Reaming Carbide Sizer Die?

jaguarxk120

You can also find a steel resizing die and hand lap it to the diameter you want.

I have found that the older dies do not reduce case diameters as much as the modern ones.

black mamba

Thanks for all the responses. My 25-5 is in 45 Colt, not the ACP version, and was made in 1980. In 1983 they went to the modern, smaller chamber dimensions. I will give S&W a call about a new cylinder, and if that doesn't happen, then try Lee to see about a custom sizing die.

dahermit

The "carbide die" actually has a carbide sleeve crimped into place...
The "carbide die(s)" I have seen over the years had a carbide ring brazed into place, or in the case of Lee Factory Crimp Dies, a carbide ring that appears to be a friction fit inasmuch as I have knocked the rings out of the die with a punch. If there are dies with carbide rings that are held in by crimping, I have never seen one, but then I have only used RCBS, Lee, and one Herter's die with carbide rings.

black mamba

Good question, Chainsaw. Can someone with Casull carbide dies measure a resized case with a micrometer and give the measurements?
I'm afraid that if anything, they would be even tighter than the Colt dies.

langenc

Call RCBS and explain. They will probably say send in a few shot and a few sized cases along w/ the die and they will probably adj or replace..