Question on the position of the rifle scope AO adjustment

James R. Burke

Just myself I do not use a A.O. for hunting. Just seems like something you dont need to mess with for that. But lots of folks like them for hunting. I guess what ever works for you.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Apologies for belaboring the safety issue about binoculars: Some years back a guy with a scope-sighted 7mm Mag at some 400-ish yards shot a kid on a motorbike, and then shot his brother on another motorbike. The hunter claimed he thought he was shooting at elk.

Granted that such stupidity doesn't happen with any frequency. Regardless, just knowing that there is that occasional idiot running loose without a leash makes some of us sorta goosey.

Dallas Jack

Granted that such stupidity doesn't happen with any frequency. Regardless, just knowing that there is that occasional idiot running loose without a leash makes some of us sorta goosey.

Art, you hit the nail on the head. I knew a guy that fired into brush after seeing movement. He was proud of the fact he got two deer with one shot. Turned out though that it was two goats.

I've got a great hunting situation. Hunting on a buddy's land, from stands, over foodplots. Only he and I are hunting, no one else on the property. Well except his wife at the house up by the road. Also we keep in touch with two-way radios so we know what is happening. No one is allowed to walk around the property during deer season.

I can't get around so this is the only way I can hunt but even if I could I would not hunt public land.

This year I get a crack at this guy.
Dallas Jack

Attachments

• 10302009 295.jpg
    10302009 295.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 14

Selfdfenz

Art and Dallas Jack

We agree on the idiot factor. This state is blessed with considerable public land but I stopped hunting any of it back in the 1970's. Just too many people out there I saw doing things that gave me a scare.

Dallas Jack

That picture sure does bring back memories of hunting in TX. Sure do miss that place.

Take care and here's hoping you both have a great season.

S-

ZeroJunk

The decision when to use a scope vs binoculars is a good one to have. Just didn't apply to the OP question in my opinion.

I think everybody looks at everything in their own context. I probably have a hundred deer within shooting distance for every one that I shoot and out of those one hundred I probably only bother to raise the scope to look at maybe five of them. I consider shooting distance two hundred yards. It's not that I am a great hunter, but I do have a great private place to hunt and it's just the way it is.

If you are setting on the side of a hill somewhere trying to look at several hundred or thousand acres on public land, would love to kill any deer, and are very excited about being there then binoculars could certainly give you an extra step to go through before you made a mistake.

As far as the guy capable of making long shots on motorbike riders, I'm not sure that he didn't just go ballistic because they messed up his hunt?