PT-145 trigger -- dry firing?

Dogjaw

denfoote,
Ask all you want. I did not decide against the PT-145 on hearsay. I went to numerous gun shops and tried them trying to find one with a trigger to MY liking. All were the same, and none to my liking. If you took the time to read the earlier posting of mine you would have seen this. I did not use the term gritty or long, others did (including yourself). Am I not to believe you? My complaint was the trigger(s) actually jerked when slowly pulled in a controlled fire. As I stated, I'm buying a dao in the next couple of weeks. All dao have a long trigger pull. That's why I'm buying one. If I have to present it in self defense, I sure as hell don't want an accident. I have other weapons for shooting targets. You yourself stated you took yours back to the gunsmith complaining (in which you used the term "gritty"). If you knew me, you wouldn't even consider the accusation that I based my judgement on hearsay. And as far as "untrue", no man's opinion is untrue. It's his opinion. That someone disagrees with you doesn't mean he's wrong, he may just have a different opinion or preference. My opinion is a trigger mechanism is the ultimate operation and control of the weapon. I've passed on many a gun that others have thought was a buy based on it's trigger. I don't care if it's the smallest, lightest, cheapest, prettiest etc. If the ultimate operation sucks, the gun sucks. As I said in an earlier post, I intended to lay money down on a PT -145 until "I" experienced the trigger.

Zundfolge

And how many law enforcement or local, state, or federal agents carry these fine Taurus weapons?

I'll bet about as many as carry Kimber Ultras and other sub compacts. :rolleyes:

Just because the LEOs aren't jumping on the bandwagon doesn't mean a particular gun is crap (or for that matter just because they are buying them up by the truck load doesn't mean they are not crap).

I think we've established that LEOs and police departments generally know less about firearms then the average TFLer (well...not counting the LEOs here on TFL ;) ).

Dogjaw has the right idea...I didn't buy a PT-145 for 2 reasons, 1 was complete "heresay" about the trigger and 2 was that I found an awsome deal on my Steyr.

I don't regret getting my Steyr, but I do wish I'd at least tried the PT-145 before 86ing it (however the Steyr is NOT going to be my last handgun purchase, so maybe there will be a 145 in my collection sometime down the road :) )

KITT

I think Taurus is like the rest of the pistol makers... they don't want the liability of five or six pound trigger pull so they opt for the twelve or fifteen pound trigger. This is what the police departments do with the Glock pistols when they put the "New York" heavy trigger in them. They have to set the trigger heavy because "SOME" shooters don't know to keep their finger off the trigger until they are ready to fire. Blackhawk E-mail me and I will give you a few tips on the trigger job.

Blackhawk

jtduncan,

"And how many law enforcement or local, state, or federal agents carry these fine Taurus weapons?"

There's no way to know, but it doesn't matter. The only opinion that counts on what I do is... MINE!

If anyone in UT want's to fire a PT145, I'll let them use mine. The try before you buy approach has always been my favorite. Maybe I can help some of you with doubts, change your mind about the PT145.

I don't think the trigger is too bad. Yes it did take some time for me to get used to it, but now it is getting better. With the polish job, what part would you actually polish?

After taking the slide off and watching when I pull the trigger, I just don't seem to understand where one would polish? From what I understand, the little metal piece is pushing back the spring, and then it lets it go. Maybe it's my newbieness to guns.

Blackhawk

StratfordHoldings,

Parts that have intimate contact and relative movement are candidates for polishing where they interface. Disassembly is required because any residual polishing compound must be completely removed as it is abrasive.

jtduncan

Hey defnote, why don't you sell me that G30 since it misses your body heat or is that your steel plates, pins, or range gun?

Et Al:

I'm a member of the Seattle Police Range and shoot with a lot of Seattle area cops.

Around here, our LE agencies use their Glocks, Sigs, and HKP7s stock. Without any modifications to make the triggers heavy.

I'm in regular contact with most of the manufacturers and can tell you that some brands have not made law enforcement cuts.

Even Glock has made some mistakes. Look at the Glock 36, the slimline 45 ACP. The jury is still out on that gun because as a cop, if your issue sidearm is a Glock 21, your backup would naturally be a Glock 30 since the mags work in both. Although the G36 was directed at the civilian CCW market, there are good options for a slim 45 ACP gun from the 1911 offerings to the HK compacts and even the Sig P245.

I'm not saying just because cops carry them, we should. But I think it should be considered.

While a big chunk of the law enforcement community view their sidearms as tools, a good 10-20 percent of them are avid shooters who end up becoming instructors who do advice the Chief on the type and brand of firearms that rank and file officers will be carrying.

And there is always a secondary list of guns that officers are allowed to carry as backup or off-duty. Even the Kahr K9s have made those lists with NYPD if I'm not mistaken. Many still let officers opt to carry SW revolvers. But you won't find Taurus on those lists. Funny but you will find the Kel Tec P-32 pocket guns on many lists. And there is anoither gun that needs a little TLC and some F&B for $250.

Many LE agencies do their own firearms and ballistics testing. Free from commerical interests, politics, and corporate posturing.

And then there are the police guilds and unions. They push police administrators for the the very best guns their budgets can afford.

And since their lives are on the line day in and day out, a reasonable and prudent person would have to ask themselves, "Why aren't I carrying what they are carrying?"

Carry what you will. If you'd like to trust your life and your family's lives to a cheap plastic foreign-made POC, do it.

This is America and people make those kind of dot.gone decisions every day. Hey, want to take a margin loan on some Real Networks stock. You can. You can make that economic decision. Maybe the perp will have a Davis or Lorcin derringer that blows up in his hand and you'll be fine. But reliability is what I want!

