Quality 308 bolt action hunting rifle

Rob228

I've got one of the Kimbers in .325 Short Mag and it is a serious thumper as a result of the light weight. Of course it wouldn't be as bad in .308, but you are right about the weight, it is by no means a varmint rifle.

mapsjanhere

If you really like the 308 lever action there's always the Browning BLR. Lever action with box magazine, even available in take down. Not quite in the $3000 class, but I love mine with a Zeiss Varipoint for quick shots.

zoomie

Adding a suppressor would help the recoil and make it mucho more fun to shoot all afternoon. Or a mild brake if you don't want to do the NFA hassle and just want to reduce the recoil some.

billnourse

I would certainly look at the Sako 85 as well as Hill Country rifles. Nosler Custom would also be high on my list. Not sure all of these are available with oiled wood. Most makers these days seem to prefer synthetic.

From what I have heard, the Kimber is kind of a crap shoot right now. Might get a good one, and you might not.

The Cooper's are very nice rifles, and all I have ever been around, and I own 4 of them, are shooters, but I believe that Cooper is having some problems right now. Cooper only has a 3 round mag, but they have extra mags available, so no big deal..

I have had some considerable issues with two of mine that I have not decided whether or not to post about and I know of at least 8 other rifles from my area that have experienced problems.

I would be glad to fill individuals in through a PM, I'm just not ready to publicly disclose all I know right now.

Bill

jgcoastie

My Kimber 84M Classic Select produces less felt recoil than my much heavier Browning X-Bolt Varmint Stalker in .308. The X-Bolt weighs in around 9lbs, the 84M around 6lbs.

It may have more felt recoil than other heavier rifles that you're used to, but the stock fits me just about perfectly and is well-designed to soak up significant amounts of recoil.

To further amplify that point; my neighbor and shooting/hunting buddy bought a Kimber in .375H&H and we both shot it extensively because it was a pleasure to shoot. It didn't produce any more felt recoil than my old Rem 700 in .30/06.

hooligan1

jgcoastie, now you're rubbing it in!:rolleyes: If you paid what you said you paid for that rifle, then your a lucky super-shopper!:p I picked up a Kimber light weight rifle at a gun show, it was VERY lighweight, I could not get over how nice it was. It did have a synthetic stock on it though! 1245.00!!!:eek: That kind of jack, is called certain Divorce, around here!!!:D

jgcoastie

hooligan1 said:
jgcoastie, now you're rubbing it in! If you paid what you said you paid for that rifle, then your a lucky super-shopper! I picked up a Kimber light weight rifle at a gun show, it was VERY lighweight, I could not get over how nice it was. It did have a synthetic stock on it though! 1245.00!!! That kind of jack, is called certain Divorce, around here!!!

Indeed, I bought the gun second-hand from a shipmate for $500 & I paid $100 and change for the scope. The guy was in a bind and I wasn't really in the market for another rifle at the time. He initially told me $800 and I started walking away. Then he lowered the price to $600 and I told him I'd take a look. When I did, I noticed a fair amount of surface rust on the barrel and action, so I told him I'd only give him $500 because of the rust and he said okay. So I went home with a new (to me) rifle. A small amount of transmission fluid + 0000 steel wool + 30 mins = no more rust & basically brand new gun.

Because I only have a few hundred bucks tied up in it, and my cheapest centerfire Browning comes in at around $1100 (including optics), the Kimber will be my "beater rifle" once I find a good load for it.

Last edited:

UpstateGlocker

I second the nomination of a Browning BLR if you'd be interested in another lever action. If a bolt then look at the Browning X-bolts. Both very nicely made. Both available in .308. I don't see the need to go magnum unless you are a long distance shooter or plan on very large animal hunting, but if you've been satisfied with .308 for all those years I'd stick with it.

Spend the extra money on good optics.

I don't want to talk you off of your original price point Phil, but it depends on what you want. A Sako 85 is still in the three grand range and is a great value for a rifle, but so is the $750 Sako A7, which is a Sako 75 action and gauranteed MOA 5 shots out of the box. I tested two of them for an article I have coming up on out of the box accuracy and they both did indeed shoot way under an inch for 5 shots, and well into an inch for 10 shots.

There are also custom gun makers out there that use remington and mauser actions in the $3,000 range. We are giving away an MG Arms this month in fact that is under $2500 and guaranteed 1/2 minute. Do you want fine walnut or modern polymer for a stock? Do you want a stainless or blued barrel? These are the questions you should be asking yourself. We also tested a TC Icon for the article and it was an unbelievable tack driver with brown box Hornady Ammo. It used to be that rifles were not optimized for harmonics but that has all changed. Out of the box guns inch guns can be had for cheap now. I have a target from a brand new out of the box Savage that is 20 rounds into the inch black circle at 100 meters, with no cool down. Go to a well stocked gunshop and see what feels right for you. Out of the box there are a ton of options for accuracy.

jgcoastie

GunsAmerica Actual said:
Do you want fine walnut or modern polymer for a stock? Do you want a stainless or blued barrel? These are the questions you should be asking yourself.

Apparently, he has already asked himself that question and answered it in the OP. Of course, you would know this if you had read it...

phil mcwilliam said:
The 308 caliber works fine for the medium game I hunt, but I was more interested in experienced opinions of different makes of quality bolt actions.
I prefer wooden oiled stock with blued barrel. Magazine capacity would ideally be 4 rounds minimum. I will be carrying this rifle when hunting deer in the mountains, so dont want a heavy barrel rifle.

phil mcwilliam

new sako 014.JPG

View attachment 64862Picked up my new Sako 85 Bavarian 308 last Friday. We have a few weeks "cooling off" period from when we order to when we aquire in Australia. I had a Kahles 2.5-10x50 scope fitted & a Butler Creek sling.
I leave next wednesday to travel 5 hours to my mates 2,000 acre cattle property where Iwill sight the rifle in(2 inches high at 100 yards is my standard). I'm up at the property for a week ,so am certain the rifle will be "blooded" on a variety of game including pigs, goats, roos, foxes, hares & rabbits. I kind of act as a "vermin controller" on this property, & also help out the manager in his side role of "professional kangaroo shooter".

Last edited:

pythagorean

The IDEAL bolt Mountain Rifle

006-4.jpg

003-6.jpg

005-3.jpg

JerryM

I would really look hard at the Kimber 84. I have not seen one, but everything I have read indicates it is a fine rifle.

Regards,
Jerry