Psychotropic Drugs - Any Serious Investigation??

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Tackdriver, I'm a school teacher and I also sometimes work at a summer camp. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I do see the effects of the prescription culture on a daily basis and I can tell you that although some people on this thread might be mistaken as to cause and effect, they are not "talking out their rear ends." There's something going on here.

You say it's a chicken and egg question, but how then do you answer Neal Knox when he says to look for the variable that has changed? The drugs these people are taking are the biggest changes. Now, it's possible that depressed people have always been the ones committing these kinds of murders, so that now, when most depressed people are on medication, the medication would be involved even if it doesn't cause the person to act out.

But with the lack of studies, I have to rely on anecdotal evidence and common sense. I have several kids in my class on medication, and none of them need it. That's right, there are NO kids who need medication in my classes. Many of them could use better parenting IMO, but medication doesn't solve their problems. If you don't know that it's wrong to hit people, medicating you to the point that you don't feel like doing much is not going to teach you not to hit people.

My sister was depressed a couple of years ago. She went to a therapist, who saw her once, prescribed Zoloft, and made no effort at other treatment. She went INSANE. She had been depressed before, yes. But now she began accusing me of trying to break up her relationship with her boyfriend, shrieking like a wildcat at the slightest or no provocation. Again, I'm not a doctor, but it seemed to me that she was manic and depressive, not to mention inexpressably angry all the time. So she stopped taking the drug. She was depressed again for awhile; then she found a better job, clarified some things with her boyfriend, and by improving her life, seems to have gotten rid of her depression with no chemical help at all.

I'm NOT saying that all depressed people should "just get over it" or anything like that. I'm just saying that if Danielle could snap out of her depression and get over it by getting out of her rut, it doesn't seem to me to have been a chemical problem--so why were chemicals prescribed? Why are chemicals with unpredictable properties being prescribed for people, especially children, who don't seem to need them in the first place?

(If it seems like I was loaded for bear, I apologize. I had exactly this discussion with my wife in the car last night.)

Danger Dave

Another possibility...

Another factor in this problem, I believe, is that the Feds and most state gov'ts have gutted the funding for psychiatric care. So, what we're giving the truly mentally ill, as well as those of us that become temporarily out of kilter (depression, breakdowns, etc.), is basically an HMO quick-fix style of mental health care. People that should be closely watched, along with those who are just suffering from relatively minor disorders, are being told "take 2 pills & call me in the morning" & sent on their way after a 5 minute office visit. Also, many doctors with no real expertise in psychiatric care (e.g. Primary Care Physicians) are prescribing mind-altering drugs to their patients, with little understanding of either the problem or the "cure".

Eventually, we wind up paying for the care - or at least upkeep - of those who could have been treated, when they wind up incarcerated.

Just my 2 cents.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
"anomie"

The standards are probably not what is most important, but rather, that there is societal consensus. We are losing, or have lost, this.

Sword

If I may.

I am degreed in Psychology, am a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) certified in Texas and Florida, and am a certified QMRP (Qualified Mental Retardation Professional). I've worked in the field of mental retardation for eight years in Texas, and have seen numerous occasions of mis-prescribed psychoactives to mentally retarded individuals. Some Psychiatrists will prescribe without concern or serious follow-up. Some (I had the pleasure of working with one) WOULD follow-up, and adjust dosage or change medication if necessary, to achieve the desired effect with no side effects. Anecdotally, I've seen these same drugs prescribed to school-age children in several cases where drugs were not indicated, and, cases where drugs may have been indicated, but follow-up and dosage adjustment was not carried out. My dismay with the system of drug use among the mentally retarded population (essentually, a "captive group" of subjects) led to my resignation from state employment. I might note that my wife, who has had three strokes, suffers from clinical depression, and is dying from failing kidneys, is taking psychoactives to control her depression, with blood tests and urine tests performed to monitor drug level and effectiveness.
Too often, drugs are seen as a panacea, rather than as one possible tool in an arsenal.

hammer4nc

Jody, thanks for the links. From your second one:

"IRS officials said...he should not have been surprised at the decision to take part of his salary. They said McDermott should have received at least two notices, by mail or in person, informing him that a portion of his wages would be seized, according to IRS policy."

How disconnected and arrogant is this??? SURPRISED? Of all the emotions I might attribute to McDermott in the wake of this tragedy, surprise is not one of them. Anger and despair, yes. Surprise, no.

Jody Hudson

Another Reference Link

Here is something else I just found:
http://www.egroups.com/message/drugawareness/139

According to this the murderer (actually the shrinks are the murderers) who pulled the trigger so many times was on perhaps 3 drugs all of which are not supposed to be used with either of the others. I would like to see each of the victims place suits against the prescriber and the pharmacist, the doctors, drug store, etc. who allowed this prescription. Maybe that would begin to send a message to these irresponsible murderers who prescibe and fill the prescriptions for these mental-drug-bombs.

guerilla1138

I have had a good deal of close contact with people on zoloft/prozac ect.
My dad's on zoloft and at times i have noticed that his behavior is pushed to an extreme, but i'll tell you here nad know that i can deal with someone who is just being extreme in his actions, and that its totally prefferable to dealing with a raving depressive.
My best firends mother is on prozac and her behavior extremes go up and down all the time, one minute she's cool and laid back the next she all but nuts.

