Rebarrel rifle to?

Scorch

IMO, you'll have a hard time beating a 308. 308 is a good all-around performer, it'll handle anything from elk to prairie dogs. I prefer 7mm, but you said no 7mm/,284" bulets. 6.5mm just don't do it for me. Call me old school, I prefer heavier bullets. Years ago I had a 6.5-06. It shot as flat as a string but just didn't give me the warm fuzzies, I've always been a 7mm guy. And before somebody starts in with blah blah high BC, blah blah more energy at 1200 yds, etc, you can get high BC 7mm and 30 caliber bullets too. And the great majority of shooters have no business shooting animals way out there where the BC makes a difference. So IMO, go with a 308.

hooligan1

It may just be that, the action needs trued, and it would be prudent to have that work done with addition to better barrel..

GeauxTide

A 260 Rem will let you use your 308 brass. I confess, I have a Grendel, 260, Creed, and 6.5-06. I have a couple of 308s, too. As I move to 75 in 3 months, recoil is an issue with a twice repaired spine. The 260 is a peach with 140s at 2700 in 22".

taylorce1

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep it a .308 Win. Now I just need to figure out what barrel I want to use. Kind of leaning towards Bartline, Krieger, or Proof in stainless steel. I might just use Pac-Nor since I can just mail them my barreled action and call it a day.

101combatvet

I'd stay with .308 because the bullet selection is vast. I'd barrel it with a custom barrel and tighten up that group. Maybe, a Hart.

USAF Ret

A 260 Rem will let you use your 308 brass. I confess, I have a Grendel, 260, Creed, and 6.5-06. I have a couple of 308s, too. As I move to 75 in 3 months, recoil is an issue with a twice repaired spine. The 260 is a peach with 140s at 2700 in 22".
Now you tell me - 260 Rem. Haha.

Scorch

Look at the 308 Bellm cartridge
???
Why? A 30 cal necked down 444 Marlin will match the 308 within the range of safe pressures. Why bother? And he'd have to use a long action and convert it to use semi-rimmed cases. Or a I missing something?