Question about guns that bad guys carry

TMA-1

I hate to admit it, but the one time I was the victim of a hold-up, the bad guy was using a really nice-looking nickel-plated 1911. I wasn't in an appreciative mood at the time, but on reflection, I think he would have made more from selling the gun that he obtained from that convenience store register!

Jim Watson

One of the gunzines did a survey of convicts in prison for armed robbery, assault, mopery and dopery while armed, etc.
It concluded that the typical felon was like the typical cop or honest citizen; preferring a name brand handgun, usually a high capacity auto, sometimes a magnum revolver. Saturday night specials or sawn off stolen hunting guns were definitely fallback positions for when a good pistol could not be had.

Dave Anderson

Peace officer friends have told me a handgun carried in a holster almost invariably means the person is legally armed, either a licensed citizen or a plainclothes officer.

They say criminals, if they carry a handgun at all, carry it in a pocket or stuffed in the waistband so they can quickly ditch it if it appears a search or arrest is imminent. Perhaps because they are generally the ones who initiate a confrontation rather than respond to it, criminals don't see the need for a fast draw.

T. O'Heir

"...good guns or junk..." Most of 'em see their illegal firearm as an extension of the manhood. They don't know a good one from a bad one though.
Mind you, since the assorted 'Saturday Night Specials' have been declared evil, most criminals promptly acquired high capacity, higher end, stolen or smuggled firearms.
"...carried in a holster almost invariably means..." And we still see postings here and elsewhere about what firearm is best for carrying in a pocket.

freebird72

What is a junk gun? A Taurus? A Hi Point? To be honest I would be just as scared from a Taurus or Hi Point as much as I would be a Glock, S&W, Ect; especially if I was looking down the wrong end.

I would say some of the bad guys have some of the nicest guns around. Bad guys tend to have nice cars, nice cloths, so I would bet they have nice guns too. In fact, I would say they have guns we wish we could get a hold of, but we "legal citizens" are restricted by the law. :D

Mr.Blue

I used to watch "The First 48" a lot. It shows real life crimes being investigated real time by dectectives. If memory serves me, there were a lot of Glocks and a few Ruger semi autos. I don't ever remember any really nice guns like 1911s, S&W or Ruger Revolvers, HKs, Sigs, or CZs. Conversely, I didn't see any Highpoints. I do remember one guy who used a single action cowboy gun, but it wasn't a nice new one.

One thing I did notice was that the criminals didn't splurge on ammo. Usually they had all different brands and types of rounds in the same magazine. They seemed to prefer cheap hardball ammo too. I very rarely saw any nickel plated casings.

Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. If you ever get the chance, visit the J.M. Davis firearm museum in Claremore, OK. Huge gun collection, including guns from notorious criminals. There is one from the 1930's..ganster's gun, taken off him when arrested...an 1851 pocket navy Colt conversion in .38 rimfire! Now I know times were bad in the dirty thirtys..but man, this guy must have been way down on his luck to be carrying one of these relics!

ClydeFrog

Joe "Donnie Brasco" Pistone, ATF...

Retired FBI special agent; Joe Pistone the real "Donnie Brasco" who did undercover ops with many organized crime figures(the FBI by policy from Dir Hoover does not use the term "mafia") wrote in his non fiction book that many "soldiers"(low level street thugs) packed disgusting, rusty firearms.

Pistone wrote that he didn't even want to touch the weapons because of the crud & filth. He said it was the exact opposite of many Hollywood films & TV cop shows.

I'd make a ATF gun-runner joke here too but I'm a classy guy. :)

CF

SHNOMIDO

I'd assume they would carry whatever was available to them on the black market.

Which 9 times out of 10 is going to be what OG Scotty-two tone stole from his uncle at the last family reunion, so it would really be anything.

Im under the impression most street guns are stolen guns. If someone steals a hi point or taurus, or a $3000 dollar 1911 or a gen 4 glock with night sights; on the street theyre all going to be $300 burners that the friend of a friend of your dope dealer has in stock.

Glenn Dee

My experience has been...

In the 70's and early 80's... mostly cheap saturday night specials. Pot metal guns like the Raven, Davis, Jennings, RG. Probably the most popular Col. being .25. But al hofge-podge of different calibers, mostly .25's, 32's, .38's, an occasional .45.

It seems that in the late 80's bad guys started taking guns seriously. I started seeing better quality revolvers and autoloaders. In high calibers like .38spl, .357, 9mm, and .45

In the late 80's and into the present the 9MM became the gun to have. Probably because of violent rap music. Yeah I said it. Also started to see military style rifles. Firearms becoming fashion statements, and status symbols. As they increased firepower they seem to have increased there willingnes ro use that firepower for little or no reason.

Once I participated in a search for a shooter. (killed an innocent bystander) We raided his mothers house where he lived. He wasnt there but two things struck me as unique... One was this guy had about 200 pairs of sneakers. The other that he had stacks of popular gun magazines. Scary...

Skadoosh

American Black Market

This article reports the B.A.T.F. stating that stolen guns is near the bottom of the list of sources for "street guns":

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

excerpts:
An expert on crime gun patterns, ATF agent Jay Wachtel says that most guns used in crimes are not stolen out of private gun owners' homes and cars. "Stolen guns account for only about 10% to 15% of guns used in crimes,"

Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales.

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.

m&p45acp10+1

From the consensus of my friends that are LEO in the area generaly the never well to do people around here usualy do not spend much on a gun they know they will probably have to throw away.

Most carry what ever the crack heads traded for a rock. (We thend to call them "crack cupons" around here for that reason. It is well know they can trade a gun for a nice big rock no questions asked.