Question for Python enthusiasts

MrBorland

beware actually believing some of it though - the trigger, while nice, isn't that nice and is different than that found on a S&W - if you're used to one the other may not seem too impressive. If you've spent years coming to terms with the S&W DA, your first Python will likely solicit comments like "This is what they're singing hosannas about?! It must be broken."

I was just waiting for Jart. :D

A very similar experience in another hobby has made me very leery when hosannas are uniformly sung. I'm either a philistine or a terrific snob. A Python may end up in my safe one day, but I expect it'll be for what it represents (and the ridiculous bargain I found it for) rather than how it shoots.

GUNKWAZY

Not really. Your $400 in 1978 money adjusted for inflation is $1300.

That's better than a lot of other regular production guns.

While some are comfortable shelling out $1200 for a Python, I think it's plain silly.

I have little interest in the Python as a sixgun or the .357 as a cartridge.

CraigC, If you hate the Python so much why are you posting here against every positive post ?

The OP asked for Python enthusiasts not the president of the Python haters club.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

CraigC

Just offering a different point of view. I don't hate them, not at all, I just resent the implication that Python ownership is obligatory if you're a "serious shooter". Don't get your panties in a wad because your Holy Grail and mine are not the same.

That's better than a lot of other regular production guns.
My point was that it was not a good investment. "Investment" implying that someday you'd like to turn a profit. Most guns barely keep up with inflation. Many of the later model Rugers that collectors clammer for do not. Apparently the same goes for the Python and most 3rd generation Colt SAA's.

GUNKWAZY

Yep, that's why I sold all my Colt's & my wadded panties and invested in my 401K. Just to keep up with de-flation.... ha ha ha

Although I can't remember using the term Holy Grail either. Yikes !!!

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

MrBorland

The OP asked for Python enthusiasts not the president of the Python haters club.

As far as I can tell, the OP asked for "thoughts" on the relative merits of a Python and a reloading setup. As far as the former, some feel Pythons live up to their reputation, and others, not so much. Fair enough, and overall, a pretty balanced offering, IMO.

It seems the OP has already gleaned what useful info he could, so I'd say this has been a useful thread that's run its course.

Last edited:

dpsix

Harry, I never use the word 'investment' and anything gun related in the same sentence. You will love a Dillon 650, particularly with the case feeder, but it is not a good investment as your increased shooting will cost you a lot of money. The Python is a wonderful revolver to behold (particularly in blue). Even the internal lockwork speaks of old school gunmaking. Buy one or more to collect or shoot, but as an investment...well who know's anymore? The only shortcoming of a Python, in my opinion, is it does not hold up well in rapid fire shooting sports such as steel plate and there are fewer gunsmith who are farmiliar with working on Colt's anymore. Buy the Python, get the Dillon later. Good luck.

357 Python

The first handgun that I can say was mine was bought for me by my Dad. It is a 6" Royal Blue Python made in 1978. I still have it. It was bought for $375 in 1979 and now I could get 3 or 4 times that today. A couple of years ago I found another Python at a local gunshop (4" Royal Blue shooter grade) for $800. Needless to say it came home with me the next day. I later found out it was also made in 1978. Now if I could only find a 2 1/2" Royal Blue Python that I can afford made in 1978. Why 1978? That was the year I graduated High School. Buy the Python, you won't be sorry. Like each Python owner each Python has its own story. Add yours to the Python by adding a Python to yours.

dutchgunsmoke

Python or Dillon?

I would go for the Python.

correction -

I already went for the Python. Best midframe production .357 I ever wil handle. Period. The Colt Python is an icon, not for it's looks but for it's out of the box performance.

Pythons are prized accordingly. High demand and a decreasing supply. Thus the price will only go up.

Dillons are still in production. What they cost now, they will cost in a year.
Not so for Pythons.

Olympus

For those of you marching to a beat other than a Python, I say keep marching! And never look back! :D

Just means more Pythons for me and Jeff to get our hands on....not that Jeff needs any more! :barf: