PT-145 trigger -- dry firing?

Blackhawk

I don't have a PT-145 ... yet. Most forum comments about their triggers describe them as "gritty", and some have said they smooth out after 200-500 rounds.

Why not just dry fire the pistol a few hundred times to let the trigger mechanism burnish itself in?

Also, some have noted experiencing "hard primers" resulting in FTFs. If a new pistol's parts aren't quite "seated", some of the force intended for the firing pin would be diverted to overcoming that resistance. Overall, dry firing would also give the rest of the mechanism the opportunity to "seat" its parts, wouldn't it?

Dogjaw

Dry fired a PT-140 and PT-145 at gun shops. The gritty feel is more like a jerking action like plastic on plastic. You can actually hear the squeak. I picked up a Ruger P97 dao dry fired it and told them to put the Tarus's back in the case.

Zundfolge

I wonder if there's any parts in the PT-145 that can be polished or lubed to make the trigger smoother.

Actualy because of the many complaints about the trigger in these forums I decided against the PT-145 and bought a Steyr M-40 instead. While I'm real happy with my Steyr I still would like to have one of the PT-145s, but only if I can make it as smooth as my Steyr ;)

Blackhawk

Dogjaw,

The squaking sound you describe as like plastic on plastic is exactly what I would expect of two unburnished metal surfaces intended to be self-lubricating. I don't know what's used for the mechanism, but I'd sure like to!

Blackhawk

Zundfolge,

It simply doesn't make sense for Taurus to persist with a design that has squeaky, gritty, stiff triggers. I can imagine them not spending the extra money to make sure each mechanism is fully seated, but I can more easily imagine the mechanism being fine when passing QA after "burnishing" only to have the parts again get cranky after packaging and sitting around for weeks because they're not fully seated.

Any lubricant between hardened similar metals will be squeezed out over time when jammed together, and I'm sure the mechanism has some parts that don't move at all until partway through the trigger pull.

denfoote

Taurus recommends that you use a "snap cap" when dry firing. The trigger does become smoother with use, although any gun will require a break in period. Most manufacturers do suggest a minimum of 200 rounds to accomplish this. With the PT-145, the gritty trigger didn't effect the accuracy. I shot 2in groups right out of the box. I have enough confidance in it to carry it as my defense weapon!!!:D

Dogjaw

It is a shame about the trigger. I was intent on buying one. The gun fits my hand well, and the safety is well positioned.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
From the Taurus PT145 Manual...

Page 4, warning # 22.
Dry firing is bad for this gun, whether the hammer block is engaged or not.

Take it for what it's worth, there is no hammer block on a PT145. :rolleyes:

I just took a PT 145 to the range today. The trigger pull was long, but smooth. And with less than 100 rounds through the pistol. I like it a lot! :)

denfoote

Quote by dogjaw

It is a shame about the trigger. I was intent on buying one. The gun fits my hand well, and the safety is well positioned.

I do not understand this. All firearms need to be broken in!!! It's like Tamara says, how many times have we heard how so-and-so returned such-and-such pistol because the trigger was gritty, long...etc without taking the time to break the pistol in!!! You, Sir have not even shot the PT-145!!! I probably have the most experience with the gun on this board. I tell you that it is a fine reliable weapon. Sure it takes getting used to, but so does the Glock!!! I haven't seen to many people returning their Glocks because they didn't like the trigger. Get real!!!!:rolleyes:

KITT

I had a PT-111 9mm that I polished the trigger parts up with my dremel and that trigger was as slick as glass. I gave the pistol to my daughter when she got married....she loves it.

Dogjaw

denfoote,
If your last posting was directed at me, your correct in your ASSUMPTION that I haven't shot a PT-145.
Nor am I going to start now. Why? Because I'm not going to buy one. wHY? because I don't like the trigger. Plain, simple and REALISTIC. In case you haven't noticed, the trigger is the operating mechanism. If you don't like the way something operates, why buy it? Why do you think there's so many S/A 1911 owners out there? Is all that experience with the PT-145 due to the long break-in period? It's great that you like it. I'm happy for you. If I were to guess, this is why there is more than one gun manufacturer out there. Sure pistols get better during a break-in period. I'd just rather purchase one that starts where some others finish. And I'm not talking about the long trigger pull of a dao, or "getting used to it". I'm strictly on the subject of a jerky trigger that should have been cleaned up at the factory for the cost of 5 bucks rather than having to half wear it out or play gun smith to make it right. I'm going to buy a dao in the next 3 weeks, it just won't be the Tarus.

Gusgus

I picked up a PT-145 yesterday despite the trigger. Why? Because it's the smallest, lightest, 10 +1 .45 on the market, and is backed by Taurus, a company I have come to respect. Is the trigger crap? Sure it is, but so was the trigger on my Bulgie Mak when I first wiped off the cosmoline. My P-99 Walther also had a rough D/A trigger out of the box.

I like the pistol enough to work on the trigger to get it right. Of course it would have been better if Taurus had taken the time to do this, but they didn't. Keep in mind that this pistol was not designed for target shooting. It was designed to provide the most fire power possible, in the smallest, lightest package. It excels at what it was designed to do.

