Question for Python enthusiasts

Harry Callahan

I am seriously thinking about getting a Python. To me no respectable firearm collection is complete without one. I've always been a shiny gun kind of guy so naturally I'm leaning toward one in bright stainless steel, probably a 6". The Royal Blue is also very nice but I was wondering what everybody else thinks as far as investment, etc. I think I've read the older ones are more desirable but I could get a newer one instead without any remorse. I have about $1300 saved up now. This was earmarked for a Dillon 650XL reloading set up with all the bells and whistles, but recently I've found myself lusting after a Python and if I save up a few more bucks I could get a really nice one. I've wanted to get into reloading for some time but it seems the presses are getting hard to find, not to mention primers, dies, powder, etc. I'm really torn. Thoughts, anyone?

pogo2

Python investments

You asked about the investment aspects of a Python. I have one, shown below, that I bought about 10 years ago for $630. Now it is worth maybe $1200, so it has doubled in that time, an annual return of about 8% a year. I would call it a good investment over that period.

But the important question to you is not the past 10 years but the next 10 years. Will a $1200 Python bought today go to $2400 in 10 years? Things that might impact this are the inflation rate over that time, the state of competing investments like stocks and real estate, and the economy in general. I certainly don't know the answer to all this, but my gut feel is that Pythons have had a good run, but may slow down in the future, just like stocks from 1997 to 1999 or real estate from 2000 to 2005. Nothing goes on forever and there is always a correction in any market.

If you want to invest in guns, I believe that prelock S&W revolvers from the 70s and 80s may be better. They haven't gone up as much as Pythons but are now starting to move. They also have a unit price about half that of Pythons, which widens their market. Gun buyers who will pay over $1000 for a single handgun are a minority of the population.

ColtPython52.jpg

tailgunner6

pogo2 makes some very good points; I'll add that a common trait of the guns he mentioned is that none are being made any more - this will influence the value of Pythons, pre-lock S&Ws, etc. greatly.

I too feel that a collection is not complete without a Python (or two) so I acquired them in a couple different flavors:

dsc02219xl8.jpg

Go for a Python, you won't regret it.

fairview mick

Python ??????

Buy your Python. They are by far the sweetest revolver ever made(imho). I've bought six in the las 8 or 10 months. They are going up in price. They are an enjoyment to own. I don't own a stainless, I think the royal blue is gorgeous, and the bright nickle is also very eye catching. I have 2 that are unfired, except factory testing and the others are tack drivers. If you're thinking about reloading, think about where you're going to get components. They are harder to get now than ammunition. I went to my local supplier to buy some reloading supplies, and there's nothing to be had at the moment.
Mickey

No 4" or 2 1/2" Pythons tailgunner?

Kidding. I wish I bought a .38 special one back in the late '70s when MidSouth was selling them for about $325. I've got a 6" and a 4" Python as well as 4" Daimondbacks in .38 special and 22 LR.

CraigC

It's not really a decision anybody can make for you. While some are comfortable shelling out $1200 for a Python, I think it's plain silly. I've always thought they were a handsome sixgun and those that I've handled have been super smooth, I just don't believe them to be a good value as a shooter. There are very few firearms made in the last 50yrs that make good investments. The Python may or may not be one of them but if you plan on shooting it, don't plan on making any money. Recently manufactured firearms are just not a good long term investment, even if you plan on keeping them NIB. The Colt SAA is a good example. They've been $1200 for at least ten years, except for that short time when Colt bumped the MSRP up to $1900. Well guess what, a new Colt is $1200 out the door and that ten year old Colt is not worth any more. So you lost the inflation rate and the new guns are better to boot. According to the inflation rate from 1998 to 2008, you lost $300.

So buy that Python if it makes you happy and shoot it to your hearts content. Just consider any gain in value to be an added bonus, not an expectation.

I also would strongly suggest something other than a progressive for a beginning reloader. There is A LOT going on on a Dillon 650. I consider myself intelligent and mechanically inclined but I'm really glad I learned how to reload and became comfortable with the process before I got my 650.

Chesster

I have a 4" mint in box safequeen plus this old parkerized shooter which now sports a pair of Colt medaled pachs.

976664122-1.jpg

pendennis

CraigC puts it correctly...

... For the most part, guns are a horrible investment. Pythons are bringing a premium because they are no longer made, not because of a particular scarcity. The same holds true for the Diamond Back. Although similar in appearance to the Python, it's not the same revolver. The action is not nearly as good. Yet, they are bringing as much as $1,200 locally.

If your heart is set on one, buy it. Shoot it. Enjoy it.

Mine retailed for under $400 in 1978. Now, 31 years later, it only tripled in value.

OJ

IMO - no one who loves guns should be without a Colt Python -

P3160001.jpg

Got this one in 1968 - made in 1957 - got it in factory new condition -

I don't think you want to know what I paid for it - I didn't buy if as a collection gun - we were threatened with race riots as had occurred in Detroit (I had taken my surgery training at the county hospital for Detroit and was acquainted with those). I knew if that happened, I would be needed in the hospitals and operating rooms and I wasn't about to be intimidated into staying in the safety of home so I bought it for personal defense,

The riots never happened and subsequently, I discovered what a prize I had. It was OK to carry in the car but, I needed a smaller one for my jacket or hip pocket to go with me from the parking to the hospital - so I got this one -

P3160002.jpg

It would be some years before concealed permits were issued here but, lack of a permit was by far the least of my concerns at the time.:rolleyes:

Investment value is of no interest to me - I sold a gun in 1940 and have regretted it ever since and will never do that again. Value will only be of interest if (when) I fail to pass the "wake-up test" and it will only be of intrest to my estate.

OK - I can't resist - I paid $99.00 for it.

:D

Last edited:

S&W-Keeper

I guess everybody needs a Python, I have some, but I don't think that I would buy one at todays prices.Look at a 686-4 or less, you might be suprised.

pmeisel

I have a 4" Python I got for a bargain 20 years ago, and it is my favorite. It was a reserve officer's duty gun so it has a little honest wear.

Get a nice one, but not so nice you won't shoot it.

Then, consider getting a turret press or a Lee breechloader single stage to start your reloading. I bought a Lyman turret to start out with the intention of upgrading to a progressive and have never felt the need.

CraigC

IMO - no one who loves guns should be without a Colt Python
Nah, I get along fine without one. If I'm gonna spend $1200 or more on a sixgun, it'll be a pre-war S&W, another custom Ruger or a USFA. ;)

Harry Callahan

I've already got a Model 586 6" Nickel I bought in 1987 and yes it is a great gun! After reading all the responses I think I'm going to go with the reloading equipment. Just seems like the right thing to do. Hopefully, prices on Pythons(and everything, for that matter!)will come back down to Earth in the future. Hopefully the "good things come to those who wait" saying will hold true. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Olympus

A Python is a must for any serious gun enthusiast. If you've seen one in person or shot one, then you'll know why. And if you notice a theme, those of us who own a Python, own more than one! I've got a 4" and 6", both blued. I also previously had a nickel Diamondback. The Colt Royal Blue is the best finish ever put on a gun in my book. The Pythons of the 50s and 60s with the Royal blue tend to look even better than the new Pytons with Royal. I suspect that the rising cost of labor has been a deciding factor as to why the newer Pythons with Royal Blue don't compare to the older ones. It's the amount of time spent polishing that gets the deep deep wet blue look and I assume that in the 50s and 60s they spent more time than they do now. That being said, you might find it difficult to tell the difference in looks and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. If you're looking for a Python to shoot, I would recommend the stainless. It is more durable than bluing if you plan on taking the gun out and using it some.

Chesster

There will be plenty of Pythons down the road. When the baby boomers start passing into that Shooting Range in the Sky, you guys will get your chance.

Not mine. What do you think I will be riding the range with?????????????? :):D:)

CraigC

A Python is a must for any serious gun enthusiast.
I heartily disagree, it might be a must for some. Shooting is what I do and my current collection is nearing 100 guns. Although I am primarily a revolver shooter and connoisseur, I have little interest in the Python as a sixgun or the .357 as a cartridge. I'm not at all opposed to spending that much on one gun and have done it numerous times (and more!) but there's lots of places I'd rather put $1200. Or even if I found one for half that amount.

Jart

A Python is a must for any serious gun enthusiast. If you've seen one in person or shot one, then you'll know why. And if you notice a theme, those of us who own a Python, own more than one!
I'll be the one marching to the tune of a different orchestra: I have one - had three, but one is sufficient. I guess as a shooter I just don't particularly care for them and they can be a bit higher strung than I'm comfortable with.

Still, The One Remaining isn't for sale. It's different and if one can connect with a Python for a reasonable sum it's nice to know what everyone is talking about in those internet Python threads - beware actually believing some of it though - the trigger, while nice, isn't that nice and is different than that found on a S&W - if you're used to one the other may not seem too impressive. If you've spent years coming to terms with the S&W DA, your first Python will likely elicit comments like "This is what they're singing hosannas about?! It must be broken." Hint: it's not broken. Further, don't let anyone unqualified try to "fix" it - even if they claim competence. You'll wind up buying another one, leaving it alone and coming to terms with a reasonably nice but different trigger.

The lock-up is interesting from the standpoint of mechanical curiosity but I don't shoot well enough to derive whatever benefit it, or the tapered bore, offers. It is a hoot to watch / feel the cylinder lock itself into place.

I also started reloading with a progressive of sorts - Dillon SDB due to it being available with factory adjusted nearly everything. This is handy if there's no one local to adopt as a sensei and one is frustrated by relative terms in reloading instructions ("tight crimp", "sufficient bell", that sort of thing). It didn't take long before one gets comfy then the SDB mutates into a 650 or whatever other color progressive suits your fancy.