Question Re: Suggested BP loads for .44 cal and 36 cal brass -framed replicas

bigminnow

Whew!...am I seeing the picture correctly? It looks like the cylinder made impression marks on the brass frame. Is that what I need to keep an eye on?

zullo74

Lee,

I don't get the point you are trying to make. A chain fire would be an overload and could cause damage to a brass frame gun, but I don't see how a damaged gun could cause a chain fire. :confused:

ZVP

Open gaps

As wear increases and tolerances open-up, fire can get inside many ways.
The jury is still out on wheather a chain fire occurs from the front or the nipples of a revolver but in any case, loose guns are dangerous!
A loose cylinder acn promote cap misfires cause thecaps aren't being hit right.
The plain solution is do not overload a Brasser!
If you have a loose one make it a wallhqanger. BP revolvers are cheap enough as to not endanger yourself or innocent bystanders! Buy yourself a new safe gun.
ZVP

zullo74

ZVP,

If the ball is sealed and the nipple is sealed, then a stretched frame that won't allow a cap to be fired is no danger at all. :rolleyes:

mykeal

fire can get inside many ways
I'm unable to visualize those many ways. Maybe you could provide a list.

So far, all i can come up with is through the nipple due to a loose cap or past the ball in the chamber due to a flaw in the ball or chamber. Are there other ways into a chamber that get loose with wear that I'm not aware of?

arcticap

Maybe ZVP means to say that excessive end shake may cause a loose fitting cap to fall off a nipple due to the "extra" battering of the cylinder from recoil.
In that one respect he may be right that the odds of a cap falling could be slightly increased without actually clearly stating it that way.
I've been squeezing #11 caps lately so that they fit the nipples better and I can't say that any possible associated increase in the risk bothers me. I don't think that it would increase the risk to bystanders since they wouldn't be in the line of fire if there were a chainfire.
But that's a risk that everyone needs to decide for themselves and is not only related to brassers or their amount of end shake.
While some may argue that using a squeezed cap would represent an increased risk, how well any cap fits any gun is not something that's easy for anyone to quantify.

Last edited: