really.. a mountain lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

2amencw

My hunting partners recently spotted a mountain lion on a property that we do deer damage control on. They could not get a shot. They are not native in our state. Div of Wildlife advised that they have been released from private owners. Any suggestions on how we can bait this thing in a kill it. I know typically dogs are used to track and tree them out west but that isnt practical for our situation. I need to track this cat down and remove it asap.

2amencw

lion info

There are numerous reports in our area of sightings. SE ohio. Cant say much else. Found one temporary den where it spent some nap time. Close proximity to public park and horse trails. There are some serious safety concerns with a human raised mountain lion in the area. Would a fresh deer carcass likely draw one in. What about distress calls?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I would reckon a carcass would help and the electronic calls I mention would be loaded up with various distress calls... If you prefer mouth calls and do well with it, go for it.

Brent

Shell

numerous sightings??

Your post is the only report of a sighting in our current area of se ohio I've heard of. They are native to the area, but extirpated, meaning extinct to the area. I have heard of bobcat sightings, one local, but not cougar. Though I would and have prayed for them to return on their own.

jdscholer

I have in fact called one in with a dying rabbit call. I'm the only person I know who has, and it was kind of an accident that happened when coyote calling. And no, we didn't kill it.

I know there must be others, but it must be pretty rare or you would here more about it. jd

Shell

Where is "Jefferson State" ? What may have been rare in your area may be expansion to more suitable territory. It would seem only natural that as a species rebounds they would spread out and males take like 200 square mile or something territory each.

troy_mclure

originally from southern ohio, saw 3 in 1 year coon hunting in the Wayne natl forest(few years ago).

and my dad just saw one cross the road in front of him near jackson ohio.

jal5

The report I saw last summer was around Harrison Co. Ohio I believe near the state park lake area Salt Fork. Lots of wild places around there. ODNR claims it must have been a mistaken identity! Just like the bear we see around Jefferson Co. are mistaken Identity too.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
They're uncommon in south Georgia, so I'd not shoot one there. Here in SW Texas they're fairly common, so a tanned hide is a neat trophy--but I won't add to the one I already have.

Bait? A bunch of fish/meat leftovers from a meal or three. Maybe a rabbit carcass. And then as the final touch, a handful of bulk catnip from the grocery store.

Cougars are wide ranging. They might travel a couple of hundred miles over a period of a month or two, depending on food availability. They'll hunt an area of as much as a five-mile circle in a night.

Commonly, a female will take up residence in an area with plenty of food. She'll periodically be visited by Handsome Stranger, which results in more cougars. The problem is that when there are very, very few cougars, they don't find one another...

Buzzcook

A escaped or released pet cougar isn't going to do as much deer control as it will eating up domestic animals. It is also possible that it could be dangerous to humans.

I'd contact your DF&W to see what they think.

2amencw

cougar

I am all about letting nature take it's course but the Biologists and naturalists agree that these are not wild cats in the area. I am a certified naturalist and understand each animals place in the ecosystem but this one is now out of place.The idea of it being competition is definitely not an issue. The fact that a very large park that is used by hikers, Equestrians, school programs etc, seems to be its denning and hunting area is a huge concern. I know of several people that have released their captive cougars into the wild after they bit their owner. Their previous exposure to humans is a recipe for disaster. The area is also next to another park and residential area. As for the validity of the sightings, there have been approximately 10-15 in the Xenia area and around 100 near Cincy. I dont have an issue with coyotes or our returning Massasauga rattlesnakes but this is a different story. As a paramedic I have seen up close the damage that carnivores can do to people, I have even seen a beaver nearly amputate a person's arm...really. The entire park is perfect ambush territory for this apex predator.

2amencw

not native

Shell, I know that they were extirpated as a wild population. I am referring to the current sightings. These animals have been released according to ODNR.

wpcexpert

I don't know about calling in one with a mouth call. I've got a buddy that had a bobcat tag his jacket from around a tree while turkey hunting. And I've had 2 come in on me while calling turkeys. One started stalking my decoys. I'd be leery of a big cat like that getting that close, looking for me. If the electronic call was a bit from me, that would work.

But I'd rather have a vantage point. The left over deer carcase could work. If you could keep it fresh enough.

FrankenMauser

I am all about letting nature take it's course but the Biologists and naturalists agree that these are not wild cats in the area. I know of several people that have released their captive cougars into the wild after they bit their owner.

Unless they fall outside the "X generations from wild"... shouldn't the animals have been registered?

Around here, releasing an "exotic", non-endemic species carries some serious fines and jail time (up to $10,000 per animal/plant for 'minor violations', and I believe $25,000+ for certain species). Even releasing some captive-bred, endemic species carries similar (or the same) penalties.
(Certain invasive species carry fines of up to $10k per plant/animal, just for possession. Transportation adds even more penalties. Releasing the 'invasive' species... you might as well have murdered some one. You'll never get out of jail.)

If these really are released 'pets', the state needs to do something about them.
Either trap/kill the animals, and hold the owners responsible for the violations (and cost of the trapping/killing), or put the laws on the books, so future occurrences are less frequent and easier to track.
I'm sure Ohio has licensing regs for the animals.

Git yer gun! Weel fix em good!

It's just fun to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.