than 9mm against jugs, cans, fruit, phone books, etc. Recoil is on par with .38+p. Having a six-shooter in a pocket holster is nice.

For larger guns or the Henry Rifle, .327 might not stand out as much versus some other choices. It's still a lot of fun and quite capable for most anything where it would be worth considering.

Armybrat

Both my .327 Rugers are pretty darn nice...

Attachments

• CE0C8A88-8886-42A8-85E8-11438E2BA4A6.jpeg
    CE0C8A88-8886-42A8-85E8-11438E2BA4A6.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 45

ViperR

I am a big .32 fan, as well.
I have two revolvers. One 327 and an old Roaring 20's era Colt PPS in 32 CNP (32 S&W Long). I's my reloadable .22 as others have stated. With all my components and saved brass, I load a box or 50 for around $6 a box.
I reload for Longs, H&R and Fed's. Fed's are punishing out of the 327 marked revolver, so I load H&R +P specs in 327 brass and I get great results without wear and tear out of that gun.
My loads I use BadMan Bullets 100gr hard cast polymer coated instead of their non-poly waxed ones in my Longs and H&R brass. No leading, no wax smoke and very little chamber/bore cleaning. Fast powders like HP-38 (231) and Unique. I also load Hornady 85gr FMJHP's too. Those also work nice.
Just fun guns to shoot.
I did have a Ruger Single Seven BirdsHead in 327, but sold that. I was very nice, but I traded it for an even nicer lever .22 for a relative as a gift.
I'm sold on 32's. Just fun all the way around. Practical having 5 ammo choices (yes, 32 ACP works).

All else being equal, such as cost or availability...

Versus .380 or standard-pressure .38 special, I'll choose .32 H&R Magnum any day of the week. Against .38+p, I'd still probably choose .32 H&R Magnum for the extra round.

For EDC, I love .327 Federal with 85-grain loads. It is quite capable. It is more impressive than 9mm against jugs, cans, fruit, phone books, etc. Recoil is on par with .38+p. Having a six-shooter in a pocket holster is nice.

For larger guns or the Henry Rifle, .327 might not stand out as much versus some other choices. It's still a lot of fun and quite capable for most anything where it would be worth considering.
That is the point. All things are not equal in cost and availability. At present, I would say fine get the 32HR but get another gun to train and practice with. I have shot the LCR9m regularly since it fist came out. In fact I jumped on it and never looked back. And ammo cost were just one of the great features of the gun. In 327 not interested any more than I am shooting 357. Unpleasant and excessive loud noise, muzzle flash and recoil. And I am not recoil sensitive. And I like the ballistics of the 9mm Snubbie which is simila, close if not better to the Micro 9mm's.
I have considered the 32 HR Pre Riot days, and find it good round for a snubbie. But not now. Not when Riots and domestic terrorism continues and ammo so hard and expensive to find. When I purchase a gun, I want to shoot it often and a lot of ammo down range. Or at least have a compatible gun what will allow me to do this. And the transition from one to the other is not difficult.
For example, I shoot the LCR9mm but carry the Smith 642 due to the light weight. I also have a LCR22 which is also a tool to aid and improve my shooting skills. (not to mention the most most fun I have ever had with a 22.cal handgun).

So yes, I am or will be interested in the 32 HR mag. But not now of course.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/BDSBruce/Blog Photos 4/VelocityTestingResults_zps5a64c242.jpg

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/ruger-lcr-9mm-review-pocket-9mm-for.html

I also like the ARX plus p for carry

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2016/05/ruger-arx-9mm-p-ammunition-test-and.html

Last edited: