Question on reloading equipment . . .

bedbugbilly

I know this will probably be like a "which make/model of pistol do you like best" and I don't intend it to turn in to that . . . .

I am going to get in to reloading for the first time - primarily 38 spl. and then possibly .380 . . . . I have a question on equipment

I do business with a gun shop that I like and they are suggesting a CCI press - single stage to start with. I don't plan on doing a LOT of reloading - just a few hundred at a time. The salesman suggested a single stage press to begin with so I would have to "think" about what I was doing - i.e. change the dies for the different operations . . . and I agree . . . plus, for my needs, I don't really think I need a mulitiple stage press?

I am still trying to learn about the different powders - my experiece has been primarily with black powder - a whole different animal I know . . . he suggested starting with a powder (don't remember which one) that the correct measurement would fill the casing enough so that there would be no danger of "double charging" a cartridge . . . also a good idea I thought

He is suggesting CCI equipment - primarily because that is what they carry and that is what he uses . . . . the advantage for me of buying a reloading set-up from them is that I know that the guy will start me out right and get me in to reloading without overselling me stuff that I really don't need or will not use. In talking with him, he suggested a 3 carbide die set for reloading the 38 spls.

As I say, I know everyone has their own brand preferences . . is CCI a decent brand or should I be looking at another brand? Any problems with CCI . . presses, dies, etc.? It's probably a dumb question as obviiously they sell and a lot of folks use them . . I just don't want to get started out on the wrong foot and then find that there was a different brand that was better.

I should mention that I primarily plink and do target shooting. I'm not looking to make "magnum" loads - just reload for plinking and such. I've cast bullets for years so will probably get a mold for the 38 spl. - possibly in several different configurations - i.e. wadcutter and conical. At some point, I'll probably want to do .380s and possibly 9 mm as well - again - target loads.

Suggestions? Thanks! :eek:

Wag

Good advice starting with a single stage.

I'm not familiar with the CCI equipment. You'll get every brand preference known to man on here, of course!

Personally, I've only used RCBS and Lee and prefer the RCBS equipment a LOT more!

What I look for are metal components. Nylon or "plastic" components wear out far too quickly for all intents and purposes.

That said, the plastic components on the Lee powder drop started making a huge mess on my loading bench right away. The plastic components on my RCBS micrometer wore out fairly fast as well.

Price is not always the most important consideration. On the one hand, you want equipment that will last, but on the other, you don't want to have to replace things in short order.

Have fun!

--Wag--

l98ster

I have been reloading for quite some time, so I like to think that I am somewhat of an authority on the subject. However, your post made me think twice!!!

I dont want to sound unknowledgeable, but i have personally never even heard of CCI having reloading equipment. Primers? ABSOLUTELY! But actual equipment (single stage press) NEVER!

So it got me thinking, and I did a quick google search for this equipment, and low and behold, I found nothing! Not to say there is no such thing as CCI equipment, but it looks like google nor I have heard of such things.

Anyhow, 38 special is what I load the most. Have spent many years fine tuning loads for each of my revolvers. I think the biggest question right now is what is your budget for the equipment.

Lots of people are going to tell you to start with a single stage press. That might not be such a bad idea. However, Once you get the hang of the single stage press (which should take you about 1 reloading session), you are going to want more (aka higher volume).

I have used a bunch of presses in my time, and I can definitly recommend the Dillon 550b. It is on the expensive side, but you definitly get what you pay for.

Let us know your budget, and I think we can guide you better from there.

-George

AllenJ

I did not know that CCI made a reloading press and a bing search turned up no results. I'm wondering if they mean RCBS, which is owned by the same parent company as CCI I believe?

As for starting with a single stage press I think that is best, it'll teach the different stages of reloading and give you a better understanding of what to look for at the each stage. At some point though I think you'll want to graduate to a progressive press, so spending a bunch of money on a single stage press is not manditory. As for all the other reloading items such as scale, powder measure, calipers, etc. I would try and get quailty tools as these need to last.

I use RCBS reloading equipment because they are very well made and it does not hurt that I live where they are made. I have been using my Rock Chucker press for 35 years and it shows no signs of slowing down. The powder measure and scale are also still working perfectly. I have seen Hornady, Redding, and Pacific and all are also well made. The only brand I have seen that I thought was not made for a lifetime of use was a Lee press. To Lee's credit though they are not charging you nearly as much either so it's not like they are trying to take advantage of anyone.

Good luck and welcome to the reloading clan!

flashhole

I will stray from the pack on this. Get a Lee Classic Turret. It is auto-indexng via the removable rod. With the rod removed it is a single stage. You will learn to do each step like a single stage but also have the benefit of using it in auto indexing mode when you need to. When loading pistol or revolver ammo it is a big plus. I use mine for both pistol and rifle.

I would also recommend you get a separate single stage and again I recommmend the Lee Classic Cast. An excellent press and probably the best value on the market today. If you look into it you will find you can get both the Lee Classic Cast and Lee Classic Turret for about the same price you would pay of a Rock Chucker. AND ... They are made in America.

dunerjeff

If the shop is near you and they will sell the stuff to you for close to what you can buy online or elswhere, get it there .I've found more times then not
buying local pays for itself more times then not even if you pay a little more(to a point) remember if you buy online, shipping costs can add up,plus when it comes time for 'other' help ,components.ect.. the local guy may give you really good deals on stuff(many people won't buy local because they'll be litterally a couple dollars higher)I've had shops that were"expesive"up front but after buying from them anyway,everything after that was way cheaper than I could find even online. Not always though.

