• Browning Buckmark with Federal Bulk Pack

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Springfield XD45 Compact with Federal Hydra-Shok

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • New Tool

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters

Catfishman

Have a heart traps work like a charm. But don't pick up the trap by the little bitty handle on top with a live coon inside.

Here in Mississippi there is a Coon Black Market. People trap and sell coons. Just remember if you skin it before you sell it, leave one foot attached. Noboby will buy it otherwise, for fear it is a housecat.

Mike U.

Having killed a 'coon with an aluminum bat, inside my last house, i don't really recommend it. I was not injured & it wasn't horribly messy, but my cats haven't looked at me the same since then (they watched).

LMAO!!:D:D:D

I'm with the .22 head shot crowd.
Use a deep hollow point like those found on Winchester 333, 555 or their Xpert rounds. Or, I suppose you could use the Fed. bulk pack, if need be.
Shouldn't be too messy on a 'coon.:)
Good luck!

Michael Anthony

Friday I shot a raccoon six times with 165 grain .40 caliber jacketed hollowpoints at about 3 yards. Shots 1, 5 and 6 were to the head. On shot 5 he was "neutralized" but still breathing hard so I delivered the 6th to the head trying to end his misery. Shots 2-4 were aimed center mass because he was fidgeting but holding his ground. It is believed he was rabid.

With each shot he just postured up higher and would spin and then stand still. I was reminded of the end of Scarface.

Is this normal or was this just an exceptionally tough animal? I know I didn't miss shots 1, 5 or 6 but it is possible I missed on 2-4.

XD Gunner

Even though the 'coon hunters around here claim that there are no raccoons left, we trapped (and killed) 44 last summer, and 41 the summer before that, along with various opossums, stray cats, and small weasel shaped rodents (maybe the neighbor's ferrets, not sure)

They were getting into our dog food and horse nutrition supplies. You can't solve the problem by killing them, you have to seal up what they are trying to get.

joeseabee

Have-a-hart

I use the have a hart traps. Works great for ground hogs and coons (and cats, but that's not the intent here). The coons in SE Ohio must be extra mean, because every one I've caught in the trap got shot with a .22LR or .17HMR right through the mouth while they were biting the end of the barrel. Here's how I do it:

Bait trap with something sweet (Pancakes worked really well)
Catch coon on first night
Take out to disposal area
Put gun barrel through cage wall
Pull trigger as the coon bites the end of the gun
Dump coon
Reset trap and repaet

I also use a conibear trap, but it's kind of hard to let your cats out of them :)

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I also use a conibear trap, but it's kind of hard to let your cats out of them
Free roaming cats? I would rather have a native specie like the coons around than them invasive cats from africa.
Brent