Its a different thing for different people, not everyone on such drugs has their behaviors pushed to the extreme, but some do.
everyone reacts to drugs differently, and therefore we cant just make generalized statements that "well they were on anti-depressants so its no suprise" that kind of thing just doesnt work, it rings untrue often, its not fair to anyone on such medications and it helps to spread a fear of people on such drugs.

Also I think that a study of such things is not a real great thing to do, because how many people who these drugs help would be S.O.L if it was found that these drugs did make people become maniac's, even if it was a minority of users, and then took them off the market.
Think how many more incedents liek this would happen if these drugs were not around.

BTW I think that Tackdriver makes some damn good points, and i am inclined to agree with him on this issue.

Ok I fear i ramble on and i think i have stated my point so i'll stop now.

gitarmac

People seemed to have gotten by just fine before the use of such drugs. They fought terrible wars, lost loved ones, went through terrible economic depression. I know people that take "the pills" also, many didn't even know they were depressed till someone put the idea in their head! I don't think doping up a whole nation just so mental illness "isn't stigmatized" is a good solution to a problem that seems to be propetuated by the mental health industry. When they start making statements like "80% of the population suffers from [insert fad pschobabble here] then there is an ethical problem going on here. Since when was life supposed to be so happy and problem free?! There has always been mental illness but now it is so polically incorrect to question the motives or credibility of psychiatry there is more harm than good coming from these drugs. Then they have the gall to talk about how bad pot is.

Phred

I'm sure that there are problems with antidepressants being overprescribed, or prescribed by doctors who don't do proper followup, warn patients about side effects, etc. Having said that, I'll share my personal experience with antidepressants.

Several years ago, I found myself extremely depressed, at a time when there was absolutely no outward reason for me to be depressed. It's hard to explain the warped thinking of clinical depression to someone who hasn't experienced it. One of the worst symptoms was that I couldn't sleep, no matter how much I exercised and avoided caffeine. I was later told that insomnia is one of the signs that a depression is biochemical rather than psychological. (Try surviving on four hours sleep a night for several months.) After being prescribed a well known antidepressant, I was experiencing normal sleep and normal enjoyment of life within a week.

Side effects? Sure. The medication made me drowsy and probably impaired my overall productivity. However, that beats being in emotional agony all the time. By the way, prior to this I had done therapy, 12 step work, etc to deal with PTSD and my Bates Motel upbringing, and I thought that depressed people were whiners who just needed to suck it up and "do their work." I didn't believe that there was such a thing as biochemical depression. I was wrong.

Jeff Thomas

Also I think that a study of such things is not a real great thing to do, because how many people who these drugs help would be S.O.L if it was found that these drugs did make people become maniac's, even if it was a minority of users, and then took them off the market. {i]Think how many more incedents liek this would happen if these drugs were not around. - guerilla1138

guerilla1138, I do disagree.

I believe that truth and facts are good things to know, so that you can make logical decisions. And, I think studies of this subject are very important. The alternative is to bury our head in the sand, and hope we don't have any more problems. I don't see that as the logical, mature approach.

And, your last statement is essentially the point. We may ... may .... be having more of these incidents because of these drugs. If that is the case, I think I want to know that. If I had an employee on these drugs, I would want to make sure he / she is having regular checkups to confirm the dosages are correct. And, I think I would have the right and the responsibility to make sure that employee was not a significant threat to my employees or me.

Look at it this way ... as a parable. What if you had a relatively placid society, which included some members who were depressed. But, in their depression they were unproductive, perhaps suicidal, but otherwise harmless. Now you introduce a drug to that society which makes 95% of the depressed people feel better, but the other 5% become homicidal maniacs ... who use the normal tools of society (including firearms) to commit mayhem. Wouldn't it be pertinent to understand that the new drug was having that effect? Wouldn't that effect be something you would want to consider as you measured the 'benefit' of that drug to society?

Now, this also begins to get into some 'War on Some Drugs' and individual freedom questions. But still ... I'm very curious about the reality of this situation. If these drugs are having these side effects, and those side effects are, in essence, being used to restrict the ability of Americans to defend themselves ... then I believe this deserves some serious investigation and discussion.

To put it more bluntly, wouldn't it be interesting if the Bill of Rights was dismantled because too many members of our society were drugged ... legally. Interesting possibility.

Regards from AZ

Phred

Jeff:
No offense, but doesn't the third paragraph of your post sound a little bit like the thinking of some of the antigun companies we're often urged to boycott?

Substitute "guns" for "medications" and you'll see what I mean -- "Don't I have a right to know if some of these gun nuts work here (or shop here?)" "How do we know they're not a threat to our safety?"

Answer: Your gut and common sense will tell you which employees are trouble. If someone has given you no reason to believe they're likely to act violently, then they're not.

Jeff Thomas

Phred, I disagree ...

... I think there is a considerable difference.