For those who don't like the trigger, no one is forcing you to buy one. If the trigger is your major concern when buying a firearm, that's your choice, and is fine with me. Everyone has criteria that is important to them. For me, size & capacity where far more important than a target trigger.

denfoote

Dogjaw,
I made my comments because I was truly confused. You stated that the ergonomics of the gun were more than satisfactory, yet you have rejected it because of what: you "heard" that the trigger was long and gritty???!!!:confused: Have you shot the gun...no!!! Have you tried the trigger...no!!! Have you rented one in order to test it...no!!!! Have you appearently rejected the weapon based on hearsay... probably!!!! If my comments enraged you, I apologise. However, it irritates me when someone makes statements based on hearsay that I personally know to be untrue. Go and rent the PT-145. Shoot it and then decide whether you like it or not. That's all I ask!!!!!

Big Al

PT 145 trigger

I had heard that the millenium series of guns had crappy triggers, and the PT 111 I picked up a year or so ago confiremed that rumor - but I picked up a stainless PT 145 a week or so ago at a gun show and was pleasantly surprised - the trigger mechanism seems to be much improved. Put it this way, it could be worse - like a Kel-Tec P-11 out of the box (I have one of those, which I like). Honestly, it felt pretty smooth and stack free - a lot better than any Ruger p-series I've tried out. Mabye because it's striker-fired instead of having a hammer to pull back?

-AL-

Blackhawk

to: TheBluesMan

LOL! I downloaded the PDF version of the Taurus manual, and that warning was on page 5. The manual seems to cover all Taurus pistols, and those warnings include not pointing the "gun" at anything you don't intend to shoot, always treating the "gun" as though it's loaded, etc. -- the "DUH" warnings.

I originally posed the question because I really can't figure out WHY dry firing would harm the pistol. It seems to have the desirable upside of breaking in the trigger mechanism, and short of dry firing it 43,000,000 times or so, I don't see a downside.

Blackhawk

KITT,
What did you use on your Dremel to polish the trigger parts? That sounds like a solution if Taurus doesn't void the warranty for somebody obviously having messed with it.

The warranty has some weasel words in it like using reloads, hand-loaded, remanufactured, or other "non-standard" ammunition voids all warranties. That's understandable, because somebody is likely to pack a shell with C4 in an attempt to achieve 4,000 fps from a .45.

However, Taurus should be very pleased if you just "finished" the manufacturing job!

Blackhawk

denfoote,

Sometime, somewhere somebody used the word "gritty" to describe the trigger action. It's quite descriptive, but I wonder if it hasn't just become an "urban legend" among pistol afficiandos, or should I say Taurus detractors, or how about Glock, etc., boosters? If it was true, I can't imagine Taurus selling more than a couple of pistols so affected or being so stupid as to ignore it.

What I wonder is whether dry firing is as effective at breaking in the trigger mechanism as live firing. The trigger has done its thing before the bang and subsequent after effects, so it should be immune to them. KITT's use of a Dremel to polish the parts is beyond most users and has warranty implications, but just pullin' the trigger is what it's designed for!

denfoote

I think it is the combination of the two. Dryfiring will work the trigger and striker mechanism. Live rounds will break in the whole pistol. When I first got it, I took it to my gunsmith and he told me to "fire about 200 rounds through it". "If it still is "gritty", then we'll do some polishing..." ;)

jtduncan

Let get REAL here.

You don't HAVE to break in a Glock, Sig, HK, or Kimber or any other quality gun. Just shoot it.

Now revolvers in particular do smooth out over time.

Yes, the action in a semi-auto polishes itself over time. But the above manufacturers don't require a "break in" period.

Kel Tec is famous for letting the consumers fluff and buff their $250 guns to refinement. So are .22lr conversion kit makers like Cienier and Advantage Arms.

But if you pay good money, $500 plus for a gun, a break in period tells a gunsmith, that your manufacturing tolerances, your tooling, or engineering designs were sloppy or you took the cheap route to keep the gun below a certain price point.

The Taurus PT-145 is a nice gun with great ergonomics. I shot about 80 rounds through my friend's PT-145. Accurate but I hated the trigger. Had about 350 rounds through it. The trigger action was still gritty. The second worst trigger I've ever pulled next to a Colt Pocket 9 I shot a year ago. They must have dropped in the sand on the way to the gunshop.

Pretty scary when even Tressitu, the TZ-99 guys can make a better action on a Sig P226 clone than on the PT-145.

Like it or not, there's is a growing grumbling about the triggers and the action on those Florida/Brazilian made PT-145s.

Where there is smoke, there is fire!!!!

If the action is designed with plastic, it can't be too reliable. Plastic can crack and chip quite easily. But it keeps the cost down.

Sorry but my action must be made of metal parts even if they are infection molded MIM.

Nice gun but for the money, if you're just going to carry it. But I have a working collection.

A Glock 30/36 is only a tad larger and can do 13 round hi caps and the trigger can be tuned by a knowledgeable Glockster. No gunsmith required.

Blackhawk

jtduncan,

So, you like Glocks...?

At $380, the PT-145 is a nice pistol. It's skinny for 11 rounds, light for a .45, short and squat, and other features that seem to have caught the fancy of a lot of enthusiasts. It seems that almost everybody except reviewers and owners gig it for a lousy trigger. Maybe it's sour grapes because their "favorite" is more expensive, bigger, heavier, less capacity, etc., so they cuss its trigger. I wonder what's going to happen when Taurus finds out that 10 minutes with a Dremel will make it silky smooth....

What I wanted to know is can dry firing help break in the trigger. You seem to confirm that, and that breaking it in helps.

Thanks!

Oh, Glocks ARE nice pistols ... too.