Question(s) about "Stainless" Steel...

mikey357

Well, this came up in an interesting way...to make a long story short, a friend of my Wife's(!) INSISTS that SOME "stainless steel" is NON-MAGNETIC...being one who struggled thru High School Chemistry, and THINKING that I remember that ALL steels are ferrous--having SOME iron content--I said "NO WAY!!!"--and a few other choice words, too, BTW...but the lady INSISTS, so...anyone else heard this or had experience with it??? Thanks in advance....mikey357

DAVID NANCARROW

Sure would like to hear her explain this, at least metallurically. Stainless steel is generally nothing more than an alloyed ferrous metal with a few percentage points more chrome, sometimes combined with other alloying elements IIRC.

DAVID NANCARROW

Well, there ya go Dave-learn something new every visit. Love this place!
Question for you, 45 rookie-I can't tell exactly what they use instead of ferrous metals from your link. Is this some kind of proprietary alloy?

Eric Larsen

Well...she is correct.
Most S Steels used today for damn near everything arent magnetic. Very rare and expensive S Steels can be more magnetic than other S Steels but are rarely as magnetic as ferrous base metals

304,304L,316,316L=300 series, the most common by far, isnt magnetic. L" means lower carbon content as compared to standard stainless of the same numeric designation.

400 series Stainless is magnetic......

Shoot well.....

mikey357

Okay, I can deal with her being correct--REALLY! Now, I'm curious WHY some "Stainless" is NON-MAGNETIC...and SOME IS "Magnetic"...any explanations out there???....mikey357

Handy

You guys need to get out some guns, knives and magnets!

You will find that the strong but soft stainless used in gun parts is magnetic. There's alot of iron in it.

Surgical steel, like in a Swiss Army knife, has a very high chrome content, is quite shiny and brittle and won't stick to a magnet.

I couldn't tell you whether the chrome and other metals disrupt the ability of the iron atoms to align, or if there just isn't enough iron to feel anything, but that's all there is to it.

As a side note, the less magnetic the alloy, the more corrosion resistant it is. That's why guns rust, knives often don't.

coonan357

most stainless steel alloys contain nickel which is non- magnetic, or chromium which is also non magnetic , you have to look at the alloying of the metal in number form in order to figure out what is what, the SAE-AISI code will tell you whats in the alloy ,Austenitic stainless is less magnetic in a softer state the codes will be either a 300 type or 400 type , the book to find the info is "practical metallurgy "by John E. Neely , its avalible in most college book stores that have an industrial ed program . about 35.00I have a copy for when I went to school

Eric Larsen

I think we have all been suckered into the "Xerox" phenomina....

Stainless steel is a general term used to describe an alloy designed to Rust or stain at a slower rate than Higher carbon content based metals. That is all is has to be to be considered Stainless. Its an alloy, a mixture of 2 or more compounds/metals to achieve superior performance regarding a specific task/characteristic......better chemical resistance, FDA approved use, higher temp resistance, oxidizes at a slower rate, higher strength to weight ratio.....etc etc.

Magnetizm isnt based on carbon/iron/ferrous metals. Any ferromagnetic material, of which there are many, will react to a magnetic field.

Stainless can be a blend of many many ingrediants. Some of which, given there content and accompanying strenth, can be magnetic.

Shoot well

Watchman

"304,304L,316,316L=300 series, the most common by far, isnt magnetic. L" means lower carbon content as compared to standard stainless of the same numeric designation. "

Actually, the" L" designation means it has the addition of a small percentage of lead to make it machine better.

For instance, 304 L is easier to machine than 304 because the addition of lead makes it break a chip easier.

Same with 303and 303L . I'd much rather machine any stainless with the L in it.

The 300 series is the most corrosion resistant of the stainless. Other than "work" hardening, it is not heat treatable.

The 400 series is heat treatable and it will rust. 440 is commonly used on knives. Gun barrels are made from 410,415 ,420,425.

I have used 500 series of stainless in the production of special tools. This stuff will rust on the surface about like carbon steel , but it is mostly a surface rust and it wont degrade like carbon will over a period of time.

Remington Shotgun chokes are made of 17-7 Stainless steel and they will rust. They are very tough and they are heat treated. I've known 2 of them to crack.

The 300 series are used alot for forming and bending. The 400 series wont do this.Most cookware and eating utensils are 300 series. Stainless tools of any worth are usually 400 series. The few parts on guns that are stainless are 400 series and are usually heat treated.

bountyh

INTERESTING... the knowledge given to me way back in Engineering school was that true "stainless" was NOT magnetic and did NOT rust. Period. Because the blend of metals made the valence shell of electrons of the alloy full so there was no room to react (oxidize). So, I was taught like the lady mentioned above.

That said, I was ripped for posting more that opinion and corrected that stainless is magnetic and does rust (though less than carbon steel). A machinist friend told me that "stainless" steels have formulas with assigned numbers that are registered (like "440 stainless") and that the term "stainless" as used today does not identify a specific formula or characteristic.... it also doen't mean the stuff won't rust because most guns will.

Gun stainless is alloyed for increased hardness and the price is it rusts more easily. Gun makers also vary the alloy between frame and slide to reduce galling. Most gun stainless is magnetic to some degree. I think the confusion is because the term "stainless" has been expanded to where it's pretty vague.

7th Fleet

I own many stainless handguns and rifles and a beauitful Victorinox Swiss Army Knife and they're all attracted to a maganet.

Go figure...

7th

coonan357

the term stainless is more like stain" resistant" than "proof" as most people think or expect , and the oxidation"rust" is caused by the carbon content in the Iron , thats why when we weld a pipe in a nuke plant we have to actually use rod and fillers made from the same lot of steel , so the weld won't corrode . if you have someone weld together an exaust system on a car have them use a low carbon rod or wire that way it will last forever.

bad_dad_brad

All stainless steel alloys contains a vast majority of iron. Iron is magnetic. All steel is magnetic - period - no exceptions. Both Iron and Nickel are magnetic elements. Go back to school if you do not understand metalurgy.

C.R.Sam

"All steel is magnetic".......wrong.
3XX stailness steels are non magnetic in the annealed condition.
Nitronic 50 is completely non magnetic in all conditions.
4XX stainless is magnetic
etc etc

Sam