Question about Dillon machines

650 vs. 550: Five stations verses four (makes room for a powder check station; a good thing), automatic indexing verses manual, mechanical case feed from tube with electric filling hopper option for keeping the tube filled.

The conversion kit cost difference is due to having a larger five station tool head, plus you have the mechanical case feeder parts to change, so the 650 kit includes those.

The 650 is a bigger, fancier machine.

Foxbat

My take is the price difference between the 550 and 650 is ridiculously small considering the great step up in functionality.

BigJimP

The only plus the 550 has over the 650 - is the 550 will do a number of "oddball" rifle calibers that the 650 doesn't have available.

But for what its worth, I'd buy the 650 again, primarily because of the powder check system available on the 650 / it adds a significant amount of safety in my opinion.

rjrivero

I also have a 650. I do agree that it is less "flexible" than the 550 as far as caliber selections go. However, I'd still buy it again. It's been a great machine. I've worn out my first part: The indexing collar just this week. (I estimate some 20,000 rounds of various calibers loaded to this point.)

vsgonzo

Another one for 650. Great machine and i have not had a single messedup roind out of yet. 2000+ rounds out of it and majority ha e been fired already. I have had 2 squibs on my single stage lee (user error). The 650 is almost idiot proof once you set the thing up. (super easy, just set on die at a time till adjusted. Add next and so on. Then rock and roll)

down fall to 650 is having enough components handy to feed It. I would have more than gazillion rounds made if i had the money and didnt have to wait 6-8 wks for bulk bullet orders.

But on the bright side since you go through your stash quickly you. Can spend more time shooting and for other things like family lol.

Farmland

The 550 is $406 and the 650 is $529 so the first difference is $123. The 550 can load over 160 calibers, the 650 does less though you should refer to their web site for the exact differences in calibers.

A 550 caliber conversion kit is $55.95 and the 650 is $73.95. The 550 is hand indexing and the 650 is automatic indexing. The 550 is still the most popular and highest selling of the Dillon machines.

The 550 has 4 working stations and the 650 has 5. For most people 4 is plenty but 5 is better. Most people who have a 650 leave one station blank or fill it with the powder checker. Both have the optional case feeder the 550 is $239 and the 650 is $209.

Each press has a following which splits the Dillon crowd similar to the Dillon vs Hornady crowd.

Both are blue and both a very good machines being able to reload rounds faster than a single stage press by leaps and bounds.

They are easy to set up and adjust, each offers interchangeable tool heads for those that do not like to rest their dies. By adding the additional powder funnel for $72 you never have to change settings unless you change powders.

The function of both machines is smooth, one you hand index the other pulling the handle does the indexing. Changing from large to small primers is pretty simple and will take you a minute or two. The directions are clear and they have a great support system, of course replacement parts are free and shipped fast. (other companies offer the same service)

The powder measure works great though some powders are a little harder to adjust. However the powder drop is pretty constant across the board. Modification can be made to the powder measure to help set the charge weight such as putting a better knob on the adjustment bolt. In addition you can polish the metal parts of the measure to improve dropping for the harder powders. Each comes with an audible low primer warning system.

A plus enhancement for both is the roller handle for $40. I would suggest extra small and large primer pick up tubes so you can load them and hardly ever have to slow down to load primers.

A better web sit for more information is

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html

Dillon's RL 550B has all the simplicity and reliability of a single-stage reloading press, but it loads a complete round with every pull of the handle. And it's as easy to learn to reload on as a single stage!

The 650 was designed with the serious competition shooter in mind – it’s reasonably priced, and it can crank out a boatload of ammo.

Read this link for help on the differences at a fast glance & read.

http:
//www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

I have the 650 and it is a great machine though I would not be that quick to say that the 550 might not be the better machine for you. Please read the second link above and make you own decision. You might note that seasoned loaders do not consider the powder check a make or break issue.

Foxbat

"I would suggest extra small and large primer pick up tubes so you can load them and hardly ever have to slow down to load primers."

He-he... I would not stop there. One big improvement to process you can make - purchase the RF-100 primer filler... better yet - two, one for big, one for small primers. I love the reduction in labor and tedium they provide. I know, $300 is a lot of money, but if you can swing that, you will keep enjoying it.

