Question about Dillon machines

rjrivero

Get yourself a Rapid Trimmer and hook it up to a shop vac. You'll realize the case feeder isn't really loud.....at ALL! :p

Foxbat

Agree about the case feeder not being too loud - I actually love its quiet assuring noise up there! :)

To me it is a definitely MUST HAVE accessory, you should really get one!

BigJimP

I'm loading 9mm on my 650 right now / with powder check die installed and adjusted. I had run 100 rounds a couple of days ago / and I adjusted the powder to drop another 0.2 gr

I ran 1,000 rounds yesterday in a couple of hours / it went off twice I think. I use TiteGroup - load min is 4.1gr and max is 4.4gr / my goal drop was 4.3.
The powder check rod was adjusted with very little area for variation at 4.3 / it was in the middle for 4.1 a couple of days prior / but at 4.3gr it was almost on the edge of alarming ( on the high side ).

Both times it went off - just for a second as the rod settled into the powder / in both cases, the drop was still 4.3gr . I re-adjusted the powder check rod - so at 4.3gr the rod was in the middle of the allowable range before "alarming".

I've been reloading for over 40 years / but only about 5 yrs on the Dillon 650 with the powder check die - and I've never had a squib or a double charge round ( on a variety of presses ) but the powder check die makes me feel better.

Farmland

The one thing nice about Dillon presses are that a lot of people use them. They really got their big start and popularity with competitive shooters. So the advantage they have is that they are well tested and even critiqued. Solutions for any problem have been found and solved.

One such point many anti blue people like to point out is that the Dillon doesn't produce the best ammunition when it comes to the little things such as reloading rifle ammunition when accuracy counts. Personally I'm a pistol guy at heart and I can say I never noticed any problems. However neither has John Wildden. John just happens to be the National Long Range Rifle Champion. I cann't hold a candle to those guys shooting at 1,000 yards.

You might find it interesting that John does use Dillon presses to reload his ammunition.

CONCENTRICITY

This is what the Anti Dillon people like to bring up when it comes to Dillon presses like they are the only press that may have issues with it.

Concentricity refers to how straight the bullet is on top of the loaded round. A bullet that is straight will enter the rifling in the barrel that way. Bullets that enter the rifling slightly crooked do not shoot with their highest accuracy.

However like I said we are talking about the most popular progressive presses on the market. This makes them the most improved presses on the market because many fine people have worked to improve them with after market products, something that really doesn't exist for the others.

If you are concerned about concentricity you might want to add this after market product to your press then no one can say your Dillon doesn't produce the best rifle ammunition possible with the best concentricity.

Just another plus for the Big Blue.

http://whiddengunworks.net/toolhead.html

Last edited:

lmccrock

A reading assignment: Which Dillon?

550:
If you plan to load multiple calibers on one machine, would like to switch calibers quickly, easily, and inexpensively, this is the machine for you.

650:
...it’s reasonably priced, and it can crank out a boatload of ammo. ... I never recommend it for your first reloading machine, unless you have a buddy with one
Before buying, decide:
1. How many different cartridges?
2. How many rounds/month?

I am not shooting as much now, but I have a 550b and reload for a few different calibers. The lack of auto-indexing has not been a big deal, but I do not sit down and try to knock out 1000/hr.

Lee

rjrivero

Farmland

Thanks for that link. I'm going to get a toolhead and floating die rings for loading .223.

I'm probably not good enough yet to see a difference in my Hi-Power shooting, but I'll let you know how it works out. ;)

Foxbat

One should be careful not to fall an easy prey to some of those "enhancement" makers, of which there are scores.

I think the micrometer dial idea is hair brained. I do have very nice dials on all my drops - the screw that Dillon supplies with them should go into Hall of Shame. The dial is very functional, but the micrometer is waste of your money. You still need to adjust and check the weight any time you change the load. I don't think it is smart to rely on your micrometer dial and some "calibration curve".

I guess I am lucky... the powder I am using is perfect for the dial... or the other way around... at any rate, I get perfect .1 grain per one large division. But I only work on increments/decrements, never some absolute.

Of all the bolts on the market this is the King.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillon-Powder-M...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20ad80ae8c

The only enhancement worth considering on that list, in my view, is the large powder reservoir.