For an extra $60, you can buy a factory refurbished Glock with a warranty in 9mm, 40SW, and sometime in 45 ACP and get a pair of hi caps!

Sometimes you just gotta spend da money!!!

In sum, if you want an entry gun in 45 ACP, then the PT-145 will work. But if you want to shoot 2K rounds through it a month, compete, or have many holsters and accessories to chose from, its not one of the better options.

That's all.

jtduncan

Blackhawk is right.

You'll have to fully disassemble the gun down to the bare frame and Flitz polish and felt tip Dremel any metal to metal contact points on the trigger action only.

That's how you do it on a Glock in addition to dropping a lighter weight trigger bar connector.

Call Wolff springs and see if they have any reduced power offering for the PT-145 yet. I see that they do share some springs with the Berretta line. Call and ask.

tonyz

jtduncan

You don't HAVE to break in a Glock, Sig, HK, or Kimber or any other quality gun

From a kimber's operational manual.

BREAK-IN-PERIOD

Kinbers are Quality custom pieces. Our firearms are hand fitted to tight tolerances For proper break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500 rounds of quality factory FMJ 230 ball cleaning the pistol after every 100-150 rounds.

Tony Z

jtduncan

Alright tonyz, I shouldn't have included Kimber since I don't own one YET!

But I have seen more than two dozen guys tot fresh out of the box Kimbers into steel plate league and not had any reliability problems.

But the PT-145 trigger is not as nice as the Sigma's I've shot. Oh my, was I smoking crack when I said that? No, the Sigma's have had better triggers from my shooting experience.

The problem is the PT-145 has this chessy kind of trigger like a Kel Tec P-111.

Gusgus

So, JT, if your logic holds true, I should consider one of those custom modified, butchered SW-99s, that my beloved SP had specially made to their specifications. You know the ones. The pistols made with special triggers, and without decockers per the NJSP specifications, until they discovered that they goofed, and couldn't release a set trigger since there was no decocker. You know, the pistols that where then returned at taxpayer expense to add the decockers that should have been standard. The ones that had 16 round factory mags blocked to 15 rounds, because no one, not even NJSP need more than 15 rounds in this State. The pistols that now jamb every 2 or 3 rounds. Yeah, those pistols, I guess I should get one of them. Or would you recommend one of the worn out and dangerous 20 year old P7M8s or P7M13s that the NJSP are now forced to continue to carry since the S&W deal went sour?

Or maybe I should emulate my local PD. Since they've had 3 service side arms in the last three years, I have a lot of choices. Let's see, should I get the 92FS that proved two big and bulky, or the USP .45s that jammed because the officers where limp wristing them, or the new .40 Sig 229s that they are now not happy with?

I know, I know, I should get a Glock 17 like the good old boys across the river in Philly. I hear that in the hands of a trained officer, they are extremely accurate. Last summer, officers where able to hit a fleeing suspect 6 whole times out of only 55 shots fired, at a whopping range of 5 to 10 yds. Dang, I want that kind of accuracy.

I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point. You can't judge the quality of a firearm just because it was or was not chosen by a department or agency, or even by how it performs within that department or agency.

Sure, 10% or 20% (more like 1% or 2% here in the NE) of the rank and file may be firearm enthusiasts, but for the most part, the ones making the purchasing decisions are pure idiots.

tonyz

jtduncan

I didn't do the Kimber recommeneded Brake-In.
I was using match grade reloads after 100 rounds.

I was Just showing that there is one manufature that has a break-in procedure.:D

jtduncan

I partly concur Gusgus.

I shoot at a police range and I see the some civilian out-training the cops by far. Most of the local officers I've observed just start training two or three weeks before qualification. And you should see all of the shots at the edges of the huge target. Scary.

And I've never been a proponent of picking a gun on the flavor of the week frivality some of these agencies enjoy. That just means their department lacks firearms expertise.

As to the Glock 17, at 200K plus rounds and still ticking, name me any other guns that across the board offer Glock's features. But I prefer the Glock 34 for greater velocity and accuracy.

And those cops just plain old sucked. What are they doing over there? hiring a bunch of tree hugging sissy boys? Limpwristing is a serious indicator that they are very inexperienced Glock shooters. If they trained well and under stress and used a PRISM or a PHATs simulator, they should be real embarrassed about their marksmenship. Operator failure. The Glock may not be pretty but it works.

And yes, you should snag one of those HKP7 trade-ins if you can. HK will refurb one for you for a nominal $50. I have a 16-year old P7 PSP that was carried by an Ohio State Trooper. Still a looker and shoots sub one-inch groups at 25 yards all day long.

denfoote

Hey defnote, why don't you sell me that G30 since it misses your body heat or is that your steel plates, pins, or range gun?

JT,
The Black Widow Maker is beside me even as I write this and here is where it is going to stay!! :D

Maybe I should elucidate. The BWM is a G30 with Heinie Slant Pro Sights, the 3.5lb connector, and a wonderful aftermarket grip sleeve called an Agrip. It is carried in a Bianchi Black Widow pancake. No, I think I'll keep her!!! :cool:

jungleman

I do not understand some of the comments about the Pt 145.
Gritty trigger pull, so what. It's not a target pistol. Its a defensive pistol. I bought it for CCW purpose, at an average of 7 feet for defensive use a gritty trigger means nothing. At 7 feet I could throw the thing at a BG and hit them. Now the cracking frames is a different situation. I am sure that Taurus will solve that problem in time. I am not saying that the pistol should not be perfect the first time, but a gritty trigger????:rolleyes: