Question for African Members

micromontenegro

At one point I thought back to this forum and all the questions I've seen about what type of firearm to carry for protection against various North American mammals.

I think it all boils down to the importance anyone gives to his own life. I've spent little time with the Masai, but a lot with the Yanomami and I can relate to your amazement. And IMHO, the real difficult thing for us to comprehend is that they don't care about their lives as much as we do. They are just so much closer to death (and more realistic about it). As someone pointed out, a 50 YO one is very old indeed.

Kreyzhorse

Can you really survive in the African brush with a stick for protection?

The Massai have oral history dating back to 1500s or so. In the very least, we know they've been there since the 1800s. They seem to have done pretty well with those sticks.

Last edited:

lt dan

a friend of mine has a lion and leopard breeding program on his game ranch. he has about 20 rifles. i went with him once when we had to feed the lions. we drove into the fenced area with a dead donkey on the back of the pick-up. he then whistled and the lions came over, as soon as he saw the lions he got out of the pick-up and opened the tail gate. two males pulled the donkey of the pick-up as if it was nothing. they then had a huge fight a between the two of them, before eating started. by this time i was out of my mind with fear. when my friend eventually got back in to the pick-up i asked him what happens when one of those guys thought he would make a better meal than the donkey? he said he has a STICK!!!! i asked: "so where is the stick"
to which he replied:" i am not sure, i think it is behind the seat".

seems a stick is enough for Africa. so much for all the hype that our game is tougher than that of the rest of the world.

TIA

Mainah

seems a stick is enough for Africa. so much for all the hype that our game is tougher than that of the rest of the world.

Wow, great post. Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Although having been to Africa for the first time I'm still pretty convinced that your game is tougher than anything I've seen in North America. Yellowstone is the only place I've been here that comes close.

I took a guided walk along the Mara River and saw plenty of Hippos and Crocs. If I had a Grizzly facing me on the banks of that river I'd take my chances with it before I got in the water. And I'd rather have twenty rattlers in my yard than one Black Mamba.

lt dan

as far plains game such as antelope vs the antelope of America i think they are equally tough. the difference might be that our game's vitals are placed more forward than that of American game such as deer. so, Americans hunting here, might aim slightly to far back on the animal and so miss the vitals. that might have been were the perception began.

hagar

I grew up in South Africa as well. Will never forget, when I was about 12 we went to visit my uncle on his farm in Botswana, and I wandered down to the river, saw about a dozen black kids swimming. It was very hot, so I jumped in the water as well. That night my uncle told me, whatever you do, do not swim in the river! Seems every week or so one of the locals get caught by a crocodile, but they figure what will be will be, and they had no say in the matter. So it's more a matter of attitude than effectiveness. That old story about the black goo between an elephant's toes being slow natives is not entirely untrue..;) I personally believe walk softly and carry a big gun.:D

As for the black mamba, I totally agree. That snake puts the fear of hades in me, but the closest I ever came to being bitten by a snake was by a diamondback in AZ.:barf: