Pros / Cons - Known as "The Gun Guy" at Work

darrentxs

I work for a GIANT company and in my department I'm known as "The Gun Guy".

Is being known like that good or bad?

What's your take on it fellow "Gun People"?

darrentxs

I guess if I think about it, one good thing came out of it back in '99. A co-worker inherited a bunch of guns and didn't want them.

He took them to a gun store & they low-balled him on the buy offer. We were buddies & he offered them to me at $500 less than they offered. I told him they were worth alot more but he insisted I take them for that & no more. It was probably the best deal I'll ever fall into.

Shorts

If you're known as 'the gun guy' in your circle or around your area, you can do a lot of good that way. By behaving like a sane knowledgeable friendly guy in all areas aside from guns, you're making yourself a very presentable figure for guns.

I was 'the gun girl' in my circle. And I had a lot of chances to teach both about guns and other interests/skills. It was flattering to be that go-to person and you should take the position humbly, yet responsibly. Many times my friends put their trust in me as well as their support for my gun hobby because of who I was to them.

rogertc1

I am known as the gun and the car guy at work. A lot of people as me questions on both. Nothing wrong with that.

cavscout77

Got the same rap here. I like it and people know I am honest and knowledgeble. I get people wanting to buy and sell stuff all the time. I do the best I can to point them in the right direction. I also get the "If anything ever happens, I'm comeing to your house" comment.

buzz_knox

I'm in the same boat. It's had its good and bad times. Some have raised concerns about my shooting; I raised concerns about their having procreated. I never heard a word about it after that.

I've had others come to me for advice, and let some know they were about to get majorly hosed on a deal.

KMO

Downside Concerns?

darrentxs, You seem to be worried about the downside of being known as the "gun guy."

So they know you own some guns, & probably shoot them too. What's the concern here?

DEDON45

Well, I'm one of the owners of my company, and my employees know I'm a gun guy... no big deal, in SC there's a lot of us. I've had stuff shipped to the office before (like a slide I sent out to be milled, etc.) My #2 man is always "dragging" me to gun shows for some friendly advice on a purchase. Back when we had a retail store, and the area was suffering a ton of robberies (some getting close to violent) we stuck .38 Special under the counter, and told any employee to do what they thought was right if we were targeted (we were, but we got broken into after hours)... the only thing I told them specifically was that if they felt their life was threatened, that was their tool. Other than that cooperate if that's a way out, but if a gun is pointed at your face, well, it's your choice; I know what I'd do. Frankly, if someone had tried to rob us, my hope would not be that it would have to be used; however, if the BG got taken out, you can be assured I would have taken the employee out for a nice steak dinner and a round of drinks!

Funny; we also had some customers that ran an insurance business that was basically all cash (we're talking folks that pay for car insurance on a weekly basis); they started having armed robberies in the area, and even though they were self-proclaimed liberals (the definition is a little different here, I guess), behind every door there was a long arm, and every employee knew how to use 'em. Some of the folks with desks had revolvers in them. I was sitting at the owner's desk, waiting on a check, and saw the .357 sitting in the drawer when he opened it... he looked at me and grinned, saying "yep, there's more of them around; this is one thing we can agree on."

Last edited:

yourotherleft

It's never good. But the only thing I don't like about being recoqnized as Gun Guy at work is being joked around by some idiot friend saying "Don't piss him off, he'll shoot you dead" in front of other people. The problem is you can't really joke back and say "Yeah, I'll do that!". That will summon FBI to my door very quickly.

yourotherleft

Firearms hobby is a very sensitive hobby. Most firearms owner are responsible person who don't go around threatening other people, it's the people around you that may not be responsible by saying/joking around like that. When you tell them not to joke around about it, they probably say no big deal. I totally understand why it's not a big deal for them. It's because they don't owned one. Once they owned one, they'll understand.

My lesson learned is to let it go and most important, not to tell anyone about whether or not you have guns. So one more time, it's never good.

SkiShoot

I am a new shooter but knew a few long-time ones where I work. It is funny how people change when they learn you are a "gun guy". I don't talk about it to anyone except those I know very, very well... if they've already made a determination about my character and their impression is positive, then being the "gun guy" can do a lot of good like was said earlier. That way someone can pass on "oh I know John Doe, he's a good guy, not some crazy guy, and he shoots..." However, what I find most comical, is if someone you just met finds out your a "gun guy", then instantly you're some sort of vigilante Rambo who is kind of off-kilter... Then you basically can either never mention it and hope that opinion goes away, or endlessly try to talk them out of it, which never works anyway, since most people already have formed an opinion from some stereotype. What is with that double standard? So IMO, I keep it quiet.

darrentxs

We recently had abot 20 people transfer in from San Francisco. They just think differently I guess. Some are liberals to the bone and they aren't shy about it. Before they came, a few of us at work would talk firearms once in awhile. Seems like we whipser now.

I'm responsible & don't joke around about guns or threats at work that's for sure. There is no room for that and people have already been fired for making remarks, though not in my department. One guy made a "Gonna Go Postal" remark while waving his box cutter because he was ticked at a Quality Assurance person. He was fired that same day.

fat old gun nut

Gun guy

I'm also known as the "paranoid" gun guy in the family, but strangely members come to me asking gun questions all the time. I just smile and answer as honestly as I can. The family is no more gun friendly but I have, over the years, seen an increased amount of respect for my knowledge. My mother-in-law no longer is scared for my wife's safety, but is happy her daughter is well protected.

Mike40-11

Never really considered there to be a downside. Most of the folks at work know I'm a shooter. Then again, most of them know because we've discussed guns...

Of course, this is Michigan where the arguing about who gets what part of deer season off this year starts around January. :rolleyes:

UniversalFrost

I am known as the gun guy at work and most folks come to me with questions and I have helped to bring a few into the sport. The secretary asked for my help once when her FFL was giving her a line of BS and trying to sell he a gun she didn't want. I went along and got the guy straightened out and she got the gun she wanted.

I have always been the "gun guy" and the folks that know me aren't so freaked out when they see me take off my jacket and foreget I have a 1911 or 92FS suddenly out in the open. Plus the folks know who to go to when they need help or when the zombies come :D:p

10-96

I never really thought much about it either until I heard an employee tell a guy I was the local gun guy. He then asked her if she knew where I lived. I didn't know this dude from Adam, and he's asking somebody besides me where I live? The only thing I could think of to say at the time was, "You don't really need to know where I live. Now be sure to smile at all the cameras on your way out."

fivepaknh

It's never good. But the only thing I don't like about being recoqnized as Gun Guy at work is being joked around by some idiot friend saying "Don't piss him off, he'll shoot you dead" in front of other people. The problem is you can't really joke back and say "Yeah, I'll do that!". That will summon FBI to my door very quickly.

I get this at work and from all people its my manager. I told him to knock it off that it paints a bad picture of me. He apologized, but not to long after he did it again. I work in NH on the MA border and there’s plenty of anti’s around. The workplace shooting at Edgewater Technology happened not far from here. This is no place to joke like my manager did. I can’t stand the guy as it is. He knows one more time and I’m going to HR.

In my area being known as the gun guy is not good.