Again, we're speaking in hypotheticals here, which is often dangerous. However, from my perspective, there is a world of difference between someone interested in firearms, and someone taking various psychotropic drugs.

If those drugs have a clear relationship with homicidal behavior, I think that bears no relationship with a company making and selling a legal piece of hardware. Any private property can be abused. However, prescribed medication may be directly affecting behavior.

If you sell a gun to me in a private transaction, and you have no special knowledge of me one way or the other, what I do with that gun is not your responsibility. The gun doesn't make me do anything ... it is a piece of metal, wood and plastic. OTOH, if you prescribe medication to me that causes me to go off the deep end and murder people, and you have reason to believe that there is a 5% chance I will do so, that is significantly different. Pieces of hardware don't affect behavior. Drugs do.

I agree that this can get a bit sticky. But really ... isn't the first question whether or not there is any flame in this smoke? If these drugs are helping to create this behavior, then there are potentially serious legal implications to that finding. Plus some egg on a few faces, including the FDA. And, you know the government ... they so hate to admit mistakes.

Regards from AZ

Phred

Jeff:
I agree with you as far as legal liability in selling a gun in comparison to prescribing a medication. I was responding to your hypothetical question about whether an employer was entitled to know if employees were on psych meds -- my answer would be "no". I was arguing employee privacy, rather than the liability of drug companies. IMHO, for an employer to "monitor" the medication of his employees would be as intrusive as "monitoring" their gun ownership. Neither psych medication nor gun ownership per se indicate a tendency toward criminal violence.

From a tactical viewpoint, an employer generally knows which employees have the capacity to "go postal" by their behavior. If an employee has major problems and they are untreated, or the treatment is "not working", it's usually all too obvious. Some private security agencies now help corporations safely fire "high risk" employees, a la Gavin de Becker.

You might interested in the book "The Power To Harm", by John Cornwell. It deals with the lawsuit against Prozac's manufacturers after the 1989 shooting spree in Louisville. The suit went to trial, and the trial ended in a legal deal that is too complex to explain here -- the shorthand version is that the jury found Eli Lilly "not liable", but they paid the plaintiffs a shocking amount of money anyway.

Jeff Thomas

Phred, thank you.

I appreciate the reference to that book - I'll check it out ... sounds right on point for this discussion.

Regarding your concern about employers knowing the med's of their employees - I agree. I'm bothered by that concept as well, and I'm just 'noodling' this issue. There is a libertarian's challenge here, including some very real health and safety issues.

As a libertarian, I'm still not troubled by an employer's right to drug test employees, both randomly and after an accident. The employment relationship should be a private, contractual relationship ... and, the employer can require that his / her employee is not high on the job. The employer also has liability concerns about the actions of employees - for example, the employer will be held liable if the employee kills someone with a company vehicle, and the employee is intoxicated.

So, if these psychoactive drugs, either by their nature, or because of improper use and / or monitoring cause a certain percentage of people to become psychotic, then I believe that is an issue of concern for the employer.

But, I'm still working on whether or not these drugs are a significant factor in some of these massacres. If they are, then there is a host of other issues to consider, and some certainly will be issues of privacy. This whole area seems very challenging.

And, I find it very interesting that the anti-self defense movement seems totally oblivious to this possibility .... not surprisingly, they have blinders on for anything that doesn't support getting rid of firearms, at least from the hands of honest Americans.

Regards from AZ

guerilla1138

I did manage to leave out part of my thoughts in my previous post.
I had intended to say that while i felt it had some down sides that i did feel studies are needed, without them there would be no reason to try harder to develop better drugs.

and gitarmac,
You may have a point, but i can tell that you have not lived with a depressive for any great length of time, or so it would appear, with depressives like ym dad you wouldnt know that he was a depressive just from being around him soemtimes, like a friend would, but if you lived with him you would see it, after a little while anyway.
sometimes its hard to see from the outside, and also soemtimes these people even tho they see it wont admit to it.

Tank Girl

I have to ask one thing about this thread... <deep sigh> Why are some of us now pointing the finger like we have ridiculed others for doing on the gun subject?

I've had my share of deppression and being around those that feel the same. My mother took me to a psychiatrist when I was in high school because she thought there was something 'wrong' with me. After meeting with my mother they automatically perscribed Prozac for me.

I took the perscription awhile and felt it was worthless and stopped, but my sister is now on it. She has always had a very low oppinion of herself but it is slowly getting better, and she say's the drug helps her.

Anything that makes her feel better about herself can not be concidered evil in my book. I will not go for either banning the drugs nor sueing the pharmisist or the doctor that perscribed any drugs to a murderer.

How much different is that then suing the guy with the FFL that sold the gun to someone who used it in a crime, or suing the local mini mart for selling alcohol to someone who then drinks it all on the way home and takes out another car? Alcohol, drugs, guns.... all are harmless in the right hands... and all could be deadly in others.

Research is always good. Studies are always good. It could be that the drugs are partially responsible, this we need to verify so it isnt wrongly perscribed in the future. But to say 'rid the country of these evil drugs' sounds very hypocritical to me.

Just my two cents..... Well... maybe my dollers worth.., :)