quiet 22LR ammo

B.L.E.

CCI 40 grain Quiet-22 Long Rifle won't cycle my S&W model 41 target pistol. Also, in pistol length barrels, it looses a lot of its quietness.
I can shoot the ammo in my semi auto pistol but it becomes a manually operated repeater.
The ammo feeds okay from the magazine, I just have to manually pull the slide back after every shot.

Danny Creasy

SK Subsonic HPs, Eley Subsonic HPs, or Aguila Subsonic all fired from a CZ 452 UltraLux:

CZUltraLux-1.jpg

The 28.5" barrel really tends to bring the report way down, and you will still get good groups, enough power, and a usable trajectory up to 50 yards (or longer distances if you go out and practice at those ranges). Of course, you can scope it if you prefer, but I love the tangent sights.

Last edited:

Deja vu

I shoot all my 22s with a suppressor. Any thing subsonic is quiet. I like Eley Subsonic HP.

With out a suppressor Cobri rounds are the quietest but the accuracy lacks at least in my guns.

Have a Rem mod 582 dedicated to CCI CB (lr) caps. Old bushnell 2-1/2 power P/Cross hair is its mounted glass. 50-ft shot (is) my 582's Max distance with spot on accuracy. At the time of this rifles targeting. Unusual how I could plainly see the bullet and its arch in my scope on its way down range. Although quiet and less powerful than other traditional 22 ammo. I wouldn't advise using the cartridge in-town or having close by next door neighbors. Neighbors, kids, pets and surely some others personal property will suffer with such behavior over time.

22-rimfire

You need to do some paper punching with various 22 ammo with your rifle to determine what seems to work best. yes, even the quiet or subsonic stuff. Generally speaking, shorts will shoot some of the worst groups. But precision/accuracy is relative to the distances you might be typically shooting. At 25 yds, most 22LR shoots pretty well from a practical point of view. What seems accurate at 25 yds may not look so good on paper at 100 yds.

If it is really important to you (quiet shooting), I would suggest that you consider a long barreled 22 rifle and better yet, get a suppressor for it. The CZ mentioned earlier comes to mind.

Standard velocity 22 rounds will generally cycle semi-auto actions. Subsonic will be less predictable and generally won't.

Geezerbiker

My Savage 87's ( I have 2 of them) have a bolt locking feature for use with ammo that has too little power to cycle the action so you won't get stove pipe jams... These are also very accurate rifles for what I paid for them.

I've been using CCI CB longs and they're very quiet and accurate with these rifles...

Tony

Clark

If you weigh the amount of powder in the 22 cartridge, there will be an amount you cannot exceed for a barrel length, and stay BB gun quiet.

To get more power out of an amount of powder, the powder charge volume should be minimized. This is why shorts work better.

Jumping a long way to the lands is hard on accuracy.

I have a double length 22, special low volume 45/70 cases, a double length 50 wildcat, and a quad triple length 12 ga, all in low noise without suppressor experiments.

I have come to the conclusion after 20 years of experiments that the most practical thing to do is CCI CB Shorts [0.45 gr powder] in a 24" barrel rifle, and go for the brain shots.

attachment.php

attachment.php

pics above same as links below

Attachments

• Squire Bingham Kmart rifle, 22 liner, a piece of Mosin Nagant barrel with a piece of surveyers t.jpg
    Squire Bingham Kmart rifle, 22 liner, a piece of Mosin Nagant barrel with a piece of surveyers t.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 34
  • inserts 45 70 9-3-2012.jpg
    inserts 45 70 9-3-2012.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 228