Range Reports III (or IV ??)

I was supposed to go to our monthly blackpowder affair today, but Mother's day took precedence. I do intend to shoot one day this week though.

I pick up my Mini-14 Ranch on Tuesday so I gotta shoot that one. Probably run some .22's through the Ruger MKII Target and end up with some .357's in the M19. Yep, Tuesday it is.

boing

The damned Wal-marts around here still haven't gotten any 100-round Value-Packs! of Federal trapshot. So I dug out my last handful of 3-inch 000 buck. Finally got that dead tree to fall down, but the Choate folding stock doesn't have a recoil pad. Ouch!

-boing

JHS

Well, Sat.afternoon Wife,3 kids and myself went to the range. We shot 308 sporterised rifle,mini 14,2 10/22s and a G22&G35.
Buck does most of the reloading,so it was time to do some testing,he is 16yrs old and does a very fine job.
The scope on the 308 is not right. I am going to get a vice to hold it and sigh it in,or do something. It's my oldest sons rifle,I think he got a bad deal.
The mini-14 does a good job,I like it,so do my kids.
After all the longgun ammo was shot,I took my wife and the glocks and did about 50 rounds each at 7yds.She was using the G22 and doing ok. She does not get to shoot that much(this is going to change)but she would pass a ccw test.
I mostly did the point shooting drill or some version of it.Nine out of ten hit the black circle.
Have fun and stay safe.
John

Mike in VA

I just picked up a S&W model 60 with a 2 1/8" barrel, my first wheel gun. I put 100 rnds of .38 125 gr PMC target stuff, then some .38 +P and 110 & 125 gr .357. It's a neat little gun. The .38 stuff is easy shooting, though the +P is a litte snappier than the PMC, as one would expect. I was surprised that the 110 gr magnum wasn't bad (though loud and with a big muzzle flash), but the 125 gr. magnums are not at all pleasant to shoot (louder still, very impressive muzzle flash) in a light (21 oz.) gun with a short barrel, and my accuratcy went to hell. I went thru about half a box for familiarization, but think I'll stick with the 110's or +P's in the house. The accuracy is fine, esp. in SA mode, though the fixed sights are underwhelming (the back of the front sight will soon get a dab of bright white or yellow paint). I did a bunch of DA point shoot close range drills and had no truble putting 48/50 in the circle. I found the DA trigger to be a bit heavy at first, but was feeling better by the end of session, so I figure it will break-in nicely. My education continues.
M2

OBIWAN

I just got back from a DTI basic course.
The ultimate way to spend a weekend. I took my Sig 239 in .357 Sig. Sure does knock down steel good when I do my part.

Heartily recommend the class for anyone contemplating concealed carry. I qualified, but it took me quite a few tries.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Went to a range for the first time Saturday. I normally shoot on friends' farms, outdoors, but I'm at college and there's noplace to go, plus the college won't let me keep a firearm. I mentioned wanting to take my girlfriend shooting on these forums and a forumite responded with an offer to come to his range and shoot his (wife's :) ) toys at their range.

We showed up and this guy had a little of everything, he let us play with it all, taught my girlfriend every safety rule in the book in about 5-10 minutes and taught both of us some new stuff about better shooting.

We got to put about 150 rounds through a scoped 10/22 and 150 rounds through a Browning Buckmark (I think) plus we each put at least 8 through the guy's Super Blackhawk .44 (we were shooting specials.) PLUS we got to use the range, play with knives as well, swap stories and have a generally great time. We just kept shooting, close to 3 hours, then went for pizza. For the cost of a pizza and a brick of .22 I got 2 new friends, all kinds of new experience, and found a range I didn't know existed, plus my girlfriend can't stop talking about what a great shot she is (she's right.) No more wondering if we should have guns--now she wants to know how many and where we'll shoot 'em.

I don't want to name the guy unless he gives me the OK, since I just named off several valuable guns he owns and my location is in my profile, but he'll probably read this. You know who you are and what you did for me. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart and I'll definitely see you in the fall--next time maybe we can play with some of my toys.