The early ones were problematic, typically doing 2-3 per 100 upside down. The latest mods are much better, I now average less than 1 in 100. I sent the old one in, it returned adjusted AND upgraded all for free. So I have three of them, and highly recommend the machine. Now when it beeps I empty the tube, and dump 110 primers in the machine tray, press the button and continue loading. The whole thing can be done in 20 seconds, or less.

Farmland

They are nice but for the time it takes to fill about 10 tubes it isn't much of an incentive to spend the $300. I think you have 2 of them?

In any event they are very nice just expensive. Of course a nice suggestion if you don't like filling the pick up tubes. Nothing like going first class all the way.

Last edited:

Foxbat

"I would suggest extra small and large primer pick up tubes so you can load them and hardly ever have to slow down to load primers."

Not as much time as tedium. I have three of them, but your point is correct - it is icing on the cake, one can perfectly do without them. It is not essential part of process.

You are right about the roller handle - that one is a must, if you load any appreciable quantity. Much less tiring to your hand.

Farmland

You have three of them!!!!! I wish I was your neighbor. :D:D Now you could use my home range in return for use of your room.:D:D

Someday I might spring for another 650 but I have to unload the Hornady LNL AP first. Who knows what the first of the year will bring..

Farmland

BTW do you use the low powder sensor? I'm on the fence if I really need one. So far I haven't had any problems.

Foxbat

I don't use them because I never run low, it is so visible it is hard to miss - never happened to me.

I also don't let the powder level drop below 50%, usually try to stay in the upper quarter, as it improves the consistency. There is a definite (albeit small) variation due to amount of powder in the reservoir.

Regarding the Hornady, while there are good things to be said about that press, the 650 is simply in another league - I know as I used to have the H.

Funny thing is, I am still not sure about the 1050. I am having mixed feelings about that machine. It's got a couple of nice features, but overall it takes much more physical effort to operate it compared to the 650, and the number of issues I experienced with it in short time, was many times higher than the 650's gave me in years. I truly believe a home reloader should stay away from that machine.

BigJimP

I use the low powder sensor / but its pretty easy to just keep the powder reservoir topped off too ... as you refill primers or cases into the case feeder.

Powder Check is a different issue / I use and like that option a lot. I think its a "deal breaker" to buy a press without the option.

The down side to the 1050, is it only comes with a 1 year warranty - not the no questions asked "lifetime No BS warranty". When I quizzed the Dillon folks about this issue / its because they consider it a commercial grade machine - and they don't want to subsidize ammo manufacturers ( even small ones ..).

Foxbat

"Powder Check is a different issue / I use and like that option a lot. I think its a "deal breaker" to buy a press without the option."

I never had it, and in about fifteen years of using first one... then two... then three... now four Dillons I had not one squib.

I would be curious to hear the stories from the folks who use them on Dillons - how often do they get the alarm?

Farmland

I am a user of the powder checker and I have never had the alarm go off. In fact I make a practice of checking the battery just to make sure it works.

It isn't a bad safety guard to have. I have one open position so I use the powder check. It is easy to set up and I have never had any powder spillage like you have had. If you have the money and the open slot and need the extra safety feeling that it provides it does the job.

But like the Maytag repair man push it every once and awhile to make sure the battery is still good. So far it has sat on the top of the tool hood looking for a case to do it's job.

I still look at every case and test powder weight every 25 cases. Yes I don't use the loud case feeder so every time the plastic tube needs filled I check the powder. That would be approximately 25 pistol cases depending on caliber.

Now if they can make a quiet case feeder I would put mine back on.:D

I give a great big plus to the primer alarm which works like a champ.

Here is a hint for those of you that change from large to small primers. The little black piece on the press frame can be taken off so you have more room to work. This is when you are replacing the primer feeder punch. It just bolts on and needs no adjustment.

There is a larger thread on another site about the powder checker and it is one of the least used options for those reloaders, mostly competition loaders. I guess all us older folks still take some time to look inside the case even when we are pumping them out pretty fast. I have see some great mirror and lighting additions for this purpose.

Dillonhelp

In my own reloading, I have never had a powder charge variation cause the powder check to go off. However, it has found smaller cases inside of larger ones, mud in the bottom of cases, and similar debris that reduces the volume of the case. For that reason I continue to use the powder check on my 1050 at home.