Questions/Opinions on 4350 powders

there is also an online company selling 'sample' packs of bullets including Hornady, Nosler, Berger and a couple others. can't recall the name but I saw it on 'PerfectUnion' site.

hodaka

I have found AA4350 and IMR 4350 to be pretty much the same as far as my loads are concerned. My favorite for my 6.5-06 and 25-06, although H4831 ain't bad.

FatWhiteMan

"I cannot scientifically prove this yet, but I am of the notion that the H4350 is not as temperature sensitive as the IMR. Overall, I like the 4350 powder because I can get the performance without the sharp recoil I was getting with some of the other powders previously."

Hodgdon does make that claim on their website:

Extreme Velocity Spread
For Temperatures Between
0o - 125o
3006graph.gif

Cartridge: 30-06
Case: W-W
Primer: WLR
165 gr. Hornady SP

W. C. Quantrill

I dont know if I were laying in a snow bank at 0* whether I would notice a 67fps drop in performance or not, but it is nice to know that for once, my suspicions were correct:D.

kojak

It is not true that the 4350s are more accurate than other powders that don't fill the case. It's a classic misconception because of not telling the full story.

Here's what I found out:
I own a .30-06 Tikka and load 150 and 165 grain bullets. My 165 grain load is a full case of AA4350 (57gr or so, slightly below max, too lazy to look in my papers) behind a Hornady Interbond. That load shoots 1 MOA.

my other load is 50 grs. of VV-N140 behind a 150gr Sierra Pro-Hunter. This load shoots .25 MOA despite having much empty space in the case.

All else being equal it is better, more accurate to have a full case. In practice often other things matter more. N140 is significantly more offensive than 4350, so it's obviously far more accurate because there is much less turbulence when the bullet leaves the barrel. The more progressive the powder the more likely the powder is still burning when the bullet leaves the barrel which causes turbulence at this critical moment.

Vihtavuori claims that N140 is the best powder even for 168 grain bullets which is probably true, N150 (their 4350 variant) is only mroe accurate from 180gr onwards.

Despite that findings I still like AA4350 better. Yes, N140 behind the Sierra is far more accurate. But this is a hunting rifle, if I wanted accuracy I'd use Matchkings.. As it happens hunting bullets are far more inaccurate, most of the time even more inaccurate the more expensive. That is because complicated bullet design causes inaccuracy. The Hornady Interbond is a fine unting bullet, bonded, thick jacked. But there is no way this bullet can ever be as accurate as the Sierra with it's ultra-perfect consistent thin jacket. And there's no way the Sierra can ever perform as well on game at all velocity ranges as the Interbond.

In the end we musn't forget that we load for a hunting rifle, it's a tool. If we sacrifice performance on that goal for accuracy gain we are making a mistake. It would be accuracy with no purpose.

Accuracy means for me I choose the components best suited for my hunting goals and then try to optimize accuracy with these components. A good hunting load with 1 MOA accuracy is far better than .25 MOA with a compromised load especially considering 1 MOA is more than I'm capable of shooting when under stress.

crowbeaner

I looked at the burn rate chart in the Lyman 4th edition SS manual, and the burning rates are: AA4350 fastest, then IMR4350, and then H4350. FWIW.

.45 Vet

I also have used IMR4350 under the Sierra 165gr Gameking for many years in my .06 bolt gun. Two years ago I switched to H4350, it takes a grain or two more for the desired results(velocity), but it meters so much better through my Uniflow that I'm convinced the consistency has improved the acuracy. And yes I weigh every charge for rifle re-loads.