Shootest

I also don’t believe CCI makes reloading presses, there sister company RCBS however is one of the top reloading equipment manufactures. If you have a local gun shop willing to help you start, I suggest you patronize them especially since they have offered such good advice. They may be a great source of information down the road. You did say you trust them.
The Reloader Special 5 would be a fine choice if loading primarily handgun calibers. No faster press is needed if loading only 200 to 300 rounds a month.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=731667
The Rockchucker would be better if loading primarily rifle calibers.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=513567
The 505 beam scale, although not the lowest price, is the standard by which others are judged.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=758842
The biggest complaint I have ever heard about RCBS is that they are not the cheapest, but my gun is not the cheapest either.

flashhole

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html

The Classic Cast is $73.40
The Classic Turret is $84.48

$157.88 for both and both are excellent presses. The two give you all the capability you will ever need on your reloading bench unless you get into high volume pistol or AR then you will most likely want a progressive. The Classic Turret is slightly larger than the Classic Cast single stage and has a slightly bigger footprint. Don't know why Lee did that. You can also buy accessories for the Classic Turret like a turret mounted powder measure.

The Rockchucker is $149.99 at Midway. It's a fine press but nowhere near the value of Lee Classic series presses.

You can see how I have them mounted on my bench. I recently added a second Classic Turret in a portable setup that I take to the range (bottom photo). I just swap out turrets when I want to load on either station.

MainReloadingBench.jpg

Finished11.jpg

oneounceload

CCI/Speer is owned by ATK, who also owns RCBS, among other major shooting industry companies

RCBS makes great stuff with lifetime guarantees. A single stage press, from them will last you forever. While there are a lot of folks here who will push the cheaper Lee products - the fact remains you have a LGS that sells a particular brand and can help you every step of the way and will have the accessories you will want down the road.

cheezhed

I started with a RCBS rockchucker a long time ago and find this to be an excellent press, having said (typed?) that I have purchased a lee clasic cast press and find that to be a good press also. I now use mostly a lee classic turret press as it strikes the balance between speed and price for me. RCBS is top notch and their customer service is very good I have also gotten good service from lee. The price difference is minimal if you spread it out over the life of the press so just go with a good press from any maker.

bedbugbilly

Thank you all! Do you think that maybe my age is showing and I'm having a flare up of CRS? :D I thought he was talking CCI but I probably misunderstood him . . . thanks for pointing out that you'd done a search and couldn't find any CCI equipment . . . now I know I'm "losing it"! :) I have to make a trip over there in a couple of weeks and I'll get my facts straight I promise.

All good points that you've made. I'm not strictly looking at price as I know "you get what you pay for". I guess I'm looking more for "quality" without "over-buying". If I was going to be doing a lot of reloading, that would be a different story - i.e. pistol, rifle and shotgun. I'm basically just shooting handgun now and as I get older, don't expect that to change. I'm between Michigan and Arizona - sumer/winter - so handguns are much easier for me and I don't hunt anymore.

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions - now to do more research and make a decision. I greatly appreciatded the help that I got at the gun store but it is over an hour away so I'm not limited to just them - am open to buying online, etc. as long as I know what I'm getting. My one concern was voiced by several - that of plastic and wearing out quickly. I'm still trying to get used to the idea that they use plastic to make handguns! Just goes to show you what a dinosaur I am! Thanks again - much appreciated fellas! :)

wncchester

Flash hole: "I will stray from the pack on this. Get a Lee Classic Turret. "

Ditto. And you may note from his bench photo Flash does have the basis to make valid comparisions. We never get more than we pay for but sometimes we get a lot less than we pay for!

I'm not a price snob nor do I have blind loyalty to inanimate objects. I got my RC II press long before Lee made the Classic Cast/Classic Turret; it's okay and I'm not tossing it out but IF I ever have to replace my old green press it will be with either one of the red Classic presses. They are the better choices no matter the price. If I wanted to load mostly for handguns it would be the Turret because of it's unique auto-indexing that greatly speeds up the loading process.

Last edited:

OldShooter

I have been reloading a few years, .380, 9mm & .45ACP. My first press was a turret and I'm glad I went that way. I basically use it in single stage mode but it allows me to mount all my dies once on a removable plate for each caliber and I can change calibers easily. Maybe I'm lazy but I don't have to fuss with resetting each die as I come to that stage of the process.

TXGunNut

I love my RCBS single stage presses but if I were to start over today it would likely be with the Lee Classic Turret. I'm not sure my Dillon at several times the price has anything on the LCT. OTOH it's good to find a guy at the LGS that knows what he's talking about and we need to support guys like him. I doubt at your expected volume you'd save much by going mail order and I think the guy will be helpful as you learn, money well spent, IMHO. Don't be afraid to stray to Lee, Hornady, Lyman or Redding now and then but RCBS is a great place to start, hard to do better. A majority of my stuff is green but red and blue are welcome on my bench too.

bedbugbilly

I gave the gun shop a call and talked with the fellow . . . I hate it when I think I'm losing my marbles! :D He was indeed talking about RCBS equipment. I probably "misheard" him which my wife often accuses me of! :) I use CCI percussion caps and he was evidently talking about CCI primers, etc. - he apologized and said that he may have mis-spoken - I told him it was a "draw" as I probably "mis-heard". :) At ny rate . . it is the RCBS equipment.

I'll do some searches and utilize all that you've shared with me to check on prices, etc. They seem to be pretty competitive in pricing but I'll double check on different components and then make a trip over and see what they have and their prices.

Thanks very much for all the great information - greatly appreciated! :)

Hawg

Maybe I'm lazy but I don't have to fuss with resetting each die as I come to that stage of the process.

You don't have to. Once they're adjusted and locked in place they'll still be right the next time you put them in. Even Lee O-ring dies stay adjusted.