Question on the position of the rifle scope AO adjustment

Selfdfenz

I’ve been trying to make up my mind on replacing the scope on one of my main hunting rifles. Up until this year the scope currently on this rifle has been 100% adequate for the never-more-than-75 to 100 yard shots where I typically hunt but it simply does not cut it now I’ve got access to a place where ranges are just about always going to be 200+ yards. Current choices are: Leupold VX III with AO on the bell vs. Leupold VX 3 or Zeiss Conquest with all 3 turret adjustments co-located together in the center position. All are 4.5-14X40-ish.
The Zeiss and VX 3 are about the same price but I can save a few $$ on the VX III with the AO out on the bell. Having the AO closer "seems" better but is this design structurally better or worse than the having it out on the bell?
General impressions on these three scopes also much appreciated in advance.

THX

Selfdfenz

j.chappell

None of my big game hunting rifles wear a scope with an AO. They are simply not needed and are one more thing to forget to adjust, not have time to adjust, or have on 300 yards when that quick 50 yarder comes along.

You'll find that you save even more when getting rid of the AO all together.

As far as an AO goes, the objective mounted style is more accurate than the turret mounted style but a turret mounted AO is much faster to use than an objective mounted AO.

J.

sc928porsche

My scopes are almost all AO. When I hunt, power setting is on low power and AO is set to clear focus. If I have a long shot....150yds or more...there is usually time to increase the power and to dial in the AO. At the firing range, time isnt a problem and being able to get an absolutely clear picture at different distances sure makes it easier. Good hunting with whatever you decide to go with.

bcarver

on bell

mine are on the bells.
mine are also illuminated reticles.
I set mine at where I think the deer will appear.
I never set it over 150 unless i see an animal.
if they are over 150 and you don't have time to adjust you probably ain't gonna ave time to shoot.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The greatest variation in range in killing Bambi for me has been from 30 yards out to 450 yards. Same scope throughout the years: Leupold Vari-X II 3x9x40, no AO. I've never noticed any need for AO.

For a Vari-X II 3x9x40 with AO on a .220 Swift, it seemed to be somewhat useful for prairie dogs in the 50- to 400-yard range. However, once set on maybe 150 yards, I didn't bother to reset it.

fisherman66

Parallax free is usually 150 yards for a rifle scope. That should carry you out to MPBR trouble free. If you are shooting small game at extended range an AO would probably be valuable, but for deer sized game it's impact in going to be negligible.

Only AO I've played with was on the objective. Worked fine, but I just set it at 100 yards where I expected to see game and left it alone.

ZeroJunk

The only thing I have seen an AO useful for on a hunting rifle is if you put a full size scope on a 22 rimfire so you can turn it down to 50 yards or so for squirrel hunting.

Never made a lot of sense to me to have those little dinky scopes on a 22 when early and late squirrel hunting is when you need more light gathering than most any other hunting.

Selfdfenz

"but for deer sized game it's impact in going to be negligible"

That's been the case for me till now but not so on the new place. We were hunting does but the problem is this place is loaded with spikes & button bucks and the owners is trying to give them a chance. So, no shooting till you know what it is. Does were AOK and that's what we were after.

It's was hard/impossible for me to tell if the critters had a little pair of antlers right next to it's ears at 200 yds and especially so in this place because they are in a shooting lane, not an open field, and they didn't stay visible long. Needless to say we spent the afternoon scoping 25-30 deer with the rifle and a pair Monarch binocs neither of which had the magnification or resolving power to differentiate ear from antler. I had my son with me, his vision is way better than mine, but he couldn't tell either. We likley let lots of shootable does go for fear of shooting a small buck.

Couple of times we had critters closer, say 150yds. They were all short spikes and I was sure glad I could tell but it spooked me taking the long shot.

Bottom line is I figure I need a scope with a little more magnification and better resolving power to help me make those assessments. I have AO scopes on a couple of rimfires and being able to fine tune the picture on small targets at distance is helpful, hence my question.

THX for the responses so far.

S-

fisherman66

Bottom line is I figure I need a scope with a little more magnification and better resolving power to help me make those assessments.

I think you might be better off with a good spotting scope. It makes me nervous when hunters glass with a scope. Plus, you'll suffer less fatigue with a spotter.

LHB1

I get nervous when hunters use rifle scopes to scan/identify targets. Don't like the idea of a loaded rifle being pointed/aimed at me or whatever potential target they are scoping. Better is a pair of binoculars or even a 20X spotting scope if you really want to be sure of the animal sex.

riggins_83

I prefer a spotting scope or binoculars too. Would rather not point my rife at a target to identify what it is. I've never had the need for AO either.. my Leupold VX-II has happily performed at every range I've ever needed.

