Question on short-barrel .357's

ScottRiqui

Wondering how long .357 supersonic lasts out of the 5 inch bbl. Do you think we get 50 yards before it drops to sub sonic?

If you know the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, and the muzzle velocity, is that enough to at least calculate a rough estimate of how long it'll stay supersonic? I don't do any long-range shooting, but I've always assumed that's one of the pieces of information that ballistic calculators would give you.

newfrontier45

I use a very fast burning powder and magnum primers in my .357 snubbie loads.
The same powders will yield the highest velocities regardless of barrel length. That is, slow burning powders like H110/296 and Lil Gun.

Nick_C_S

That's the trick: fast burning powders. But no matter how you slice it, even a snubby .357 is going to out perform any .38Spl. They will out perform due to the sheer pressure increase. With snubbies, the trick is to develop that pressure quickly - i.e. fast burning powders.

My short barrel load is a Speer GDHP SB 135g (#4414), with 7.5g Unique (which is in compliance with Speer Manual #14). It's probably pushing a little over 1000fps with a 2.5" barrel. That's more punch than a .38 is going to deliver. This round has nightstand duty at my house; in a 686 w/ 4" barrel. I believe Speer makes this round as loaded "short barrel" ammunition. If you don't load, this would be the round I would recommend.

With a snubbie, going with a slower powder may - may - give you a few more fps, but it will come at the expense of a great deal more muzzle flash and noise. Just not worth it. Loading for short barrels requires an attitude of restraint; and understanding that the data in your manuals are almost always for longer barrels (Speer #14 has short barrel data - which is highly invaluable). You need to know which powders are faster than others, and "visualize" how those velocity figures will distort with less barrel length. With a short barrel, the velocity figures aren't going to reduce in a linear fashion. The faster powders will see less of a velocity penalty, and the slower ones more.

weldonjr2001

My Ruger LCR .357 - average of 5 shots

Speer 125 grain Gold Dot .357 magnum = 1210 fps - 409 ft/lbs ME
Speer 125 grain Gold Dot .38 Special +P = 869 fps - 211 ft/lbs ME

Remington Express 125 grain SJHP .357 magnum - 1245 fps - 432 ft/lbs ME
Remington UMC 125 grain SJHP .38 Special +P - 910 fps - 231 ft/lbs ME

Just slightly less than twice the muzzle energy for the .357 magnum over the .38 Special +p.

Is there a lot of flash and blast with the .357 magum in the < 2" barrel? - Heck yes

Does my hand hurt after 5 rounds of either of the .357 magnum loads above? - Heck yes

Do I carry the .357 magnum in the LCR - Heck yes

jmr40

It seems to me that much of the powder and energy of a .357 would simply be wasted in such a short barrel set-up. Am I way off base on this???

You are not off base. Any 357 with a barrel less than 4" is counterproductive. Yes it beats a 38, but it does it with tremendous muzzle flash and recoil. If producing lots of noise, light and recoil is your goal then they do a good job.

My Ruger LCR .357 - average of 5 shots

Speer 125 grain Gold Dot .357 magnum = 1210 fps - 409 ft/lbs ME
Speer 125 grain Gold Dot .38 Special +P = 869 fps - 211 ft/lbs ME

Remington Express 125 grain SJHP .357 magnum - 1245 fps - 432 ft/lbs ME
Remington UMC 125 grain SJHP .38 Special +P - 910 fps - 231 ft/lbs ME

Just slightly less than twice the muzzle energy for the .357 magnum over the .38 Special +p.

Is there a lot of flash and blast with the .357 magum in the < 2" barrel? - Heck yes

Does my hand hurt after 5 rounds of either of the .357 magnum loads above? - Heck yes

My G-26 is a smaller gun that weighs 2 oz more than the LCR, 1/2 lb less than the SP-101. It holds 10 rounds vs 5. The velocity numbers are almost exactly the same with 124 gr bullets. Around 1200-1250 fps.

Is there a lot of flash and blast?- Heck no.
Does my hand hurt after 5, 10, 20 even 30 rounds?-Heck no.
Does recoil make rapid, accurate repeat shots impossible?- Heck no.

I own, like and shoot 357 revolvers, but all with longer barrels to take advantage of the power. If you need something smaller than 4" there are much better choices.

Cesure

I personally don't worry about "waste" when it comes to self-defense. I also don't consider noise and more muzzle flash to be counter-productive when I'm behind it and the BG is facing it. If he feels outgunned, he'll be more likely to hesitate. Odds are, if I was ever faced with a SD shooting, I'd be so amped up on adrenalin I would not be shooting very straight and I would not be noticing any difference between the .38 Spl and .357 Mag. Hopefully, the BG would. But my bedroom gun has a 4" barrel. My snubby is a .327 Federal Mag. Six shots and it splits the difference between .38 Spl and .357 Mag with less recoil.