Quick question about spotting scope

ms6852

What's a reasonably priced spotting scope for "seeing" .22- & .30-cal holes at 300-yds - without having to use Shoot-n-See targets as spotting aids?

The one I have now, an old Redfield purchased in the late '80s, is only 'okay' to about 200-yds if the lighting conditions are just right. But I often shoot to 300-yds and further (M1 service rifle), so I'm looking to upgrade.
Atmospheric conditions is your worst enemy. In hot conditions even the greatest of the scopes will magnify haze and mirage allowing you to see bullet holes at 300 yards on an intermittent basis.

I have a Nikon Fieldscope 25x75x82 considered one of the top tier scopes and when temperatures reach above 90° I am not able to see a bullet at 300 yards. When temperatures are in the 70's and lower on a bright crisp sunny day I can see the bullet holes without the shoot NC targets.

Here is a link for an old article but with great information on spotting scopes and what is required for targets and seeing bullet holes at various distances. Even though the article is old and there are newer scopes the information still applies now.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how-to-choose-a-spotting-scope-for-target-shooting.html

A spotting scope is just like a rifle scope... you get what you pay for. You want ultra magnification to see holes at 50-300 yards but only want to spend $100, then the clarity will be crap because the glass is crap, coatings are crap, etc.

I learned over many years of buying cheap then upgrading to a little more expensive then upgrading again etc. just save the money for the good stuff the first time.

Buy once, cry once.

Now, I’m not saying I use the best of the best, because I don’t. I don’t have a $10,000 Hensoldt rifle scope or even a $5,000 one. Mine came in a little under $1000 but it was made specifically for what I use it for so it’s perfect for doing that.

You might, might, get by at 50-100 yards with a Simmons, but I would look to spend at least a couple hundred $ or more for spotting shots at 300 yards and further.