Selfdfenz

I get nervous when hunters use rifle scopes to scan/identify targets

That gives me the willies too but

What I said was "we spent the afternoon scoping 25-30 deer." That means the scope on fur. Not the countryside, barns, trees.

Could have been more clear but the firearms was never used as a spotting scope.

THX

S-

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've found that even the el cheapo telescopes which range from 20 to 60 power work just fine in the 20X to 30X range. Blurry above 40X. I use one at my benchrest to see .22 holes at 100 yards.

If I thought the AO might make a difference in those circumstances, however, I might well go ahead and spend the $$$. One thing for sure, it won't wear out...

LHB1

Quote: "What I said was "we spent the afternoon scoping 25-30 deer." That means the scope on fur. Not the countryside, barns, trees. "

That is still scoping potential targets with the rifle scope which means the rifle is pointed/aimed at them. One of those "deer" might turn out to be a human some day. Such "accidents" seem to happen every hunting season. Count me out from any area where you are hunting. I don't want to be one of your potential targets scoped out with a loaded rifle pointed at me.

ZeroJunk

Such "accidents" seem to happen every hunting season. Count me out from any area where you are hunting.

If a man puts his scope on another hunter, decides he is a deer, takes the safety off , and pulls the trigger do you really think binoculars will help?

I very seldom use binoculars, don't think a deer looks at all like a man, don't need either to tell me what it is beforehand, but if it will keep other hunters away from me will gladly broadcast where I am going to be.

Selfdfenz

Art,

I have a fairly decent spotting scope that I use at the range. It's big and would be inconvenient to carry but I intend to give it a try at this place next time I go.

Years ago when I hunted by myself I carried all the stuff I needed in my pockets. Now that my son is in tow we ended up with two backbacks and what may be enough junk for three people. Come to think of it I'll make him carry it.

S-

LHB1

That is still scoping potential targets with the rifle scope which means the rifle is pointed/aimed at them. One of those "deer" might turn out to be a human some day. Such "accidents" seem to happen every hunting season. Count me out from any area where you are hunting. I don't want to be one of your potential targets scoped out with a loaded rifle pointed at me.

Good heavens man where did all that come from. I'm both safe and ethical when and where I hunt and leave it at that. Please go away.

S-

Dallas Jack

To answer the OP's original question I prefer the AO on the objective lense. I have both and the turrent mount AO is more sensitive to changes and is harder to get correct.

I have a simular situation as yours, MUST determine exactly what that deer is. I can only shoot doe's and maybe a cull buck. I use Weaver V24 6-24x42mm on all my bolt guns. No matter what I use to spot deer I use my rifle scope to make the desision to shoot or not.

On the other hand I shoot my rifles all year working up loads and just shooting targets. This type of scope is great for that. (only shoot a few rounds a year at deer)

As far as accidents go something had to go insanely wrong for a person to be mistaken for a game animal. And I am of the opinion that if they had been using binocs to spot they would have laid them down, picked up their gun and shot anyway.
Dallas Jack

Selfdfenz

Dallas Jack
Thank you for that information especially the comment on placement of the AO element. I hadn't given a thought to Weaver scopes but that looks like a possibility. If you don't mind me asking is that unit pretty clear at 200-250 yards at the higher power for a hunting type situation. What caliber of rifle or rifles are you using? That Weaver seems to come with either a varmint or mil-dot reticule. Which do you have?

I could not afford to scope the two rifles my son and I will be using at the new place if I decided to go with the Zeiss/high-end new model Leupold. I could set up both with Weavers. Like you, 99% of the shooting we do with these two particular rifles is at the range. The 3x9s we have on them now have always been OK for paper at 200 yards (or more). Actually those scopes have been fine over the years for all of my deer hunts but that changed with the new scenario.

Again, thanks for the information.
S-

Dallas Jack

I've had no problems with clarity, brightness, or tracking. I have tried many different scopes but I now have 5 Weavers and 1 Nikon Monarch. I prefer the Weavers. I have the Mil-Dot version. The V24 has worked great for me. Once I find a deer I intend to take ( sometimes looking at 15 to 20 deer in the same foodplot) I give it a last look at 24x and then turn it down to give the best FOV vs target.

I have three Weatherby Vanguards. A HB varmint special in .223, .243 and 25-06 synthectics. The last 2 are the $399 Vanguards and I don't think I could have gotten a better rifle for the price. Accurate, smooth bolt, and fits me like a glove. I did change all the triggers to Timney's as I didn't care for the standard triggers.

Good luck
Dallas Jack