R*p brass

F. Guffey

If it was not for R-P brass I would be in serious trouble loading 30./06 cases with .260” thick case heads, for thin case heads there is no shortage because I have LC, SL, DM, DN, U, and TW cases etc., etc..

Same for Federal primers, if not for Federal primers I would be desperately low on primers. I had the opportunity to purchase powder, primers, bullets and cases last week, I made a few calls to other reloaders in the area, I managed to connect them with 3 pounds, my thinking we could have done better if we were volume buyers. I did purchase some Remington and Winchester primers $20.00 per thousand, now my source is back to being out again. Then there is that problem with the small primer boxes, not easy to stack them with the Federal Red and or white boxes.

R-P brass: 44 Remington Magnum, 44 Special, 45 ACP, 38 Special and 357 Magnum, I do not hesitate to load when I have an option, one option, I have Star-Line brass with ‘TEXAS’ head stamps, all nickeled cases, nice looking brass, problem, when shooting in one of the 45 ACPs there is someone there to pick up the cases when ejected. The Model 29 does not scatter brass that bad.

Then there are the cases that look like they swallowed a bullet after seating, meaning loose does not describe my R-P brass when seating bullets, to look good at the rang there are times I have to do something to remove the ‘swallowed a bullet’ appearance of the caser.

F. Guffey

…and Mr. Guffey has reminded me to add the note that I've never seen any of the thin mouth problems with R-P rifle brass. I've reloaded and shot a lot of it in both .30-06 and .308 with good case life and no problems at all. I even favor them for .30-06 because their capacity is such a close match to the Lake City I already have in quantity.

Arkmaker

"Would you mind sharing what brand of sizing die you have"

I am using a Lee carbide 4-die set. Like I said, I goofed. Once properly resized, everything went smoothly.

Glad to know that. I was trying to recall if any R-P .357 brass I had ever caused a problem with my old Lyman dies, and I don't believe so. It was the .45 Auto for me.

hunter52

I use Hornady New Dimension dies for most all of my pistol reloading, ,no problems with loose bullets , long as I don't get the expander set too deep.